PDA

View Full Version : Flanking and Master of Tactics

MinotaurWarblad
2019-11-05, 03:05 PM
The rules on flanking state that you gain a +2 flanking bonus on a melee attack if you flank your opponent.
I am curious as to the interaction with the Marshall's Master of Tactics aura and the following three scenarios (all of which assume you have an ally helping you flank your opponent).

You have improved unarmed strike and are wielding a hand crossbow. You count as flanking the opponent with your unarmed strike, and therefore gain the aura bonus to damage rolls.
In this scenario, if you shoot the opponent with your hand crossbow, do you gain the damage bonus for that attack?

You cast Shocking Grasp and are considered armed, and count as flanking the opponent.
Do you gain the damage bonus on the touch attack granted by Shocking Grasp?

The third scenario requires a bit of explanation. The Bardic Music feature, "Inspire Courage", specifically states it provides a bonus to weapon damage rolls. Most spells and abilities that grant damage bonuses specifically state they apply to natural attacks, weapon attacks, or ranged/melee attacks.
However, a couple damage boosts (such as the Burning Rage spell and the Master of Tactics aura) don't list a specific kind of damage roll, leading me to believe that they apply to ALL damage rolls. For a spell like Fireball, +2 damage from Burning Rage is fairly unimpressive. For a damage-over-time or multi-attack effect, though, it adds up.
My question, then, is this: assuming you flank an enemy with some sort of melee weapon, is it possible that you can apply the Master of Tactics bonus to damage rolls that aren't made as part of an attack? Say, a fireball spell? I understand that, RAI, this bonus damage should reasonably be limited to ONLY creatures you are flanking, and probably only if there is an attack roll involved, but as far as RAW goes, does this work?

I'm particularly interested in this for an Abjurant Champion/Force Missile Mage who flies into the middle of combat and then bombards everything with magic missiles and other flashy-explodey spells. Adding his +11 Charisma modifier to the damage of each magic missile would be pretty intense.