PDA

View Full Version : Neutral Evil vs Lawful Evil vs Neutral Evil with Lawful tendencies.

Zhentarim
2019-11-06, 11:37 AM
In 3.5 cosmology, do each of these go to a different afterlife? How do I decide which one to send my player to?

liquidformat
2019-11-06, 12:05 PM
Does the player have a god/devil/demon he or she worships? send them there, if not send them to purgatory to be diveed up between the demons and devils like any other evil unclaimed soul

hamishspence
2019-11-06, 12:12 PM
Does the player have a god/devil/demon he or she worships? send them there, if not send them to purgatory to be diveed up between the demons and devils like any other evil unclaimed soul

It sometimes depends on where their patron deity, if they have one, resides, and how devoted they are to the deity (and how well they have furthered their deity's goals). Devoted followers of a deity may go to their deity's home plane even if their alignment doesn't exactly match.

Normally, NE characters go to Hades, Carceri, or Gehenna, LE characters go to the Nine Hells, and "NE with LE tendencies" characters go to Gehenna.

GrayDeath
2019-11-06, 12:51 PM
In 3.5 cosmology, do each of these go to a different afterlife? How do I decide which one to send my player to?

Unless you are literally your Playres God (in which case you dont need our Input anyway^), you dont send him to any Afterlife. ^^

Now more serious: It depends both on the exact Cosmology youa re using, and what exact deeds made him the Alignment he is AND if he ahs pledged himself to a particular God, as those often but not always override "Normal" Afterlife Disposition. (Which are Carceri, Gehenna, Hades or the 9 hells respectively)

hamishspence
2019-11-06, 12:55 PM
A LE character who is very close to the LE/LN border is a good candidate for Acheron, too.

Similarly, a NE character who is very close to TN, might be a good candidate for the Outlands (but residing in the appropriate Evil Gate Town).

Zhentarim
2019-11-06, 01:13 PM
A LE character who is very close to the LE/LN border is a good candidate for Acheron, too.

Similarly, a NE character who is very close to TN, might be a good candidate for the Outlands (but residing in the appropriate Evil Gate Town).

I’m sending him to the gatetown called “Torch”. I think that fits.

Bohandas
2019-11-06, 02:20 PM

Yes. Neutral Evil goes to Hades, lawful evil goes to Baator/9 Hells, Neutral Evil with lawful tendencies (and lawful evil with neutral evil tendencies) goes to Gehenna

Jowgen
2019-11-08, 12:16 PM
Formal worship of a deity or archfiend sends you to their realm/layer, but for the unaffiliated (or too casual to count), the assignments that the prior posts listed are correct.

Do note though that the system is not perfect. Baator has a tendency to claim wayward souls that shouldn't go there (persumably other flavours of LE in particular), which then end up on its shores and get hunted/branded by the resident Devils scavanging for souls, whereupon they are stuck. Also, some assorted spells/abilities can forcefully change where the soul of a slain creature goes.