PDA

View Full Version : Growing [Feats]

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-18, 08:19 AM
I think a major problem with many feats is they provide a fixed value to something, and this fixed value becomes increasingly irrelevant as you level up. I think feats need to be more like Power Attack, wherein the strength of the feat grows as you level up. The most common homebrewed feat that works like this is Two-Weapon Fighting, which combines TWF, ITWF, GTWF and PTWF into one feat. Therefore, I've altered several other feats that are more useful as you level up.

Weapon Focus - A bonus on attack equal to 1/4 your BAB, minimum +1
Weapon Specialization - A bonus on weapon damage equal to half your fighter level, minimum +2
Dodge - +1 for every 4 character levels, minimum +1
Weapon Mastery - Half the bonus from Focus and Specialization to each other weapon that applies, does not stack with Focus/Specialization, unlike the real Mastery
Great Fortitude/Iron Will/Lightning Reflexes - +1, with additional +1 for every five character levels.
Skill Focus - +2 with +1 for every four character levels.
Alertness (and other dual skill progressors) - +1 with +1 for every five levels.

How do they look? Personally, I think they're more appealing at higher levels.

Lochar
2007-10-18, 08:28 AM
That would make fighter bonus feats a little more open, since you'd only need to pick up focus and specialization for a weapon, and not need the greaters.

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-18, 08:31 AM
That's also part of the idea. Having to pick up Improved/Greater something or other really sucks up the feats you want for other things. That's a flaw I felt the Warblade has; it can take the Weapon Spec tree, but it doesn't really have the feats to afford it.

Keep in mind that Weapon Specialization still needs fighter levels to grow in strength.