PDA

View Full Version : Dropping light sources

HappyDaze
2019-11-06, 01:39 PM
Many situations arise where character might 'drop' an object to use the hand for something else (spells and loading a crossbow are common examples) and then pick it up again after taking an action. I know this can be (ab)used to silly extremes, but what I'm asking about right now is dropping light sources.

If a torch is dropped on a 'typical' stone floor, does it:

Stay lit or go out?
Give off the same radius of light as when held aloft or a lesser amount?

If a hooded lantern is dropped on a 'typical' stone floor, does it:

Stay lit or go out?
Get damaged from being dropped?
Spill oil?

If a bullseye lantern is dropped on a 'typical' stone floor, does it:

Stay lit or go out?
Get damaged from being dropped?
Spill oil?
Continue to shine in the direction it was when dropped, or does it land facing a random direction?

Ninja_Prawn
2019-11-06, 01:46 PM
Seems like the sort of thing you're better off ruling on the fly. Do whatever is most fun/coolest.

My opinion of what would be most realistic:

A torch stays lit (unless dropped in a puddle) and gives out roughly the same amount of light (but from 5 feet lower down).

A hooded lantern will probably smash if dropped on a hard floor, and might result in a patch of burning oil on the floor.

Bullseye lanterns appear to be more robust, with less glass in the construction. They will probably stay lit when dropped. I'd assume it rolls around, ending up pointing in a random direction.

Joe the Rat
2019-11-06, 03:02 PM
I'd expect adventuring lanterns to be fairly robust, but if you aren't using your free interaction to set it down, I'd roll for mishap (fall over/split and spill, damaging panes if shielded, pointing the wrong way, etc).
Torches I would give a chance of extinguishing or igniting the surrounds.

The old schooler in me says 50/50, changing to reflect the situation (hard surfaces are worse for lanterns but better on torches, wet/icy surfaces are more likely to extinguish. Roll it on a d20 so Lucky, Halfling Luck, and Divination wizards can be invoked.

HappyDaze
2019-11-06, 03:05 PM
I'd expect adventuring lanterns to be fairly robust, but if you aren't using your free interaction to set it down, I'd roll for mishap (fall over/split and spill, damaging panes if shielded, pointing the wrong way, etc).
Torches I would give a chance of extinguishing or igniting the surrounds.

The old schooler in me says 50/50, changing to reflect the situation (hard surfaces are worse for lanterns but better on torches, wet/icy surfaces are more likely to extinguish. Roll it on a d20 so Lucky, Halfling Luck, and Divination wizards can be invoked.

I certainly agree that using the interaction to set it down should do so without any adverse effects, but what I'm talking about are people just dropping the lantern (or torch) and then using their object interaction for something else.

Aimeryan
2019-11-06, 03:08 PM
In and of it self, if not dropped from some height, they would remain as they are. Further circumstances may change that - if you drop a torch into a lake it is going to go out.

CapnWildefyr
2019-11-06, 03:19 PM
In my group we usually play this loosely, because its not usually worth worrying about. That being said, if you're standing in a swamp or on the deck of a rolling ship at night--different story. I would probably also preface any call for a check with "You realize you're standing on the deck of a flammable, rolling ship, right?"

I would not think a torch would normally sputter out after dropping a few feet. I would not rule that a lantern spills oil unless it gets damaged. I'd roll a d20 vs easy DC5, maybe Dc10 for rougher ground. In a boulder field, forget it unless they set it down.

Of course in my group we also tend to walk with a lantern in one hand and weapon in the other.

nickl_2000
2019-11-06, 03:47 PM
"You realize you're standing on the deck of a flammable, rolling ship, right?"

The proper response to this is: "You are right, I will instead throw the lantern full of oil onto the enemy ship"

HappyDaze
2019-11-06, 05:52 PM
To be fair, IRL lanterns were often the only light sources allowed on ships precisely because they didn't have open flames. OTOH, in the movies, they do tend to start fires whenever knocked over or dropped, and I think D&D cleaves far closer to cinema than reality.

micahaphone
2019-11-06, 06:01 PM
Now you've got me thinking of an artificer striking it rich with anti-cinematic fires nautical lamps.

"Observe how there are two layers of glass between the outside and the flame. You simply fill up the gap with seawater, and when dropped, the water will douse the flame before the dramatic fire starts next to the powder magazine"

Ninja_Prawn
2019-11-07, 04:51 AM
Now you've got me thinking of an artificer striking it rich with anti-cinematic fires nautical lamps.

"Observe how there are two layers of glass between the outside and the flame. You simply fill up the gap with seawater, and when dropped, the water will douse the flame before the dramatic fire starts next to the powder magazine"

Reminds me of the sympathy-powered deck lamps from Kingkiller Chronicle...

CapnWildefyr
2019-11-07, 09:05 AM
Now you've got me thinking of an artificer striking it rich with anti-cinematic fires nautical lamps"

Or just use continual flame. :smallbiggrin: