PDA

View Full Version : So, 4 Elements Monk...

Undyne
2019-11-06, 04:14 PM
Would it be unbalanced to just make Ki costs for the spells equal to the spell level instead of one point higher like it is in the PHB?

Aett_Thorn
2019-11-06, 04:46 PM
From what I’ve seen, it depends on how many encounters/short rests your party tends to have in a day. If you’re doing the recommended 6/2, then lowering the costs will be a bit overpowering at higher levels. If your group isn’t taking a bunch of short rests, then lowering the spell costs is probably fine.

My reasoning here is that because Monks get their Ki back on a short rest, that will allow them to cast more spells over the course of the day. But if you’re not regaining resources by short resting, then it’s actually more balancing to let them cast more spells.

NaughtyTiger
2019-11-06, 04:48 PM
in my experience, it isn't unbalanced. and actually encourages a 4E to do 4E stuff.

Kane0
2019-11-06, 04:50 PM
No, it would not.

Edit: Alternatively, consider granting a 4E monk bonus Ki equal to their Wis mod that can only be used for their disciplines, as a means of avoiding them just spamming Stunning Strike

Composer99
2019-11-06, 05:35 PM
Would it be unbalanced to just make Ki costs for the spells equal to the spell level instead of one point higher like it is in the PHB?

It can be at high levels. From 18th level, with the ki costs as-is, a 4E monk who gets 2 short rests can cast, say, cone of cold 9 times in an adventuring day. If spells cost their level in ki that happens at 15th level, and a 20th level monk can cast it 12 times in a day with 2 short rests.

At low levels, though, the 4E monk could stand to have a boost.

Kwinza
2019-11-07, 04:01 AM
It can be at high levels. From 18th level, with the ki costs as-is, a 4E monk who gets 2 short rests can cast, say, cone of cold 9 times in an adventuring day. If spells cost their level in ki that happens at 15th level, and a 20th level monk can cast it 12 times in a day with 2 short rests.

At low levels, though, the 4E monk could stand to have a boost.

And how exactly is a 15th level character getting 9 casts of CoC per day overpowered... by 15th level is really not a great spell.

Remember when talking about the balance of giving 4E monks more casts that the "monk spell list" absolutely sucks.

Composer99
2019-11-07, 08:09 AM
And how exactly is a 15th level character getting 9 casts of CoC per day overpowered... by 15th level is really not a great spell.

Remember when talking about the balance of giving 4E monks more casts that the "monk spell list" absolutely sucks.

The point is that eventually, the 4E monk is spamming spells at a rate comparable to a warlock or a sorcerer who is burning slots and sorcery points to cast spells of a comparable level despite also being a monk, who, at the end of the day, is not meant to be a "primary caster".

If the "spell list" is a problem, the answer is more options for elemental disciplines, and the ability to get more of them, not necessarily the ability to use them more often.

-----

Speaking generally, I think the 4E monk would be fine if, along with extra disciplines known, it got actual features at 6th, 11th, and 17th level, the way the eldritch knight and arcane trickster get actual features along with their spellcasting, especially if those features help the 4E monk keep monking despite using its ki on disciplines.

At 6th level, for instance, I think it would be good if the monk got the ability to make an unarmed strike as a bonus action on any turn in which it uses its action to use an elemental discipline.

stoutstien
2019-11-07, 08:31 AM
If you run the pre ettra 4 element Monk with ba water whip they actually are pretty solid. They have the niche if ki dumping for spring spike damage. To this day I could never understand why of all things they changed it