PDA

View Full Version : Gritty realism

carrdrivesyou
2019-11-06, 11:50 PM
Looking at running a short rest character for the titled style of game. I don't want to do another warlock, so what other builds do you lot know of?

FabulousFizban
2019-11-07, 12:00 AM
monk or druid

Dork_Forge
2019-11-07, 12:32 AM
Battlemaster Fighter, any Monk, Rogues are pretty rest agnostic, Wizards can regen some slots on a short rest.

What level will you be playing at and what kind of character do you want to play?

Talsin
2019-11-07, 11:26 AM
I find the fighter archetypes to be pretty fun for Gritty Realism, Eldritch knight is probably one of the more difficult ones to use for that format, but still quite fun.
Champion is my pick for GR, trying to take any feats that can boost your tankiness will also be beneficial - Tough and Durable are pretty handy for GR if you've got good CON.

Ranger is also a good option for the survivalist aspects though I think Scout Rogue does better for that.

JellyPooga
2019-11-07, 12:05 PM
My 1st go-to for a gritty realism game would be Warlock, but that's off the table. My second instinct is Rogue; pretty much any archetype but Arcane Trickster. Rogues do well regardless of the number or frequency of rests and also tend to be capable of operating at high efficiency without relying as much on other party members, compared to many other classes. Yes, of course they benefit from teamwork, but they aren't as reliant on it as much as, for example, a Wizard might be reliant on a meat-shield.

I would tend to avoid Full-casters that don't have significant alternative class features (e.g. Sorcerer is a big NO for me, but Moon Druid is solid because Wild Shape recharges per SR), as well as classes that only replenish resources on a long rest, such as Paladin or Barbarian. Not being able to use your main features because you haven't taken a weeks' holiday recently...well, it kinda sucks. On the flipside, though, I guess it could be exciting to do the whole "bide your time, until it's time for the big-gunz" schtick...never tried it in GR, so couldn't say.

carrdrivesyou
2019-11-07, 04:14 PM
Battlemaster Fighter, any Monk, Rogues are pretty rest agnostic, Wizards can regen some slots on a short rest.

What level will you be playing at and what kind of character do you want to play?

I'm amenable to anything but druids. Just don't like the class. Never have. Just looking for ideas really, so throw your best at me! 😀

ChiefBigFeather
2019-11-07, 05:37 PM
Arcane Archer :)

JellyPooga
2019-11-07, 05:49 PM
For more specific answers/ideas, you'll need to give more details about what style of campaign it might be, beyond just saying it's gritty realism.

e.g. suggestions for a political intrigue game are going to differ from an exploration/adventuring game.

carrdrivesyou
2019-11-08, 12:20 AM
For more specific answers/ideas, you'll need to give more details about what style of campaign it might be, beyond just saying it's gritty realism.

e.g. suggestions for a political intrigue game are going to differ from an exploration/adventuring game.

It would be more of an exploration into hostile and unknown territory. Might be some social stuff once we find the natives or small mining towns we run across

Dork_Forge
2019-11-08, 03:23 AM
It would be more of an exploration into hostile and unknown territory. Might be some social stuff once we find the natives or small mining towns we run across

That sounds pretty perfect for a new UA Ranger (I'd dip Fighter for more SR resources and the FS), stalk through the enemies territory with a bow (and perhaps a MI acquired familiar) and by the time your party are ready to attack you've already scoped out the lay of the land and the enemy strength.

What level are we talking starting at and running to?

Talsin
2019-11-08, 12:14 PM
Valor Bard. Everyone will love you.
They'll love you in combat when you give them bardic inspiration on armor.
They'll love you out of combat when you use expertise to NOT get stabbed or poisoned.
They'll love you on a short rest when you increase the return on HD healing.
They'll love you on a long rest because you're the prettiest and best lover.

Teaguethebean
2019-11-08, 12:19 PM
Everything said above is exactly how it goes. I am running a gritty realism game and the bards song of rest makes all the difference. And ever since they reached Level 5 he has been a massive force with Bardic inspiration.

Magicspook
2019-11-08, 06:26 PM
Arcane Archer :)

I second this

MaxWilson
2019-11-08, 09:49 PM
Looking at running a short rest character for the titled style of game. I don't want to do another warlock, so what other builds do you lot know of?

Why not a character who doesn't need rests at all, like a Mobile Sharpshooter?