PDA

View Full Version : What's a guy/gal gotta do to level up around here?

HappyDaze
2019-11-07, 07:37 AM
In a 5e game, characters have just earned enough XP for their next levels. When does the level-up happen?

Immediately?
After the characters complete their next long rest?
After the characters complete their next period of downtime?
Between the end of the current session and beginning of the next session?

I'm the DM, and I'm currently leaning towards #2, but I'm curious what others do.

Imbalance
2019-11-07, 07:48 AM
I dunno about most, but I've seen a lot of 4 in conjunction with 2 or 3.

I've only been the DM for, like, three months, and my players are only level 3, but somehow it feels like I've already done all 4...:smalleek:

nickl_2000
2019-11-07, 07:48 AM
Typically my table is a combination of #2 and #4. XP calculations are send out after the end of a session, so we don't know if we level mid session. Also, a long rest tends to be a very good stopping point for the session.

Every once in awhile we will stop in the middle of something because it is super late. When that happens the DM just tells us that we will be levelling in the middle of the next session and make sure you are ready for it.

The easiest answer, eschew all of those options and go with milestone leveling. You can tell them to level whenever you want that way!

noob
2019-11-07, 07:54 AM
Throw a four sided dice to pick then discover someone was impaled on the four sided dice and resume play with one player or gm going to the hospital?

Arkhios
2019-11-07, 08:24 AM
There is actually a variant rule in DMG that I personally prefer (because it just feels more immersive) over leveling up in an instant (or waking up from the long rest as having gained the new level overnight):

As a variant rule, you can require characters to spend downtime training or studying before they gain the benefits of a new level. If you choose this option, once a character has earned enough experience points to attain a new level, he or she must train for a number of days before gaining any class features associated with the new level.

The training time required depends on the level to be gained, as shown on the Training to Gain Levels table.

The training cost is for the total training time.

Levels 2nd-4th, the training cost is 20 gp and the time required is 10 days.
Levels 5th-10th, the training cost is 40 gp, and the time required is 20 days.
Levels 11th-16th, the training cost is 60 gp, and the time required is 30 days.
Levels 17th-20th, the training cost is 80 gp, and the time required is 40 days.

Of course, the time required is very arbitrary and certainly malleable if you feel like changing it. But I like the concept a lot myself.

As for what the cost is for, that's entirely between the DM and the player to decide. It could be for a variety of things, from simple upkeep at a local tavern, to finding and paying for studying materials and/or a (willing) teacher, to procure materials you experiment with, or whatever else you come up with and find reasonable.

DeTess
2019-11-07, 08:31 AM
In a 5e game, characters have just earned enough XP for their next levels. When does the level-up happen?

Immediately?

I'm the DM, and I'm currently leaning towards #2, but I'm curious what others do.

I've seen all versions of this, but typically number 4, as that means that there isn't any downtime during the session in which everyone levels. I'd say this, in part also depends on how you handle experience. Mile-stone XP naturally tends towards #4 in my experience, while when you're actually counting XP it tends towards #1-3.

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-07, 08:45 AM
When does the level-up happen?

Immediately?

I'm the DM, and I'm currently leaning towards #2, but I'm curious what others do. In every game I have played in it was #2.

Here is how Adventurer's League does it;

Character Advancement
A character who earns enough XP to advance a level can do so at the end of a long rest or at the end of an episode or an adventure. A character who earns enough renown to advance a rank in his or her faction can do so at the end of an episode or an adventure. Note your new level or rank on your character sheet and in the notes section of your adventure logsheet.

Catullus64
2019-11-07, 08:50 AM
While the long-rest/end of session type of leveling is my usual there is something to be said for the occasional in-the-moment level up.

You have to play it somewhat by ear to make it work, and it's generally best done for levels that don't involve new spell levels, but the payoffs can be fun. Here's my compressed narrative framing of one truly amazing time the DM let us level up right after a fight. (Warning: Wordiness incoming.)

Our 1st-Level party was badly injured, having just clawed our way through a swathe of goblins; and we heard more coming down the tunnel. We barred the door and tried to hold it, but the goblins simply began hacking it to pieces with hatchets. We retreated, and found that another group of goblins had taken a side path to cut off our retreat. Things were desperate, but we weren't letting these gobbos take us down easy. As we prepared to take them on, something clicked within us. The wizard began focusing intensely, pushing his mental focus further than he had ever been required to, drawing upon hitherto untapped reserves of power. Our warlock began muttering dark and jumbled words, her desperation rededicating her to the powers of the abyss. As the goblins burst through the ruined door, and spells began to fly, the monk found unexpected clarity in the moment of chaos, and he perceived for the first time the flow of ki of which his masters had spoken; in a whirlwind of fists, he charged into the enemy, laying them low all about him. And I, our humble rogue, my heart pumping and my nerves on full fire, found new spring in my step, dodging here and there, dashing nimbly behind the enemy to strike at their archers from a blind spot, weaving in and out of cover. At long last we broke through their rear and fled, jubilant, into the sunlight, knowing we would return again, stronger, to finish what we started.

Sigreid
2019-11-07, 08:59 AM
Our group most often handles level up between sessions.

Keravath
2019-11-07, 09:01 AM
In every game I have played in it was #2.

Here is how Adventurer's League does it;

The example was how AL did it years ago when AL awarded XP.

In season 9 the current rule is:

"Character Advancement
Your character gains a level upon completing an adventure. In hardcover adventure sessions, your DM will tell you when you’ve gained a level. Otherwise if, after four hours of play (or eight hours at tiers 2 – 4) in a hardcover adventure, your DM doesn’t tell you that you’ve gained a level, you gain a level. In this instance your character advances to the next level at the end of the session. If you’d like to continue playing at your current level, you can decline to gain a level, although it has an impact on other rewards that you receive."

So, AL currently uses the end of session or end of adventure approach unless a DM in a hardcover decides to level up the characters sooner or at a particular point in the plot.

stoutstien
2019-11-07, 09:02 AM
End of next long rest here. They way i run xp my players' characters level at different rates so it made the most sense.

Sigreid
2019-11-07, 09:30 AM
The exception is sometimes whoever is DMing will allow a levelling up if it's just prior to a big fightt.

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-07, 10:29 AM
The example was how AL did it years ago when AL awarded XP. After season 7 ended, I gave up on AL.

You are right, that is how AL did it when XP was tracked.

Slipperychicken
2019-11-07, 10:33 AM
Between sessions

With 4-5 hour sessions we just don't have the time for either leveling-up or downtime activity.

Dankus Memakus
2019-11-07, 11:49 AM
My group has always done it instantly. Sometimes it creates really cool senarios and everyone seems pleased with that.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-07, 12:18 PM
I will say 1 or 4 depends on how ready are the players to level up(some need 5 seconds and some need 5 days).

Vessyra
2019-11-07, 03:10 PM
Usually no. 2, although I've played with DMs who do no. 3. I've never seen no. 4 used, except out of coincidence (when the players reach next level XP at the end of the session) though I can see the appeal. Once, I decided to use no. 1 just because, which once lead to the dwarf fighter getting knocked out, then levelling up when an ally took out an enemy, thus gaining hp from the level up and proceeding to blast everything with his new abilities. (Though, the level up mid combat does slow things down a bit... so unless it had an immediate effect like above, we would wait until after the situation had been resolved)

Calen
2019-11-07, 04:25 PM
All the tables I have played at use #4 AND #2/3.
We don't level up mid session (mostly because these sessions tend to be shorter)
We don't level up if the players are in the middle of something (like a battle) if the xp earned in a session causes a level up and they are in the middle of battle the level up is deferred to the end of next session.

Yunru
2019-11-07, 05:19 PM

Immediately?

As written, 1.
In practice, 4.

As soon as you hit the XP threshold you level up. However that's a lot of bookwork for the middle of a session, so if they're close I have them work out their next level before the session, or if it's a surprise level up then it's delayed until afterwards.

Theodoxus
2019-11-07, 05:30 PM
In my games, 90% of the time, I let them level up between sessions. The other 10%, if they've completed a story arc or a chapter in a module and have a few hours left in the session, I've allowed them to level up while I take a 10 minute break.

In a game I'm currently playing in, the DM went old school - has us spend at least a week "training" in town; developing a church or thieves guild or somesuch. That can happen at any time in the session we've earned a milestone. So far, we've leveled post session, and once mid session. It's been nice to have the added RP of training montages.

Yunru
2019-11-07, 05:45 PM
It's been nice to have the added RP of training montages.

Isn't the point of gaining XP that it is the training montage?

Tawmis
2019-11-07, 06:04 PM
I think it depends on how experienced with D&D your players are.

With experienced players, I'd do it after a long rest.

With inexperienced players, it'd be next session, so we can all sit around, discuss what changes and such, without interrupting the middle of the game.

As a side note - This, of course, is why I love Milestones, now. Because it allows me, as the DM, to say, "OK, we finished tonight's session. Everyone did great! We will level up next week when we play!"

ShikomeKidoMi
2019-11-07, 08:00 PM
Whenever both #4 and #2 coincide, usually.

Which is surprisingly often.

Zevox
2019-11-07, 08:04 PM
My group has always done #4. Though we actually ditched using experience at all in favor of the milestones method of leveling up years ago, so there's not really much chance of us reaching our level-up point in the middle of a session anyway.

Potato_Priest
2019-11-07, 08:06 PM
I really think what's ideal will depend on the experience level of your players. If they're new, you definitely want to do it at the table to avoid any confusion about how it works. If they're all hardened veterans, let them do it on their own time.

firelistener
2019-11-08, 12:55 AM
I will say 1 or 4 depends on how ready are the players to level up(some need 5 seconds and some need 5 days).

This is the exact same for me. I won't stop the game for someone to level, but if they can do all their stuff during a session I have no problem with them leveling in the middle.

Tanarii
2019-11-08, 01:02 AM
2, 3, and 4 all coincide IMC, so I chose that option.

Porcupinata
2019-11-08, 05:05 AM

Immediately?

"When it's convenient / narratively appropriate"

Which, in practice, is sometimes 2 and sometimes 3, especially if one of those co-incides with 4.

nickl_2000
2019-11-08, 06:20 AM
Whenever both #4 and #2 coincide, usually.

Which is surprisingly often.

I wouldn’t find it that surprising personally. A long test is a natural stopping point for the night after all.

Yunru
2019-11-08, 06:22 AM
I wouldn’t find it that surprising personally. A long test is a natural stopping point for the night after all.

But not the best one. Leave 'em on a cliffhanger I say.

DeTess
2019-11-08, 06:39 AM
But not the best one. Leave 'em on a cliffhanger I say.

No reason you can't do both.

PC: "we settle in for a long rest."
DM: "Okay, great. That's also going to be the end of today's session. But before we wrap up, I'd like PC1 and PC2 to roll a wisdom save, and PC3 to roll a perception (visual) at disadvantage."
PC's: 0.o *roll*
DM: *notes down results* "Okay, see you next session!"

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-08, 08:16 AM
PC: "we settle in for a long rest."
DM: "Okay, great. That's also going to be the end of today's session. But before we wrap up, I'd like PC1 and PC2 to roll a wisdom save, and PC3 to roll a perception (visual) at disadvantage."
PC's: 0.o *roll*
DM: *notes down results* "Okay, see you next session!" I have done roughly this twice in the past year with our weekly group, and the closing note is "OK, when we start next session, X chars are resting, Y1 and Y2 are on watch, and ... we'll start by rolling initiative when we begin"