PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Metamagic Options

Stupidly_Rogue
2019-11-07, 07:49 AM
Given Spell:
When you cast a spell with a range of Self, you can spend 1 sorcery point to target a willing creature within 60 feet of you. The target then becomes the point of origin of the spell. If the spell requires concentration, you maintain concentration on the spell. However, in order to cast a spell with a casting time of 1 reaction using the Given Spell, the trigger for the spell has to occur to the target.

Altered Spell:
When you take this Metamagic Option, choose two damage types. When you cast a spell that deals damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to replace the type of damage the spell deals with one of the damage types you chose when you picked this Metamagic Option.
If the spell deals multiple types of damage, you must spend 1 sorcery point for each damage type you wish to replace, choosing either of your chosen damage types for each damage type so replaced.
You may take this Metamagic Option multiple times; each time, you must select two different damage types.
At 10th level, you can cast cantrips using the Altered Spell without expending sorcery points.

Sudden Spell:
When a hostile creature targets you with an attack, spell, or other harmful effect, you can spend 2 sorcery points to be able to cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action or 1 bonus action as 1 reaction. To be eligible for Sudden Spell, a spell must at least affect either you or the hostile creature that targeted you. A spell you cast using the Sudden Spell interrupts the trigger, which resolves, if possible, after you resolve the spell's effects.

I hope you enjoy it. I would love some feedback!

Edit: A big thank you to Trandir and Composer99 for helping me out and providing feedback on these. These were my first homebrew creations and I really wanted to provide a bit of flare that I think are missing from the other Metamagic Options. I'm absolutely satisfied with what this great community has offer and I'm happy there are hepful people assisting the newbies. Thank you for taking the time to read through. Take care!

Trandir
2019-11-07, 09:39 AM
Looks good. I have a couple of questions:

Can you select force damage with altered spell?

If your familiar attacks you you can break the action economy pretty badly with sudden spell, right?

Stupidly_Rogue
2019-11-07, 09:58 AM
Looks good. I have a couple of questions:

Can you select force damage with altered spell?

If your familiar attacks you you can break the action economy pretty badly with sudden spell, right?

You can select any damage type. You can choose slashing damage and flavor an Altered Snilloc's Snowball Swarm as a swirl of swords. Get creative with it!
I'll change the wording so it will say "when a hostile creature targets you with an attack, spell or harful effect" to avoid that issue. I'll also add that the spell you cast has to at least affect either you or the target, but I'll remove it if there's a decent argument against this change
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! It means the world to me.

Composer99
2019-11-07, 10:18 AM
I like these, and I think they're pretty solid. A few suggestions on wording, though.

Given Spell:
When you cast a spell with a range of Self, you can spend 1 sorcery point to target a willing creature within 60 feet of you. The target then becomes the point of origin of the spell. If the spell requires concentration, you maintain concentration on the spell. Additionally, in the case of the spell requiring a trigger to occur such as with the Shield spell, you can cast it with the Given Spell, casting the spell on the target rather than yourself.

The final sentence is unnecessary as written, being redundant. I think that it would be better to specify instead that in order to cast a spell with a casting time of 1 reaction using this metamagic, the trigger for the spell has to occur to the target.

Altered Spell:
When you take this Metamagic Option, choose two damage types. When you cast a spell that deals damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to replace the type of damage the spell deals with one of the damage types you chose when you picked this Metamagic Option.
If the spell you cast deals multiple types of damage, you must spend an amount of sorcery points equal to the number of damage types you want to replace. If you replace more than one damage type, you can also replace them with more than one damage type.
At 10th level, you can cast cantrips using the Altered Spell without expending sorcery points.

I think the wording for the second paragraph is kind of awkward. Maybe try:

If the spell deals multiple types of damage, spend 1 sorcery point for each damage type you wish to replace, choosing either of your chosen damage types for each damage type so replaced.

Sudden Spell:
When a hostile creature targets you with an attack, spell, or other harmful effect, you can spend 2 sorcery points to be able to cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action or 1 bonus action as 1 reaction. A spell you cast this way is cast a split second before the attack, spell or harmful effect occurs, potentially stopping or placing you of reach of the attack, spell or harmful effect.

This is fine with the change suggested by Trandir. I would recommend adjusting the wording of the final sentence thusly:

A spell you cast using this metamagic interrupts the trigger, which resolves, if possible, after you resolve the spell's effects.

Stupidly_Rogue
2019-11-07, 10:28 AM
I like these, and I think they're pretty solid. A few suggestions on wording, though.

The final sentence is unnecessary as written, being redundant. I think that it would be better to specify instead that in order to cast a spell with a casting time of 1 reaction using this metamagic, the trigger for the spell has to occur to the target.

I think the wording for the second paragraph is kind of awkward. Maybe try:

This is fine with the change suggested by Trandir. I would recommend adjusting the wording of the final sentence thusly:

Thank you so much for your feedback! I knew that at least one person would notice all the technicality errors I made and would help me fix them. I appreciate all the help you can give me.

Trandir
2019-11-07, 11:54 AM
Well bow they look pretty balanced. Good Job.
Maybe a bit long compared to other metamagic but still good.

This thread also reminded me of
Maximize spell
When you roll any dice do determine the effect of a spell you can spend sorcery points equal to that spell level to use the max possible resoult instead of rolling. You can use this option even if you already used a metamagic option on the same spell. (Sleep op op at low levels)

Wide spell
By spending 2 sorcery points you can double the area of effect of any damaging spell.

Penetrating spell
By spending 2 sorcery point any spell can ignore any resistance a creature has. You can use this metamagic option even if you already used a metamagic option on that spell.

Lethal spell
When you roll damage dice you can spend sorcery points equal to that spell level to add dice equal to half of those dice to the roll.

Creating a new thread seems rendundant. Can we discuss about these too? If no I hunderstand.

Anyway again good job with yours