PDA

View Full Version : Spellstiched question?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-18, 09:57 AM
Spellstiched is a template from Complete Arcane for "any" corporeal undead with some interesting specials and some limited arcane spellcasting like a sorcerer with a wisdom of 10+ via the runes either carved into your bones or tattooed into your flesh. Once the creator decides which spells to imbue the creature with it cannot be changed.

So your PC is killed by the BBEG necromancer type and turned into an intelligent undead with the "Spellstiched" template from Complete Arcane.

Your PC buddies finally defeat him, destroy you as an undead so they can resurrect you. You are now resurrected and living.

This isn't a PRC. Your PC had a template added to it. Your PC still has the rune tattoos or carved bones from a template your PC normally could not receive as a living creature. What are your thoughts on the PC retaining the template now that they have been restored to life? Thanks.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-18, 09:59 AM
The "Vampire" template is removed by destroying the vampire and bringing him back to life. I see no reason by the "Spellstitched" template would be any different.

Living creatures can't be spellstitched, anyway.

Jack Mann
2007-10-18, 10:17 AM
Possibly you still have the runes. Perhaps you even have the template. But it's no longer effective, as you no longer qualify for the benefits. At best, it will continue to effect you if you are turned into an undead again, if the DM thinks it would be interesting. But you aren't undead, so you shouldn't get the goodies.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-18, 10:29 AM
Those are both very valid points.

I should have been a little clearer. I was thinking of doing this to a PC in a very deadly campaign (the PCs expect some party members to die occassionally during it as long as it isn't permanent and the BBEG is known for keeping "Hero" trophies). I want to be clear I would only do this to a player who would enjoy the perks of having an unusual template and making the campaign a little more memorable I would not railroad any of the PCs just to drive the story. This is more like a small side trek adventure possibility should the opportunity present itself.

My thinking was that you cannot add two of the same type of templates to a creature so "Spellstiched" isn't necessarily an undead template or requires an undead template to function. (One of my thoughts was thinking a living creature would be be able to power it up while False Life or a similar spell was in effect (like when the PCs do their Buffs)).

Spellstiched creatures require corporeal undead to create.

My thinking is that living creatures could not normally survive the enchanting process which requires enchanting using the Craft Wonderous Item feat and materials. After the process maintaining undead status would not necessarily be required to maintain the template once a creature received it should undead status change.

The process seems more akin to creating a permanent magic item on the PC like the Enchanted Tattoos of the Tattooed Monk or permanent runes like the extraordinay Races of Stone Runesmith PRC Permanent Rune.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-18, 10:37 AM
If you know longer meet the prerequisites for something in D&D (such as a feat or a template), you no longer gain the benefits from it.

A living creature may still have the template, but it does nothing except make him look all cool and rune-covered.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-18, 11:02 AM
The Spellstiched template reminds me of the DMG Hand of the Mage.

Normally a mummified elf hand that hangs from a golden chain from a PC's neck. (You would think that a PC wearing this item should entail a negative diplomacy check when encountering elves as part of it's text).

The game allows variants in form in magic items to change things up and keep the PCs guessing. Had a Elf PC who wanted to permanently enchant his hand with the Hand of the Mage enchantment. I let him. He liked to play a Mr. Magic style showboat and wow the commoners.

Some games would allow this and others wouldn't. Does it half to be a Elf's mummified hand? Why not enchant a Elf's living hand? What about a Half-Elf? Can other races hands be enchanted or are they less effective?

Doresain
2007-10-18, 02:18 PM
The Spellstiched template reminds me of the DMG Hand of the Mage.

Normally a mummified elf hand that hangs from a golden chain from a PC's neck. (You would think that a PC wearing this item should entail a negative diplomacy check when encountering elves as part of it's text).

The game allows variants in form in magic items to change things up and keep the PCs guessing. Had a Elf PC who wanted to permanently enchant his hand with the Hand of the Mage enchantment. I let him. He liked to play a Mr. Magic style showboat and wow the commoners.

Some games would allow this and others wouldn't. Does it half to be a Elf's mummified hand? Why not enchant a Elf's living hand? What about a Half-Elf? Can other races hands be enchanted or are they less effective?

lol, i like the way you think