PDA

View Full Version : Making an inventory spreadsheet, what would you like to see?

Greywander
2019-11-07, 04:33 PM
I've been using an online character sheet made with a google doc spreadsheet, but I've gotten a bit frustrated with the limitations of the included inventory section. So I decided to try my hand at creating a spreadsheet specifically for inventory, and it's been kind of fun learning how to make certain things work. Here's some features I already have in the sheet, though this is still very much a WIP:

Input your Strength score, size, and any bonus (e.g. goliath racial).
Calculates your carry capacity based on the above. Includes values for variant encumbrance and push, drag, and lift limits.
Input number of each type of coin, calculates the weight of all your coins, and tells you how many pouches you'll need to carry them.
A main backpack section. Includes backpack weight limit, add more packs to increase the limit. Input the number, value, and weight of each item and it will automatically calculate the total weight and value of those items.
A section for items strapped to the side of your pack, which don't count against the weight limit of the backpack.
A section for items on your person.
The total weight of everything is calculated and presented as a single number, along with an indicator to show what your load level is.

What are some features you would like to see?

I'm wanting to add more stuff, possibly as separate sheets within the same spreadsheet. One for you mount/saddlebags and vehicle, one for pouches, one for bags of holding (and possibly Heward's Handy Haversack), and maybe one for owned property and items left at your home base. I'd kind of like to also do volume calculations, maybe a sort of grid inventory system, but grid inventories aren't RAW and no item volumes are given in the PHB. One thing I should probably include on the front page is worn armor and clothing.

I think at some point I may also do a full character sheet, and perhaps a spellbook as a separate sheet.

Demonslayer666
2019-11-11, 11:58 AM
On my gear page for my character sheet, I had several sections for other containers besides backpack and coin purse. Plus sections for Armor worn, shield, and attuned magic items. I also had items by location: head & neck, torso & waist, hands, legs, and feet to help with stylized clothing.

Lupine
2019-11-11, 12:31 PM
I made one of my own, if you want to see how I do mine (or more-of, how I require the players at my table to do theirs.
Blank Google Spreadsheet (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J-b9xSY1sEVwRakoskUa_VcZDtnIpeA-v0gUoxq8dJc)

As you can see, my main concern is gold, and weight. I don't care too much about how the PCs manage that weight.

Slipperychicken
2019-11-11, 01:02 PM
Buttons for increase/decrease quantity, in addition to normal value input

Buy/sell option. Change quantity, and modify gold total according to either lump-sum price or unit price listed

"Equipped" checkbox, and separate equipped-item list derived from it

Option to exceed/ignore container limits, for people who don't bother with them

Represent charges/ammunition/uses on an item, with simple +/- button to change quantity of charges

Add custom items (manually input name, weight, price)

For some influences on a really good character-management software, if you play shadowrun I'd consider looking at the free program Chummer (should currently be Chummer5).

HappyDaze
2019-11-11, 01:02 PM
I would love a graphic that starts off with an adventurer carrying little more than a belt pouch but quickly grows to Beyond Nodwick levels of carrying capacity so players can easily see how silly it is to have 200 arrows and 10 flasks of oil (total of only 20 lbs.) and say that they are still unencumbered.