PDA

View Full Version : Help with a knight

Roderick_BR
2007-10-18, 10:10 AM
I started playing a knight (I'll leave the crusader for when the rest of my group start using ToB), and I need ways to boost my AC the maximum possible.
Level 5, human. Str 13, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 16.
Yes, his dump stat is wisdom. I got the feats Tower Shield Proficiency (why isen't it already a class feature?!), Shield Specialization, and Shield Ward. By themselves, tower has a too big penalty, and the shield specialization has the "a single +1 bonus" syndrome, but using it with shield ward gives me an touch AC of 17 (limited by my full plate). Later I plan in getting dodge (again a weak feat, but that's a +1 when using my Shield Block ability), maybe Combat Expert, and later, when I have enough money to afford a mithril armor, get Exotic Armor Proficiency (mountain plate). Aside from enchanting my armor and shield, and getting the basic stuff (ring, amulet, and a ioun stone), any ideas to enhance my AC more? The monk belt trick won't work, because I use armor/shield, and have negative wisdom.

And is it un-knightly to challenge a monster to attack me, and lock myself into total defense? (Combat Expertise +5, Dodge +1, Shield Block +3, partial defense action +2, using tower shield for a +10 cover):smalltongue:

I'm playing with some friends, and I'll play meat shield for a wizard and an artificer, so I want to be sure I can survive anything. I'm thinking about ordering a custom item to boost my Con also, since Con boosters use the same slot as the amulet of natural armor.

And what feats would be good (even if I should replace the feats I'm planning to get). Maybe combat form/combat vigor? Maybe get the first level as fighter to get 1 bonus feat, and tower shield for free? I may renegotiate with my DM to change some things around, as he only told me that we would start at level 5 a few minutes before we started playing.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-18, 10:17 AM
Is someone saying improved toughness? +1 HP/level is nice for a tank. Then, you could also take one of the Giant's fighter chain feats, they might be useful.

cupkeyk
2007-10-18, 10:35 AM
Read the Benchmark for AC thread. Ac stops mattering, eventually. You may want to change tactics and go battlefield control: use a shapechanger subtype creature to access warshaper for a two/three level dip, reach weapon combat expertise, combat reflexes and improved trip. Jotunbrud for a +4 size modifier without having to cast spells.

Wis as dumpstat makes sense when your fastest svae progression is will and you don't have any class abilities and few skills linked to wisdom.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-18, 10:39 AM
Improved toughness? Of course, I had forgotten it. Thanks, Azerian.
cupkeyk, that Benchmark's thread that made me wonder how to pump AC too. I should have looked more. I'm actually avoiding subtyped creatures, and reach weapons usually requires both hands, making me lose all the shield feats/class features, but thanks.

cupkeyk
2007-10-18, 10:48 AM
hmmnkay, invest in a ring of blink. I think its 35,000.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-18, 10:56 AM
hmmnkay, invest in a ring of blink. I think its 35,000.
Works perfectly. Thanks.

Iku Rex
2007-10-18, 11:05 AM
I'd get Combat Expertise instead of Tower Shield Proficiency. Instead of a permanent +2 AC/-2 AB you can adapt to circumstances. If you want a high touch AC you may want to aim for Deflective Armor (Races of Stone). It's a psionic feat (must multiclass to psionic class or get Wild Talent feat) and it requires Heavy Armor Optimization. Speaking of HAO, it's a better option than Mountain Plate and it lets you get Mithral Full Plate eventually.

Jack Mann
2007-10-18, 11:16 AM
I'd forgo the shield. Sure, you're missing out on a few points of AC, but you'll take less damage in the long run by either doing more damage or keeping the enemy off of their feet. Sword and board is almost never worthwhile in 3rd edition.

Matthew
2007-10-18, 11:17 AM
...beyond Level X, you mean.

cupkeyk
2007-10-18, 11:28 AM
So instead of sword and board, you can just go board. There is a Captain America build out here focusing on Shield Slam/ Shield bash, using the shield two handed. Excellenct AC with decent offence.

Raolin_Fenix
2007-10-18, 12:40 PM
And is it un-knightly to challenge a monster to attack me, and lock myself into total defense?

Nope. There are feats which focus on this, actually. I can't remember which one, but essentially, if you go total defensive, you get an AoO every time someone attacks you and misses. Defensive Throw from Complete Warrior, maybe? ... I can't be bothered to look it up.

Person_Man
2007-10-18, 01:09 PM
Being a Halfling will give you a +1 size bonus and +2 to Dex. Since Halflings are small, you'll be able to ride your medium mount pretty much anywhere. Take Leadership if you want something interesting (I suggest something that can fly). If your DM allows FR material, Strongheart Halflings get a bonus feat instead of a Saving Throw bonus.

A lance is a reach weapon. Use it two handed for some respectable damage. Buy an animated shield to gain your shield bonuses. Take Combat Reflexes, and you'll have some solid battlefield control. Hold the Line would also be a great idea. Obviously, you'll also want to take Mounted Combat, Ride by Attack, and Spirited Charge. You can get these as bonus feats. Use Test of Mettle, charge through and past your enemies. At higher levels take Power Attack and Shock Trooper, and your damage output will be a respectable +6 damage per BAB when you charge with your lance, with no penalty to hit.

DO NOT full attack anyone (unless you can get Pounce). This will only bog you down and give them a chance to use full attacks against you. Instead, keep moving around the battlefield, charging whenever possible, forcing your enemies to follow you around. Use the Withdraw Action if you have to, and then watch your enemies repeatedly run through your threatened area/Hold the Line, provoking AoO. Or Charge away from enemies into other enemies on your flanks or behind you. As a Knight, your main goal is to draw your enemies away from the rest of your party, allowing them to gang bang anyone who passed their Test of Mettle check. Once those enemies are dead, they can gang up on the enemies following you around the battlefield one at a time.

I would not suggest Dodge or a Tower Shield. They're a waste. Mithral full plate with 16 Dex, an animated shield, and an amulet of natural armor will give you an AC that's very impressive. There's no need to blow precious feats on marginal non-scaling bonuses.