PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Feedback on my character so far

xboreal
2019-11-07, 06:56 PM
I'm starting up a new 5e game and decided to play a Paladin of Conquest. The main things I'm wondering about are my feat choices and if they're worth it. Note: all official material is usable, but no UA.

Dragonborn Paladin LVL 12

Stats

13+3 str
9 dex
15+1 con
9 int
17+1 cha

Feats:

lvl 4: Dragon Fear (con+1)
lvl 8: Heavy Armor Master (str+1)
lvl 12: undecided

The main thing I'm thinking about right now is if the extra point of Con is worth it. I don't feel sold on Heavy Armor Master and am primarily taking it for the strength boost. If Con isn't worth boosting to 16 I can simply leave it at 15 and boost str with Dragon Fear. If I didn't take Heavy Armor Master I'd think about taking Sentinel instead, but I'm not sure if its necessary since Aura of Conquest at this level will keep most enemies rooted next to me anyway.

My other party members consist of:
2 Monks
1 Warlock
1 Wizard
1 Barbarian

The Barbarian plans on being a tank, but isn't going to take the Sentinel feat.

I'd like to hear you thoughts on my feat choices and if +3 ability mod con is worth the investment. It will mean my str is only +2 until level 8, but in the long run I'll have more HP and my spell concentration won't suffer as much. Any other feats you'd recommend? is Sentinel good with my party structure or for a Conquest Paladin in general?

Thanks for the feedback!

ShikomeKidoMi
2019-11-07, 08:10 PM
There's a Conquest paladin thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?543427-The-Wall-of-Fear-A-Complete-Guide-to-the-Oath-of-Conquest) discussing this kind of thing, but generally the consensus is that Dragon Fear's not a bad feat for Conquest. For your level 12 feat, I'd take +2 Charisma to increase your spell save DC and paladin aura bonus to saving throws. You also might want to look into Warcaster, maybe even instead of Heavy Armor Mastery, though it depends on how often you plan on casting vs smiting.

I think you'd really be better off switching your starting Strength and Constitution, though. With Heavy Armor and a shield plus inflicting disadvantage on many opponents via Fear, you should probably be worrying more about hitting people than being hit, especially if you take Heavy Armor Mastery.

Expected
2019-11-07, 08:32 PM
I'm starting up a new 5e game and decided to play a Paladin of Conquest. The main things I'm wondering about are my feat choices and if they're worth it. Note: all official material is usable, but no UA.

Dragonborn Paladin LVL 12

Stats

13+3 str
9 dex
15+1 con
9 int
17+1 cha

Feats:

lvl 4: Dragon Fear (con+1)
lvl 8: Heavy Armor Master (str+1)
lvl 12: undecided

The main thing I'm thinking about right now is if the extra point of Con is worth it. I don't feel sold on Heavy Armor Master and am primarily taking it for the strength boost. If Con isn't worth boosting to 16 I can simply leave it at 15 and boost str with Dragon Fear. If I didn't take Heavy Armor Master I'd think about taking Sentinel instead, but I'm not sure if its necessary since Aura of Conquest at this level will keep most enemies rooted next to me anyway.

My other party members consist of:
2 Monks
1 Warlock
1 Wizard
1 Barbarian

The Barbarian plans on being a tank, but isn't going to take the Sentinel feat.

I'd like to hear you thoughts on my feat choices and if +3 ability mod con is worth the investment. It will mean my str is only +2 until level 8, but in the long run I'll have more HP and my spell concentration won't suffer as much. Any other feats you'd recommend? is Sentinel good with my party structure or for a Conquest Paladin in general?

Thanks for the feedback!

Did you roll for scores or use point-buy? Either way, I'd tolerate the odd scores (except Cha) unless you can use 1 ASI to even them out. I don't suggest any of those feats, to be honest, except for Sentinel--they are suboptimal and you are better served by choosing an ASI or different fests. Are you planning on using heavy, two handed weapons or sword and shield? For the former, prioritize PAM->Sentinel->GWM and for the latter, prioritize Resilient: Con->Con ASI/Tough and use Spiritual Weapon for your BA.

If your scores are rolled and you have 13 Str at level 1, find Gauntlets of Ogre Power/Belt of Giant's Strength as soon as possible or use ASI's to boost it, otherwise you can only wear chainmail; you'll suffer penalties for Plate without 15+ Str.

If you can rearrange your scores, I'd take this array:
Str-Dex-Con-Int-Wis-Cha
15-9-13-9-?-17
Take Resilient: Con (War Caster isn't needed for Paladin spells as the Holy Symbol can be worn), split an ASI for +1 Str and +1 Dex/Con (if you don't want Res: Con), and try to max Cha. Dipping Hexblade for 1 level for Cha SADness is a good idea (Paladin level 20 abilities are overrated in my opinion).

I think a Paladin is a good fit for your party, especially because of your Aura of Protection. Since the Monk and Barbarian are not taking Sentinel and they will be in melee range, Sentinel is perfect for you (better with polearms and PAM than s&b though). The monk's Stunning Strike will help you with fishing for crits for Divine Smite.