PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the time you accidentally derailed the campaign

Shackled Slayer
2019-11-07, 07:31 PM
I have a story and want to share, but i cant seem to find any threads dedicated to sharing player/GM stories. So i figured i'd start one! Friendly banter seemed like the best forum for it.

So tell me; have you ever accidentally de-railed an entire campaign on accident? Became a god through a devil's wager? Appointed your horse as a member of the senate? Stole the declaration of Ba-Sing-Se? Tell me you stories of madness!

I'll start with my tale:
I'll preface this by saying we were all new to the system, including the GM, and had only had one campaign under our belts prior

My friends and i were playing our second campaign of mutants and masterminds (I forget the edition) and i conceived of a character based off of a Duel Masters card called explosive dude joe. Explosive dude joe, according to the flavor text on the card, has a problem with frequent exploding. He's talking about how he's gotten down to only exploding twice in a given day, and is beginning to thank his wife and friends for the support when he explodes mid-sentence.

Comedic gold, if i do say so myself.

So i have my character concept, but there's a few problems. First of all, i need to take some supporting abilities to make sure my superhero concept isn't just i explode ONCE and have to roll up a new character. Second, "explosions" isn't a pre-made superpower with points per rank figured. I knew this could get broken but the GM isn't understanding me when i say he needs to help me set the limits. He puts it at a single point of exp per rank of explosions, tells me to frame out what the power does at higher ranks. This was before i knew how the system calculated magnitude of powers, too.

So i make it so that around the power's 5th rank he can make explosions in a space or centered on a target, instead of self-detonation, and 10th rank he can precisely control the space the explosion detonates within; containing the kinetic and thermal energy within that space. I also bought back a drawback he started with where the explosions were uncontrolled to an extent, mostly because it was being disruptive to play and the other players were getting annoyed. he laster also gained above human strength, speed, and reflexes. But the main powers were the explosions, conditional immortality (heart is encased in ashell that can withstand damage equal to the power of his explosions) and regeneration that basically meant that after he exploded he near instantly reformed.

Now.
I realized later that the way power ranks and determinations work that by the time i had already hit explosions 30, the force of his all out blast was equivalent to a supernova. I gravely misunderstood how the math worked on that, otherwise i would have stopped at nuke strength. So i've basically got the power of GOD of EXPLOSIONS. I could end solar stars. Entire solar systems even! But im not aiming to, im just bad at math. And so is the GM. I pointed it out to him, and while his eyes bugged out he said it was okay and to just, keep it chill for a beat. And i did. I never exceeded the blast force of a cruise missile, and only did it when we really needed to hurt an enemy. Usually i let my diva best friend do the punchy stuff, other friend do the sneaky tactful stuff, other other friend did... More punchy stuff. And i tried to play the field between political, clever and tactical. I like high concept characters with slightly above human physical abilities and powers that allow them to use that to maximum effect. My previous character, Rift, used portals to attack from strange angles and manipulate physics to augment attacks, like jumping off a building, into a portal, where he would then be launched horizontally at the enemy, maintaining the momentum for a extreme energy melee attack, or launching an object at terminal velocity at the bad guy's face. And that's what i was looking to do with explosive dude Joe; high concept, unorthodox attacks. I was just waiting for my turn in the spotlight...

... Which never came. After 6 or 7 sessions the campaign's momentum petered out, we'd squashed most of the GM's big threats, and the other players were dialed into human relationships without doing any... Super hero stuff! I honestly get playing a social RP about relationships, but i signed on for superhero stuff. The other players were mostly losing interest too. And that's when the mistake was made. After 3 sessions of characters going on dates and watching t.v., i was so bored that i decided to do something. The thing, that this thread is all about.

I was going to take over the world. *super villian laugh here*

The GM and i had spoke prior to this session, and he leveled with me that he didn't know where he was going with this. The one other player i didn't mention with an edge-lord vampire vampire-hunter had bailed more or less and was just there to be edgey for the session. Realistically, this was the LAST session. So I told him i was going to send us out with a bang. He groaned at my pun but was curious.

So we're at his avengers initiative government base, everybody is chilling with their imaginary SOs, it's like watching paint dry waiting for him to ask me what im doing. Turn rolls around to me after everybody answers the question "what are you doing?" With "just chilling with bae i guess". He looks to me.
"I've been watching the news lately, as well as studying how to fly the VTOL jet things we have here. Is there a U.N. meeting happening? He would be waiting to hear about one."
GM pauses, i've got him curious. I also put ranks into a variety of pilot and technology skills prior to the session.
"Why, yes there is, it's going to start in a few hours actually."
"Okay cool." I answer, and wait through another round of hearing about the super buddies hanging out with the speedster NPC face of the orginization. Turn comes back to me. "I excuse myself and make my way to the hangar, is anyone else there?"
"Not really no."
"Great, i jump into one of the jets and begin firing it up."
A silence, and the whole table turns to look at me, and i cant help but form a grinch grin.
"Uh, okay, where are you going?" The GM asks nervously, leaning slightly forward.
"The U.N., as according to you these jets can travel super fast, if i gun it how fast can i get there?"
"Uhm, an hour maybe?" He answers. He still hasn't caught onto what im about to do. Òwó
I get there, land. The jet is part of a black budget operation, i not only have clearance, i hold some degree of authority. "The guard tries to stop you." The GM says, confused, but not for long. "I detonate the inside of his skull with the force of a tomahawk missile, confined to his head." GM blanches, likely in realization that I'm going rogue and I'm too far in to be stopped. There's no roll, no check to make, this was a human whose brain was just flash incinerated. He was dead before he even hit the floor.

The other players are now chittering excitedly about what's happening, and i lay the whole bag of snakes out on the table. I stroll into the U.N. meeting room, hijack the emergency broadcast system, and demand compliance. The nations of the world must now relinquish control to me, I'm in charge, and meta-humans are no longer to be discriminated against. "One world leader stands up and objects" the GM tells me. I invite the man down. He's a leader of a small african nation or something of the like. I'm chipper, cordial as i tell him to repeat what he just said, into the cameras so the fine folks at home Can hear. He does. Then i turn him into a human water baloon from the knees up, making sure it's mostly kinetic energy to the gore fresh and juicy for the camera.

"Does anyone else object?" I call out gleefully, covered in the dead leader's blood and guts.

The GM had promised he wouldn't use any of the powers that completely hamstring a character, like probability or causality manipulation, but then i don't think he was prepared for me to do this.

Long story short he kept himself bound by his word and i took over the world with all but the edgelord vampire, who i vaporized with full power supernova explosion contained to a single vaulted area. I did it by taking the entire U.N. hostage and summarily executing anyone who refused to submit absolutely to me. And now i have a reputation of torpedoing campaigns, even though i have only done so twice. Tell me if you want to here about the other time!

Toxic Shaman
2019-11-08, 01:38 PM
My story is a bit lower key.

We just started a 3rd edition Shadowrun game, and the DM set up the first session where the four PCs and two additional NPCs were hired to deliver a package to a street gang leader. One of the NPCs was a young Elf Physical adept who was pretty obnoxious and rubbed my character the wrong way.

She was an adrenaline junkie that acted reckless and intentionally ticked off a rival street gang leader during the run, provoked a fight and turned a low key run into a bloodbath. The DM intended her to be a recurring NPC that we would run into all the time, and had created his elaborate backstory of her being the daughter of a really powerful mobster that would give us access to a number of underworld contacts that would drive the story forward. His intent was that she would be too useful to ignore, but would come with a lot of trouble too. She was going to be the centerpiece of the campaign.

He put down a lot of hints about her background and made sure we were aware that she was built with far more experience than we were so we knew she was really tough. He figured that would be enough to protect her...

We did put up with her during the run, but afterwards my character decided to do something about her. She was a Shamanic Conjuring Adept who was also a halfway decent drone rigger. She was a pretty no nonsense professional, and was appalled at the unnecessary violence, and had a very strong vigilante streak. She used a surveillance drone to follow her. The woman went to a bar for a few hours, and when she left on her motorcycle my character followed, and used its accident power to cause her to run off the road and land in Lake Washington. As she struggled to swim to shore my character summoned a Lake Spirit which drowned her.

The DM loved it, even though he had to throw away most of what he had planned. The mobster knew his daughter was a psycho who took risks, figured it was an accident and didn't suspect anything.

He tried to modify his plans so we still met up with the mobster and worked with him, but we were so paranoid that he blamed us for his daughter's death that we would have nothing to do with him.

The DM told me later he had written up four complete adventures, each one building on the one before, and ended up not being able to use any of them.

My DM got his revenge though, and has happily derailed pretty much every plot I've come up with in my games ever since, including multiple instances in my current pathfinder game, to my great enjoyment.

Kaptin Keen
2019-11-08, 02:41 PM
I exploded a sky castle in Dragonlance, leaving our GM with the conviction that the only way to save the party was to have the explosion toss everyone straight into Ravenloft.

GrayDeath
2019-11-08, 03:08 PM
Well,a s I usually try my best NOT to derail stuff, the only one I remember was thus:

We had just finished a really long, world-lore wise worldshaking campaign, and were hence quite well known heroes.

The SPymaster of the biggest Nation on the continent asked us (arrested some, bribed others, you get it) to join a marching army to fight a rising ... evil of whatever (noone actually knew anything but "they depopulated towns", Divination amgic was very weak on that world).

So we travelled with the roughly 4000 men. Booring to the hilt.

Our Dwarf spent ages fretting over his highly magical Axe, our barbarian got pumped at demosntrating he could fistfight any 5 soldiers, then got ored and started drinking as noone fought him. My Elven Wizard simply spent most of the time flying high above the army, as ...well, it stank.

Now the army rested at night, the area of the enemies less than 5 hours march aay.

A call to arms wakes us up. Panic seems stronger than expected.

My Elf uses a Sense enhancing SPell, sees a horde of Udnead marching towards us.
The DM is getting lots of dice ready, the players of the Dwar and the barbarian grin, their characters getting ready.

My Elf walks towards the zombie Horde. Looks at them.
Casts Malmstrom. (think a Whirpool but made of earth, slow but ... well, it bureies and crushes you in earth) at his maximum size in the path of the Zombies.
And watches them shamble into it to a one, crunching noises and stopping "Gaaaahs" fighting with the sound of churning earth.
THen he turns araund, looks at the rage ready Barbarian, the Dwarf that has fully awakened his axe, and the other Mage who has put on his magical Armor (think Gish) and says: All done, we can go back to bed now.

The DM threw away his Zombie Sheets, told us the other Armies commanders were shocked, and said wed play on next time. ^^

We later got told I not just avoided a huge battle, but the whole theme for the campaign was changed, as the Rising Evil never once managed to win a single battle. Oooops.^^

Kelb_Panthera
2019-11-08, 04:25 PM
In order to find some information that we didn't have I suggested we visit a weird (elemental creature with -massive- divination ability). We did so and it gave us its riddles that would lead to the info we wanted. One of the things we worked out was that we needed to be on another continent and time was a concern. I suggested, innocently enough, that we ask the weird if we could pass through the planar rift at the bottom of its elemental pool because passing through planar portals is a good way to shortcut overland travel, generally.

Here's the derail; the weird was an air weird so the portal at the bottom of its pool leads to Lemania (eberron campaign) a world of floating islands in an endless sky and no one in the party can fly. No one in the group thought about that until the whole party was already through the one way portal. The GM had to pull a small side-adventure completely out of his back-side on the spot to make it both possible for us to both find our goal, another portal back to eberron near where we wanted to go, and to reach it, some kind of ferry or flight ability.

Upshot: it turned a few weeks of travel time into just a few days.

Kesnit
2019-11-08, 07:47 PM
I did something IC which killed a game OOC...

It was the first session of a Vampire: the Requiem game. The ST had given us extra starting points, so I came in with a Kallisti (https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Kallisti). (Kallisti are a Daeva bloodline who get both Dominate and Majesty, as well as a bloodline Discipline. They are all about Socials and specialize in destroying social networks.) Another player came in with a classic Gangrel.

The Gangrel played very "big, bad and tough." After about 30 minutes of him demanding respect because he was so strong, I'd had enough. The first level of Majesty just makes the target think you are a likable person and I activated it, getting a normal success. After confirming it did affect the Gangrel, I said "your character now likes mine." Again, I will point out that all the power does is "the character succeeds in dazzling his intended audience with his overwhelming charisma."

The Gangrel's player stands up, throws down his character sheet, yells "I can't play a gay character!" and stalks from the room.

The rest of us just sat there in stunned silence before we just packed up and left.

KineticDiplomat
2019-11-08, 10:41 PM
The mildly hilarious part of that is thinking that on a random U.N. meeting anyone important would be there. Or that if they were, anyone would feel obligated to honor the results.

MesiDoomstalker
2019-11-09, 12:25 AM
So this is a story from a Pokemon game, in an admittedly pretty broken system PTA (Pokemon Tabletop Adventures).

The conceit of the game is the PC's are all Rocket Grunt hopefuls. There's a lot of changes to the basic Pokemon settings, but I'll keep it to just the relevant ones. First; Pokemon fights are deadly (This is about half to do with the system being piss-poor at low levels). Second; Pokemon Centers cost money to use (fairly cheap, but prohibits spam healing). Third; a general feel of 'realness', as seen by an edgy 16 year old GM. Fourth; Team Rocket is some undefined Grey Moral center, where they do bad things for good aims or some such justification.

So the game starts and everyone is fairly new to the System. Myself and another player split off with our Poochyena that we received as a gift for joining (again, we aren't Grunts yet. I don't think we were ever given a title). After nearly killing them fighting each other (see deadly fights), we decided to find some random trainers around Celadon to train our Poocheyna's on. The GM, thinking he's quite clever, pits us against some young kids. One with a Diglett and the other with a Butterfree. Now, do to some weirdness in the rules, we literally could not win this battle with our Poochyena. The Butterfree never landed (and never had to due to the various Powder moves) and the Diglett could dig underground, pop up to scratch and then retreat due to a Keyword on Scratch and a lack of an Attack of Opportunity-like mechanic. So our basic Poochyena with just Tackle could literally never win as they never had a valid target.

Now, through hashing this out later, the other Players, the GM and I figured out the reason for the series of events that transpired after the humiliating defeat. The Players had a general idea of being Saturday morning cartoon villains; doing evil things for evils sake and getting away with it because we're the Protagonists. The GM was running a gritty, 'realistic' game where things have consequences and an attempt at nuance. Attempt.

So what do we, aspiring Rocket Grunts, played by Players wanting wacky cartoon violence? Obviously, we kill the kids for disrespecting us and then burn their bodies (I had a Houndour). Elsewhere, another PC, a Psychic, kersploads some kids Grimer (lethalality and also the Psychic class was way OP). So the rest of the very short campaign involved us regrouping, and then deciding to just ditch Rocket (they were pissed because we were too Evil) and ran off to the north. Game ends, we reboot with a bit better understanding on the kind of game being played and then had the best Pokemon game I've ever played.

Pex
2019-11-09, 12:33 AM
2E D&D game. The party had to travel someplace. We eventually would have to go through a forest. The DM was so excited about it, boasting about all the dangers, monsters, and hazards we'd have to suffer through. Every 5 minutes he would say this. At last we come to the edge of the forest. I happened to be playing a druid. I cast the spell Giant Insect. In 2E the spell and my level meant I was able to enlarge a number of bees that were buzzing around that enabled people to mount and ride them, two PCs to a bee. It was enough to have the entire party fly over the forest avoiding everything he had set up.

I didn't know it at the time, but the DM was privately PO'd enough that right then and there he stopped being my friend. This was during college. He gradually increased his hostility to me over time such that it affected other games we were both players in and general community within our gaming club. Our relationship never recovered.

Shackled Slayer
2019-11-09, 06:53 PM
The mildly hilarious part of that is thinking that on a random U.N. meeting anyone important would be there. Or that if they were, anyone would feel obligated to honor the results.

I dunno man we aren't up to date on world leader meetings. Lol i was just actively seeking the best way to take over the world.

dehro
2019-11-11, 10:40 AM
back in the days of 3.5, early levels, I was playing a dwarven cleric.
I climbed into a rope-trick with my handy haversack.
In the ensuing explosion, I lost an arm, a tear in the universe appeared, through which several flying Gith fortresses entered the world.
The DM threw his entire, and now pointless, campaign notebook across the room in frustration.
One of my proudest moments to this day.

Kaiwen
2019-11-17, 02:01 PM
We're (a newly founded low level adventuring party) given a week to destroy bandit camp and chase them off the highway. On the way there, we pass the ruins of a town they sacked, and naturally, being the kleptos we are, we head in to "investigate."
We found a few undead (the town was in the middle of a haunted bog, and some of the corpses reanimated naturally), and killed them fairly easily. In a ransacked office of some sort, we found the mayor-turned-vampire spawn. We lured him into the light, killing him, and in his office, we found a paltry amount of gold, and "some paperwork."

Party member A, curious: "What paperwork is it?"
DM, frantically trying to make something up: "It's, ah, the deed to the township."
Me: "Can we rebuild the town?"
DM: "Uhhhhh...."

And so for the next 4 sessions/3 in-game weeks/an IRL month, we built a small fortified settlement with a population of around 10 people, but with a capacity of a few hundred. We were expelled from the adventurer's guild for dereliction of literally the first quest we ever took, the bandits (actually agents of a foreign power currently at war with us) gained a foothold in the region and reappropriated our fort, and several important people died.

edit: This was a PF game, and PF magic item crafting lets you make anything if you have the feats for it and enough money. Someone had Craft Wondrous, and we spent a large portion of our total party resources on a lyre of building.

Comaward
2019-11-17, 03:18 PM
A player just derailed my campaign in a big way. I can salvage the situation, but things have definitely taken an unexpected turn...

In a recent 5e session set in Eberron, the Necromancer Wizard was given an incomplete map of sorts with a whole bunch of draconic symbols on it.

Without knowing anything about the map, without asking me in my role as the DM any further questions, and without bothering to consult in-game with someone who could actually read Draconic, the Wizard graffitied the map with the Mark of Detection.

I wasn’t expecting him to do anything with the map for right now, just hold onto it. Maybe waltz into Morgrave University and say “hey guys, look what I found! Anyone wanna help me translate this thing?”

The problem? The Wizard, without any idea what he was doing, just permanently rewrote reality and overcharged the Mark of Medani. ACROSS THE PLANET.

So now, I’ve got a situation where every House Medani Inquisitive has just suffered a complete mental breakdown after (apparently) spontaneously developing an irreversible ability to gaze into other planes of existence.

I’m talking full-on, unable NOT to see “Lovecraftian horrors mortals were not meant to see” madness here, folks.

:eek:

...As if Sharn didn’t have enough problems already.

Shackled Slayer
2019-12-29, 03:37 PM
A player just derailed my campaign in a big way. I can salvage the situation, but things have definitely taken an unexpected turn...

In a recent 5e session set in Eberron, the Necromancer Wizard was given an incomplete map of sorts with a whole bunch of draconic symbols on it.

Without knowing anything about the map, without asking me in my role as the DM any further questions, and without bothering to consult in-game with someone who could actually read Draconic, the Wizard graffitied the map with the Mark of Detection.

I wasn’t expecting him to do anything with the map for right now, just hold onto it. Maybe waltz into Morgrave University and say “hey guys, look what I found! Anyone wanna help me translate this thing?”

The problem? The Wizard, without any idea what he was doing, just permanently rewrote reality and overcharged the Mark of Medani. ACROSS THE PLANET.

So now, I’ve got a situation where every House Medani Inquisitive has just suffered a complete mental breakdown after (apparently) spontaneously developing an irreversible ability to gaze into other planes of existence.

I’m talking full-on, unable NOT to see “Lovecraftian horrors mortals were not meant to see” madness here, folks.

:eek:

...As if Sharn didn’t have enough problems already.

So, the map affects reality? if im reading that right that wizard COULD have done allot worse! and that medani wizard seeing into infinity sounds like a pretty juicy plot hook to me!

aerilon
2019-12-29, 11:10 PM
It was my first ever 4e game - one of 3 I played in - just after its release. PF hadn't been released yet, the 3.5 groups in my area I knew of were mostly full and/or using ridiculous amounts of splat and horrendously OP builds and full of extreme Power Gamers, and I figured why not give 4e a shot? (Side note: I remain convinced it's not really a bad system per se, it just doesn't feel like D&D to me)

I find a group. I play a CN Rogue. My character is paranoid, violent, and in his backstory is accustomed to persecution and abuse. The party (A Paladin, a Warlord, and myself) fight a bunch of goblins that take an absolutely inordinate amount of time to kill. We "save" a "flower girl" who my character notices is lying about the type of flower she's been picking. And who had conveniently managed to untie herself while we were fighting the goblins but chosen not to run away while we were fighting, but to wait for us to finish the battle. My character asks a bunch of questions, realizes she's lying about her entire story, calls her out on it, she successfully cons the other party members. We head toward the town.

We camp for the night.

Me to the DM: "My rogue pretends to be asleep and, once sure everyone else is, gets up and stealthily slits the impostor's throat."

Everyone: "YOU WHAT!?"

DM: "Make your rolls."

Successes all around, using my daily power for the attack.

DM sighs. I just killed the BBEG of this first, low level adventure.

It was only the first time I derailed the BBEGs in that campaign. I did warn the DM I was roleplaying the character's personality traits true to life.

King of Nowhere
2019-12-30, 07:15 PM
we have a pretty open wide sand box, with various plot hooks.

eventually we latched onto a plot of dragon demigods that were trapped long ago. we accidentally freed a major evil one who leads a sect of assassins, and we spent a lot of time fighting his cronies. we also spent time freeing other dragons, and trying to fight other people who were into that plot. we were quite busy.

back at level 1, we were tasked with looking for a legendary hidden flying city, but there was no trail to follow, so we never pursued it.
later on, we found a map that "shows hidden places". Long story short, we remembered the flying city, and we were able to get the map to show us a location, somewhere in the middle of the sea. we had our hands full, so we didn't pursue it.

a while later, all our enemies are hidden, our wizard wants to spend a few days casting divinations to search up the next adventure path. well, good. i am a monk, i have nothing to do with my downtime, at least nothing meaningful to the plot.
but i got a wind walk ability as a plot reward, and i have a huge spot check, so i thought, what if while the wizard spends his time casting divinations and researching spells i do something productive by scouting the sky? i only need the wizard to teleport me in the area shown by the map and come back for me later, it's only four 5th level spells, not a big deal.
So, I start flying around the area, throwing my +30 to spot around, and i find this invisible city. elementals leave to attack me, and i decide to retreat; i was only there for reconnaissance, and didn't want to fight with the party split.
now we know where this city is, but still we are busy. we do some more things chasing the main plot.

then we have another bit of downtime. we have several avenues to pursue.
i suggested that since none of them was urgent, we could have explored the flying city: "it will be an afternoon's job".

that was four months ago. on the city we found a mysterious contamination, a damaged artifact that corrupts stuff, mutated survivors locked in a power struggle, and we got mired in things.
later on, the DM said that there were a few major plots that could be pursued in his world, the dragons were one of those, the city was another. so, while thinking to start a quick side quest that would take a short time and would give a good reward, i accidentally caused the party to stumble on another main plot.
on the plus side, it's only been two days on in-game time, and we hope we can leave this plot to a group of friendly npcs afterwards. and we're getting good rewards. so, it may work well in-world. it's still a pretty big derailment in real life time, though.

martixy
2020-01-05, 01:01 PM
2E D&D game. The party had to travel someplace. We eventually would have to go through a forest. The DM was so excited about it, boasting about all the dangers, monsters, and hazards we'd have to suffer through. Every 5 minutes he would say this. At last we come to the edge of the forest. I happened to be playing a druid. I cast the spell Giant Insect. In 2E the spell and my level meant I was able to enlarge a number of bees that were buzzing around that enabled people to mount and ride them, two PCs to a bee. It was enough to have the entire party fly over the forest avoiding everything he had set up.

I didn't know it at the time, but the DM was privately PO'd enough that right then and there he stopped being my friend. This was during college. He gradually increased his hostility to me over time such that it affected other games we were both players in and general community within our gaming club. Our relationship never recovered.

Oh wow... I mean you're better off, but still. Wow.

I'd love to share a story myself, but my players are way too passive to do any of that.

Drache64
2020-01-05, 02:26 PM
Any time I've been a part of a group that derailed a campaign it was from a poor DM experience. We just played the game as best we could, but the DM didn't account for what we would do.

Though I will say that I did have one party member take over a city and only accomplished this by the rest of the party instantly adapting with him.

The mayor was being an arrogant jerk, player 1 asked "are there any guards in the room?"
DM: no.
Player 1 instantly strikes the mayor.
Player 2 casts silence
Player 3 casts hold person.
Player 1 coup de gras the mayor.

I use disguise self to take the form of the mayor and ask the guards outside to bring us the head of every guild and their second in command.

When the guild masters show up, we kill all of the guild masters and hand leadership over to their second in command. Ensuring their loyalty to us.