PDA

View Full Version : The difference between a Knowledge (history) check and a Bardic Lore check

Jay R
2019-11-07, 11:33 PM
I discovered the difference between these two in a real-world situation. I was having a discussion with two people who each had far more history knowledge than I did. The question came up – who was the king of England that Joan of Arc led troops against?

History Maven 1 [failed Knowledge (history) check]: Let’s see. That was the early 1400s. What else is going on in Europe then?
History Maven 2 [failed Knowledge (history) check]: Ummm. The King of France was Charles VII. He was married to Marie of Anjou. Who is she related to?
Me [successful Bardic Lore check]: Henry the Sixth, Part One.

BWR
2019-11-08, 03:39 AM
Neat.

Since PF Bardic lore is just a bonus to all Knowledge skills, I just allow multiple skills to find out the same piece of information, possibly with different DCs.
Say you want to recall a fact about a city's past ruler. K. History is an obvious choice, but you could use K. Local (city), or K. Nobility, even K. Religion if said ruler was invovled in some religious issue, K. Engineering for specific monuments commissioned by that ruler, etc.