PDA

View Full Version : E6 Spells that Dispell

Ruethgar
2019-11-08, 04:47 PM
So I have a mostly TO character who is going to be a Chosen of Mystra and going to have the vulnerability to dispelling of a Fax Living Spell (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Awakened_Living_Spell) and I was wondering if anyone knew of other ways to dispel besides (Greater)Dispel and Disjunction that I might want to snag immunity to. I am almost certain there was a druid dispel that was more thematic, and I feel like there was a fire one as well but I'm having difficulty finding them(very well may have been 3rd party and inconsequential).

So how many ways can one dispel via spells?

Antimagic Field, Antimagic Ray, Arcane Turmoil, Break Enchantment, Chain Dispel, Disjunction, (Greater)Dispel Magic, Dispel Ward, Dispelling Breath, (Greater)Dispelling Screen, Dispelling Touch, Dweomer Vortex, Khelben's Dweomerdoom, Reversed Spell Rebirth, Reaving Dispel, (Greater)Shadows Fade, Singular Mind, Slashing Dispel, Spell Theft, Suppress Magic, Truename Dispel, Unravel Dweomer, (Greater)Wall of Dispel

War version os all of these are technically different spells but I'm not going to repeat them all just for that. Also excluding the counteracting spells.

Honorable mention: Soulmeld Disjuntion & Unshape Soulmeld

Allanimal
2019-11-08, 04:58 PM
So I have a mostly TO character who is going to be a Chosen of Mystra and going to have the vulnerability to dispelling of a Living Spell or Glamerkin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?204322-3-5e-Bloodline-Glamerkin-(PEACH)&p=11265857#post11265857) and I was wondering if anyone knew of other ways to dispel besides (Greater)Dispel and Disjunction that I might want to snag immunity to. I am almost certain there was a druid dispel that was more thematic, and I feel like there was a fire one as well but I'm having difficulty finding them(very well may have been 3rd party and inconsequential).

So how many ways can one dispel via spells?

There is Slashing Dispel from PHB2.
Reaving Dispel from Spell Compendium
(greater) Wall of Dispel from Spell Compendium.
Dispelling Screen from Spell Compendium
Dispelling Breath from Draconomicon
Tenacious Dispelling from Complete Mage

Probably others too...

Khedrac
2019-11-08, 05:28 PM
And the often overlooked Break Enchantment - it's actually a fairly effective dispel but most people (me included) usually forget it.

Biggus
2019-11-08, 05:48 PM
Chain Dispel (PHB2)

Ruethgar
2019-11-08, 06:13 PM
That's a bit more that I thought... going to have to look around a bit. The walls and screens I will probably have to skip immunity to. Hopefully my Persistent Arcane Eyes will just help me avoid them.

Add on Antimagic Field, and Antimagic Ray.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-11-08, 06:23 PM
For antimagic style effects, don't forget antimagic aura from Magic of Faerun.

On the dispelling side, there's deomer vortex from Anauroch: Empires of Shade.

Ruethgar
2019-11-08, 07:02 PM
Dweomer Vortex could be deadly as hell. Let's see, I have to drop the walls and screens, a perma arcane eyes can avoid them and they'll basically just act as normal walls for me. Reaving, Slashing, and Antimagic Ray also had to be skipped due to space. Dispelling Breathe seems a bit niche, should be ok to be dropped. That's still a lot of anti-magic that could take me out.

Level 1: Dispel
Level 2:
Level 3: Dweomer Vortex
Level 4: Break Enchantment
Level 5: Greater Dispel
Level 6: Antimagic Field
Level 7: Antimagic Aura
Level 8: Chain Dispel
Level 9: Disjunction

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-11-08, 10:31 PM
Arcane Turmoil, Complete Mage.

Feantar
2019-11-09, 07:49 AM
If you're including antimagic, there's Suppressing Field(Complete Mage). Also, the Dispel line of [Alignment, Cold, Fire, Fog, Posssession, Silence, Taint, Ward, Water], Dispelling Touch(PHBII), Spell Theft(Complete Scoundrel - it is effectively a dispel), Suppress Magic(Incarnum - only for Items), Truename Dispel(ToM).

No idea if you're including soulmelds into "spells", but if you are Soulmeld Disjuntion & Unshape Soulmeld.

ShurikVch
2019-11-09, 09:28 AM
How about the "Remove ..." spell line (Remove Blindness/Deafness - Remove Paralysis)? I mean, stuff they're removing is often a result of a spell...

Khelben's Dweomerdoom (City of Splendors: Waterdeep)? "You counterspell an opponent's spell or spell-like ability before it is even cast and without knowing what spell you are countering."

There are Dispel Ward (Dragon #313) and Dispel War Spell (Dragon #309)

Also, some really really specific examples:
Greater Knock (Dragon #316) - dispels Arcane Lock
Shark Bolt (Dragon #334) - doesn't dispells anything, but may be dispelled by AoE spells with [fire] descriptor, or by spells which destroy water
Skeletal Hand (Dragon #348) - the Hand is dispelled if can't penetrate SR, and since Spell Resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellResistance.htm) is a spell...
Sphere of Terror (Dragon #333) - dispels any [light] spells of equal (or lower) level
Sunmace (Dragon #346) - may be dispelled by Deeper Darkness, or by failing to penetrate SR
Temporal Repair (Dragon #350) - Dispels time affecting spells in the area around you.

Ruethgar
2019-11-09, 10:16 AM
On mobile atm, but will get those added to the list. Unfortunately looking back at the Chosen template it’s pretty much all for nothing(as least for my purposes) since it gives unbeatable SR not immunity. Ima gona die so fast to dispels.

nedz
2019-11-09, 11:45 AM
Shapechange (Beholder) — anti magic ray.
There are also some weaker monsters you could use: Disenchanters, ...

Feantar
2019-11-09, 12:04 PM
On mobile atm, but will get those added to the list. Unfortunately looking back at the Chosen template it’s pretty much all for nothing(as least for my purposes) since it gives unbeatable SR not immunity. Ima gona die so fast to dispels.

There's a specific defence against most, if not all, of these. The spell I mentioned above, Otiluke's Suppressing Field. If you key the field on Abjuration, Anyone attempting to cast such a spell in (or into) the area must succeed on a caster level check against a DC of 11 + your caster level. (Abilities and feats that improve the ability to defeat spell resistance, such as Spell Penetration, apply here as well). And this applies to all such spells; it even gives an example of orb spells (which are SR:No). So you can have an extra defence by casting that spell. It lasts pretty long (10 Min/level). You could persist it, and use CL boosting shenanigans each day to make it effectively impossible to overcome.

Zaq
2019-11-09, 12:18 PM
You seem to have a warlock invocation or two in there, which means that you're open to SLAs and other things adjacent to spells.

From the truenamer chapter of ToM, reversed spell rebirth is the obvious addition. There's the actual spell truename dispel, and back to utterances, singular mind can be used to dispel things as well.

From the shadowcaster chapter, the entire Unbinding Shade path is just various forms of dispels: shadows fade is just dispel magic, unravel dweomer is just break enchantment, and greater shadows fade is just greater dispel magic. Only, you know, with shadowcaster weirdness thrown in.

What's that level 1 "dispel" you've got on your list?

D+1
2019-11-09, 12:32 PM
This is E6?

Ruethgar
2019-11-11, 01:00 AM
The character is for E6, but of course monsters still have high level spells so they are still things to be worried about.

Level one Dispel Magic is from the Trapsmith spell list.

bean illus
2019-11-11, 08:41 PM
Which dispell has the highest cl check? (besides disjunction, I guess?)

Ruethgar
2019-11-12, 01:41 PM
Reaving Dispell is +20, Khelben's Dweomerdoom is +25 both are 9th level spells. Dweomer Vortex is automatic dispelling up to 6 spell levels. Suppressing Field doesn't have a listed limit to CL, but is more of a selective antimagic field than a dispel.