PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A War Wizards & Wands: A Match Made in Heaven or just Meh?

PwrHngryTortois
2019-11-08, 04:54 PM
The War Wizard is cool! Not too powerful but has some fun abilities, but I have a questions about their most iconic ability:

"Arcane Deflection
At 2nd level, you have learned to weave your magic to fortify yourself against harm. When you are hit by an attack or you fail a saving throw, you can use your reaction to gain a +2 bonus to your AC against that attack or a +4 bonus to that saving throw.

When you use this feature, you can’t cast spells other than cantrips until the end of your next turn."

Would this prevent you from using a wand? Wands read along the line of: "This wand has 7 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 of its charges to cast the __________ spell (save DC 15) from it."

I'm not sure on this one, what do you all think?

Kane0
2019-11-08, 04:55 PM
It would stop you, because as unintuitive as it may sound it doesnt matter how you are able to cast a spell, you are casting a spell.

Edit: ironically this works in reverse for a sorcerer, who can apply metamagic to spells cast from say a staff.

Nounverber
2019-11-08, 04:57 PM
There are certain items that let you cast spells like wands or staves. The issue here is that you're still casting a spell so your class feature blocks it.

CheddarChampion
2019-11-08, 06:27 PM
Yeah I agree that it wouldn't work.

A wand of the war mage, however, will boost many offensive cantrips you could cast.

Tanarii
2019-11-08, 07:18 PM
Huh. Would this same problem apply to someone that cast a bonus action spell? Because I've never considered that before.

That'd hurt Quicken builds a bit.

Gignere
2019-11-08, 08:18 PM
Huh. Would this same problem apply to someone that cast a bonus action spell? Because I've never considered that before.

That'd hurt Quicken builds a bit.

That’s how I rule it as DM. You can’t quicken than cast from a wand or scroll.

ImproperJustice
2019-11-08, 10:00 PM
However, using a necklace of fireballs is totally ok.
Since you are using an action to Use an Item.