View Full Version : UA - Ranger Primal Awareness

DarcyFinn
2019-11-08, 05:04 PM
My party have a problem interpreting primal awareness in the new UA. It says:
"You can cast each of these spells once without
expending a spell slot. Once you cast a spell in
this way, you can’t do so again until you finish a
long rest."
Does that mean that a ranger at 7th level can cast detect magic, speak with animals, beast sense and locate animals and plants, once each X long rest - so a total of 4 unique spells per LR - OR - does it mean that a ranger at 7th level can cast one of those spells of their choice once per long rest.

Please help - table argument is brewing!

Ventruenox
2019-11-08, 05:10 PM
You can cast each of these spells once without
expending a spell slot.

This means four unique spells per long rest.

DarcyFinn
2019-11-08, 05:15 PM
Wow - that's pretty fantastic. Argument averted.

sithlordnergal
2019-11-08, 05:17 PM
The "each" part is key here, you can cast each of those spells without using a spell slot once per long rest. Which...honestly, those spells aren't really that broken. So its not a big deal if they can cast it without using a spell slot

stoutstien
2019-11-08, 07:15 PM
It's definitely a good mechanic to look at. Would be a good idea to add flavor and flexibility but with limits

Rowan Wolf
2019-11-10, 09:08 PM
If the DM allows Xanathar's Guide a wood elf with the racial feat could also get a cantrip with Longstrider and Pass without Trance with one free use of each. I am very interested in more mystical feel that the UA is bringing to Ranger. If my next group uses it I could see myself trying Wood Elf Ranger, (if rolls allow maybe considering Magical Initiate as well).