PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Best Mundane Sword Money Can Buy

Thurbane
2019-11-08, 06:08 PM
So, hypothetical...

You're a warrior type, and you rely on your sword more than anything else to get the job done.

You know in advance you're going to a magic-dead area (zone, plane, whatever), so magical enhancements on your sword will basically be useless.

You're expecting to fight a variety of creatures (brute monsters, other adventurers, and maybe even one or two things that can ignore the anti-magic restriction).

You have a basically unlimited pile of cash to spend on a single sword.

What would you buy? Materials, sword type and other non-magical additions. Try to focus on the weapon, and not the wielder.

Please, please - no trying to circumvent the restrictions: yes, we know you're clever and a true systems master, and I've very obviously left a loophole open there somewhere. Just for the sake of being a good citizen, please try to stick to the spirit of the challenge.

Best mundane sword: go!

Cheers - T

So given that previous responses have named several sources ( both 3.5e WOTC-legal and third party like Rokugan ), I hereby ask OP to specify which sources can be used.

I prefer official 3.5 and un-updated 3.0, including WotC web articles. Dragon is not ideal, but might be approved on a case-by-case basis. No "licensed" 3rd party, and no PF.

Dragonlance Campaign Setting, Dragon Compandium, Shackled City Hardcover all count as official for me. Other Dragonlance books, KoK, Rokugan, Ravenloft etc. do not.

If you're in doubt as to what I like to use, assume it's for an Iron Chef competition.

I'll edit this in to the first post.

Buufreak
2019-11-08, 06:25 PM
I suppose start with full blade...

thorr-kan
2019-11-08, 06:40 PM
I suppose start with full blade...
Alternatively, dwarvencraft (Races of Stone) masterwork (PH) mecurial greatsword (A&EG) made of Baatorian green steel (Lord of the Iron Fortress) with an oil chamber (Dungeonscape). Use various alchemical oils for your desired purpose.

Raz Dazzle
2019-11-08, 06:53 PM
Can never remember if Dragonlance is first or third party, but... War of the Lance has Items of Legend, Masterwork Items with five times the effectiveness for five times the price. +5 bonus to attack rolls instead of an ordinary Masterwork's +1.

RedMage125
2019-11-08, 07:20 PM
Alternatively, dwarvencraft (Races of Stone) masterwork (PH) mecurial greatsword (A&EG) made of Baatorian green steel (Lord of the Iron Fortress) with an oil chamber (Dungeonscape). Use various alchemical oils for your desired purpose.

I was gonna say Adamantine, but...this is better.

Althogh...if we're doing what the Op asked, and "keeping with the spirit of the challenge", I would call the oil chamber mutually exclusive with a mercurial weapon, which has a hollow chamber half-filled with mercury.

ViperMagnum357
2019-11-08, 07:28 PM
Can never remember if Dragonlance is first or third party, but... War of the Lance has Items of Legend, Masterwork Items with five times the effectiveness for five times the price. +5 bonus to attack rolls instead of an ordinary Masterwork's +1.

This is a good start, and I take this as an invitation towards licensed material, though not Third party. Dragon 358 has the Artisan Craftsman feat, allowing a crafter to add up to five qualities to a weapon: Razor Sharp for +1 damage, Serrated for a minor bleeding effect on a crit, then your choice of 3 others, depending on what you need and if you expect your weapon to be attacked directly.

As for special materials: Adamantine and Kaorti Resin are attractive, but I might go for Rokugani Steel. It can only be forged by the Master Smith PRC from Magic of Rokugan, but it can get a natural enhancement bonus of up to +4, similar but far superior to Baatorian Green Steel. The Legendary quality steel at +4 also has Hardness 20 and 35 HP per inch, so it will not get Sundered by the first bruiser wielding Adamantine.

Next is a template: Gloryborn and Soulforged provide minor damage when charging or charged, and Hellforged when you flank-all decent but not great. I like Pitspawned best, with +2 to confirm crits to make those hits matter.

Together, an Item of Legend with the Serrated and Razor Sharp qualities, Pitspawned template, and forged of Legendary Rokugani Steel would have +5 to hit and damage, and +2 to confirm crits that bleed for an addition point for 1d4 rounds. 20 Hardness, 35 HP, and three slots available for Artisan Craftsman, several of which can further increase HP/Hardness or add other, minor bonuses. Pretty solid weapon, for something in an AMF.

animewatcha
2019-11-08, 07:34 PM
So given that previous responses have named several sources ( both 3.5e WOTC-legal and third party like Rokugan ), I hereby ask OP to specify which sources can be used.

ViperMagnum357
2019-11-08, 07:41 PM
More licensed material: from the complete exotic arms guide, also Rokugan. Kaiu Blades are normally Katanas, but they have a listed price, so you could reverse engineer the pricing to add it to another weapon, which would make it literally indestructible apart from a Wish spell or the direct intervention of a divine being. A Shosuro blade adds +1 to the save DC of any poison from the blade's attack; and if you are willing to invest 8 ranks in Iaijutsu a Kakita dueling blade will add a +2 competence bonus to Iaijutsu checks and a +1 competence bonus to Initiative.

Ruethgar
2019-11-08, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't go sword a Quadruple Wand Chambered Legendary Elvencrafted Bow Bladed Composite Longbow with an inbuilt Static or Bio battery(Ravenloft) to power the Create Device(Wands) in your weapon.

Of course if you really want to murder the entire plane, just bring some black sand in one of those fancy hidden compartments. Have you ever tried to get rid of sand? It's always there, and, well, this is self-replicating murder sand. Without magic to get it off of you, its pretty much near unavoidable death for anything living. Same can be said of temporal sand, but that's non-lethal instead of negative. If you can manage to non-magically hold some voidstone and move it around, that would also be a great way to kill things.

I would probably get Shapesand and Catalogs of Enlightenment for more control if you're going into no magic territory, That could give you any weapon you might want... such as a Spirit Bow for 750ft range increment and 1d20 damage.

Buufreak
2019-11-08, 11:38 PM

Wait, where'd that thread go about making the ultimate material weapon? Ended up with like 296 hardness, or close to that.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-11-08, 11:58 PM
I recently made a character that wields an alchemical gold fullblade. 3d8 on-hit is hard to argue with for sheer damage. Didn't bother with dwarvencraft but it wouldn't hurt. Neither would strapping on an oil chamber you can load with alchemical cartridges.

The dwarvencraft mercurial greatsword that Thorr-kan came up with is pretty solid but I'd go with gehennan morguth iron for the special material. Foes have to save on every hit or be subject to dex damage from the material's naturally poisonous nature.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-11-09, 12:30 AM
If by "mundane" you mean "nonmagical," you could get an aurorum +2 kakita katana (which, oddly enough, does not count against your magical enhancements or the pricing thereof, but it does count as having a +X enhancement for the purposes of granting the blade magical abilities).

So the +2 is +8,000 gp and allows you to add magic abilities, and yet adding a +1 ability still only costs an extra +2,000 gp, since the enhancement is nonmagical.

Now, get someone with the Create Device (Arms & Armor) feat from Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood, along with a few fuel cells to fuel its abilities and add +10 in nonmagical "magical" weapon abilities to it. Since the kakita ability isn't a device ability, it shouldn't count towards pricing, either.

Use Create Device to craft a high-ML dorje of metaphysical weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metaphysicalWeapon.htm) for an excessively high nonpsionic enhancement bonus.

Now, using Create Device, make it morphing, change it to a double weapon, enhance both ends in various ways; make sure one side is metalline, sizing, morphing, aptitude, and whatever else you want to make it a +2 enhancement/+10 ability weapon, with another +2/+10 on the other side, add wand chambers, oil chambers, close combat blades (which also has whatever other enhancements you want) on both sides (which may be doable using morphing). After that, is there any way to morph it into a double-weapon'd crescent blade so you get two hits at once any time you strike with it? Either way, make sure it's a 2-hander crescent blade via the rules in Savage Species to get extra damage via your Strength and (possibly) Power Attack, despite being a light weapon (since it's also a 2-hander; make it Large if need be).

Aurorum is its base state so it can be reconstituted if destroyed, and metalline gives you more flexibility in what you want while it's in use.

Anything else to add to it?

[edit] Oh! And note that none of the above is magical, so feel free to add magical abilities to it, as well, which aren't affected price-wise either way.

Crake
2019-11-09, 01:18 AM
I'd say "the best" comes down to what exactly you plan to be fighting/how you like to fight. A few interesting choices:

A Pitspawned Abyssal Bloodiron falcion, forged by the smiths of hell with abyssal ore stolen from the abyss in their spoils of war, has an 18-20 crit range and a +6 bonus to confirm critcal strikes. Extra points if you get improved critical for a falcion for 15-20 crit range.

A Gloryborn Alchemical Gold Fullblade does 3d8 damage, with a 19-20 crit range, and has +1 damage on charges. Extra points of you take the mercurial weapons as a guideline to be able to make other mercurial weapons, making a Mercurial Gloryborn Alchemical Gold Fullblade that does 3d8 damage and a 20/x4 crit rate. Requires a hyper specialized Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat due to the alchemical gold/mercurial.

Depending on what you expect to be fighting, there's a variety of materials that will outright bypass the DR of various creatures, even DR/-. Calomal bypasses the DR of creatures with the fire subtype, Flametouched Iron and frystalline bypasses DR/evil (though I believe DR/evil is considered supernatural DR, so I'm not sure if that would continue to function anyway), Kheferu bypasses the DR of earth subtype creatures, Starmetal acts as adamantium, but also deals an extra 1d6 damage vs outsiders, Targath overcomes the DR of undead, but has -1 on attack and damage, if you expect to be fighting underwater at all Pearlsteel reduces the penalty to hit down to -1, and the penalty to damage to -2, instead of half.

People have already mentioned Baatorian green steel as an option to get +1 to damage, though it's limited to piercing/slashing weapons only, but blue ice is also an option if you're using a slashing weapon, and it doubles up as a permanent cooling stick that could be useful in other ways, while Byeshk is the option for +1 damage if you want to use a bludgeoning weapon.

Rimefire Ice also adds a nice utility in that it glows, giving you a mundane, but permanent light source, and also has the benefit of dealing +1 cold damage. There's also a bunch of other metals that deal +1 of various elemental damages, Darksteel for electricity, Fever Iron for fire, Kizagkuur does both fire and electricity, while dragonfang does the damage of whatever dragon you managed to craft it out of.

Two honourable mentions: Serrenwood can hit incorporeal, but is wood, so you'd need to use a staff or club or the like. Incorporeal creatures wink out in an antimagic zone, but afaik, they remain in a dead magic zone. Cyrite can bypass DR/magic, but again, I'm pretty sure all DR/magic is supernatural, so it should be shut down in a dead magic zone.

Final note: Why bring just one? If you're not enchanting them, you can likely afford a whole slew of highly specialized weapons to deal with whatever foe comes your way.

tiercel
2019-11-09, 01:43 AM
Final note: Why bring just one? If you're not enchanting them, you can likely afford a whole slew of highly specialized weapons to deal with whatever foe comes your way.

This, and on this note, there’s no way I wouldn’t want to bring an adamantine weapon, not least because dead magic so often occurs in deep dungeons, in which not only is there about a 140% chance of encountering constructs, but the utility of being able to cut through locks, chest, doors, walls, etc. is just too useful even generally, much less when magic isn’t around to solve everything.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-11-09, 01:56 AM
Riverine is a [force] effect, works in a dead magic zone or antimagic field, and hits ethereals and incorporeals just fine. It's also indestructible barring a(n admittedly, surprisingly sizeable) limited number of ways.

Isn't serrenwood technically living, so disintegrate type effects don't affect it?

Crake
2019-11-09, 03:54 AM
Riverine is a [force] effect, works in a dead magic zone or antimagic field, and hits ethereals and incorporeals just fine. It's also indestructible barring a(n admittedly, surprisingly sizeable) limited number of ways.

Isn't serrenwood technically living, so disintegrate type effects don't affect it?

You might be thinking of livingwood? I'm surprised that I don't have it on my list, which makes me suspect it's pathfinder.

Fake Edit: It's greenwood, and yes, it is indeed pathfinder material. I only know this because of our token obsessed-with-druids-and-nature player who's brought it up many times.

Also, I specifically left out riverine because while it may indeed function in an antimagic field, I'm a) not so sure about a dead magic zone, and b) thinking it's against the spirit of the exercise, because it's quite literally made of walls of force, which are most definitely magical.

Real Edit: Also, being alive is irrelevant for disintegrate when it's an object in question. Objects, alive or dead, are affected normally by disintegrate, it's the object/creature distinction that changes the function of disintegrate, not the living/nonliving distinction.

hamishspence
2019-11-09, 04:21 AM
Being "living matter" does provide vulnerability to Brilliant Energy. A Brilliant Energy sword can sunder a Greenwood weapon, when it would just pass straight through a Darkwood weapon.

TheCount
2019-11-09, 05:16 AM
i would go with a pitspawned dwarwncraft Aurorum with oerthblood alloyed weapon, then Matter manipulation manifested on it.
also, these are nice imo:Hilt Hollow, Oil Chamber, Close fighting blade and ofc Weapon Capsule Retainer, Triple

Armoe and Equipment Guide also has potion belt.....wich could be used for poison or oil storage as well imo.

Dragon also has some stuff:
Acid Washed: bonus against acid, rust or distintegration
Basket Hilt: bonus against disarm attempts
Caster Armor: reduces ASF
Enhanced Bracing: Bonus to damage when set against a charge
Enviromentally Designed: Bonus to saving throws against harsh enviromental conditions(hot or cold)
Folded Metal: Bonus to hardness
Lightweight: makes armor lighter
Long-Range: increases range increment of bows and crossbows
Ornate: bonus to diplomancy or intimidate
Perfect Balance: bonus to AC when taking the total defense action, melee weapon only
Razor Sharp: extra damage on a bladed slashing weapon
Reinforced: increased armor bonus and weight
Resilient: extra hit points to the item
Segmented: increases MDB
Serrated: extra damage on a successful critical hit
Vital Coverage: bonus to AC when opponent is confirming a critical

as for weapon...thats up to you though...Executioner's mace might be worth it, as it can deal piercing and slashing OR piercing and bludgeoning damage...

also, pack your favorite alchemical items as well, on that note, im seconding shapeshand (can a carrige made of it move on its own?)

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-11-09, 01:12 PM
Hmm. I was actually thinking about livewood (http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/livewood), though I could've sworn serrenwood counted as being alive.

Another of the unusual woods of Aerenal, livewood is a green-colored hardwood with a highly magical nature. When livewood trees are felled, they do not die, though they stop all growth. Livewood can be worked like normal hardwood, while it remains completely alive. In most respects, livewood is just like normal wood.
A few spells affect livewood in different ways from normal wood, however. Plant growth causes worked livewood to sprout small branches and leaves, though diminish plants has no effect. Speak with plants allows a character to communicate with a livewood object, though such an object has no more awareness of its surroundings than most normal plants. Blight deals damage to a livewood object as if the object were a plant creature (1d6 points of damage per level; the wood’s hardness does not apply). A character can use tree stride to move from one livewood object to another, or from a livewood tree to a livewood object (and vice versa), as long as the livewood object is large enough. Animate plants can animate a livewood object.
Dryads occasionally make their homes in livewood trees instead of oak trees. Such a dryad looks no more kindly upon the felling of her tree than other dryads do, but the felling of her livewood tree does not kill her—nor does it end her dependence on the tree. As a result, dryads can be found within livewood objects, including buildings, furniture, and ships.

Price: Livewood has hardness 6 and 10 hit points per inch of thickness. The cost of a livewood item is half again as much (+50%) as a normal wooden item. Items without wooden parts, including armor and bladed weapons, can not be made from livewood.Disintegrate specifies what happens when a creature gets hit, and when objects get hit the spell dissolves a 10' cube of nonliving matter, but apparently nothing happens when it hits living objects, such as normal plants and livewood. At least, not if they fail their saves. (Succeeding on a save deals 5d6 damage.)

When used against an object, the ray simply disintegrates as much as one 10-foot cube of nonliving matter.

A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is partially affected, taking only 5d6 points of damage. If this damage reduces the creature or object to 0 or fewer hit points, it is entirely disintegrated.

Maat Mons
2019-11-09, 05:29 PM
Copy/Paste from my old notes:

You might find this useful:

Armor Modifications

Masterwork

Masterwork: 1 better ACP, +150 gp, Player's Handbook p126
Item of Renown: 2 better ACP, +300 gp, War of the Lance p23
Item of Fame: 3 better ACP, +450 gp, War of the Lance p23
Item of Glory: 4 better ACP, +600 gp, War of the Lance p23
Item of Legend: 5 better ACP, +750 gp, War of the Lance p23

Alloy Components

Oerthblood: +1 (light), +2 (medium), or +3 (heavy) luck bonus saves vs. magic, DR 1/- (light), 2/- (medium), or 3/- (heavy), *2 hardness, *1.5 HP, +10,000 gp (light), +20,000 gp (medium), +30,000 gp (heavy), Dragon 351 p45
Pure Ore: masterwork, *2 hardness, *2 HP, +800 gp (light), +3,000 gp (medium), +7,000 gp (heavy), Dragon 347 p47

Artisan Craftsman Qualities

Acid Washed: +4 saves vs. acid, rust, & disintegration, +100 gp (light) or +200 gp (medium or heavy), metal only, Dragon 358 p39
Caster Armor: -5% ASF, +400 gp (light), +800 gp (medium), or +1,000 gp (heavy), Dragon 358 p39
Environmentally Designed: +2 saves vs. heat or cold, +100 gp, Dragon 358 p40
Lightweight: -20% weight, +200 gp (light or medium) or +500 gp (heavy), Dragon 358 p42
Ornate: +2 diplomacy or intimidate, +400 gp, Dragon 358 p42
Reinforced: +1 AC, +10% weight, +800 gp (light), +1,000 gp (medium), or +1,200 gp (heavy), Dragon 358 p42
Resilient: +5 HP, +200 gp, Dragon 358 p42
Segmented: +1 max. dex bonus, +200 gp (light or medium) or +300 gp (heavy), Dragon 358 p42
Vital Coverage: +2 AC vs. critical confirmation, +200 gp (light), +400 gp (medium), or +1,000 gp (heavy), Dragon 358 p43

Templates

Feycraft: -5% ASF, -10% weight, +1 bluff to deceive, -1 hardness, -5 HP, +500 gp, light or medium only, Dungeon Master's Guide II p274
Fireshaped: +2 saves vs. fire & heat, +300 gp, metal only, Dungeon Master's Guide II p275
Githcraft: -5% ASF, +1 concentration, +600 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p276
Gloryborn: +1 AC when charging, +150 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p277
Hellforged: +1 AC when adjacent to ally, +1 hardness, +5 HP, 1 better ACP, -1 max. dex bonus, +5% ASF, +1,000 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p277
Pitspawn: 1 damage to attacker, +600 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p278
Soulforged: +2 to resist bull rush & trip, +1 hardness, +5 HP, +400 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p279

Weapons

Armor Razors: Slashing armor spikes, +10 lb., +50 gp, Underdark p65
Armor Spikes: Weapon, +10 lb., +50 gp, Player's Handbook p124
Elbow Blade: Punching dagger, +1 lb., +4 gp, Complete Scoundrel p110
Knee Blade: Short sword, +2 lb., +20 gp, Complete Scoundrel p110
Netcutter Spikes: Armor spikes, +4 escape net & web, +10 lb., +200 gp, Races of the Wild p167

Other Modifications

Buoyancy: Don't double ACP for swim, 1 worse ACP, +50 gp, Underdark p65
Camouflage: +2 hide in specific terrain, +2 lb., +300 gp, Underdark p66
Camouflage Dye: +4 hide in specific forest, +300 gp, padded, leather, hide, or studded leather only, Races of Faerun p158
Ceremonial: +1 max. dex, 2 better ACP, no speed reduction, half ASF, half weight, half AC bonus, twice normal cost of masterwork armor, Dungeon 105 p71
Dwarvencraft: +2 hardness, +10 HP, +2 saves, +300 gp, metal or stone only, Races of Stone p159
Fast-Donning Straps: No increase in ACP for donning hastily, +150 gp, Races of Stone p155
Forestwarden Shroud: Tumble & move silently through undergrowth, +2 pounds, +100 gp, Races of the Wild p167
Keel: +2 swim, +2 lb., +50 gp, Stormwrack p106
Muffling: +2 move silently, +2 lb., +300 gp, Underdark p66
Oil Chamber: Store & release oil, +1,000 gp, Dungeonscape p33
Quick-Escape: Remove as standard action, double time to put on, +2 lb., +300 gp, masterwork only, Arms and Equipment Guide p16
Riding Straps: +1 ride, +200 gp, Races of Stone p157
Sanctified: Divine focus, +50 gp, Dungeonscape p34
Signature Crest: Decoration, +50 gp, Races of Stone p158
Stability Weights: +2 balance & to resist bull rush & trip, -1 max. dex bonus, +10% ASF, +1 armor category, +30 lb., +160 gp, Underdark p66
Stinging Polyps: Paralyze grappled opponent for 1d4 rounds 1/day (fort DC 14 negates), +500 gp, living coral only, Stormwrack p106
Susalian Chainweave: DR 3/piercing, +28,000 gp (light), +35,000 gp (medium), or +42,000 gp (heavy), Complete Warrior p136
Ysgardian Heartwire: +2 AC vs. critical confirmation, +1,500 gp, Book of Exalted Deeds p38

Accessories

Chahar-Aina: +1 AC, -1 ACP, 5% ASF, 10 lb., 75 gp, Oriental Adventures p75
Dastana: +1 AC, -1 ACP, 5% ASF, 5 lb., 25 gp, Arms and Equipment Guide p15, Oriental Adventures p75
Earthsilk Jersey: DR 1/shashing or bludgeoning, torn on critical hit dealing piercing damage, 2 lb., 150 gp, Races of Stone p160
Gauntlet, Locked: +10 vs. disarm, +5lb. (breastplate, light armor, or no armor), 8 gp, Player's Handbook p124
Gorget: +10 AC vs. garrote, -4 extended physical actions, 5 lb., 10 gp, Song and Silence p54
Leather Collar: +4 AC vs. garrote, -2 extended physical actions, 2 lb., 2 gp, Song and Silence p54
Thistledown Suit: -5% ASF, 1 worse ACP, 250 gp, Races of the Wild p168

Shield Modifications

Masterwork

Masterwork: 1 better ACP, +150 gp, Player's Handbook p126
Item of Renown: 2 better ACP, +300 gp, War of the Lance p23
Item of Fame: 3 better ACP, +450 gp, War of the Lance p23
Item of Glory: 4 better ACP, +600 gp, War of the Lance p23
Item of Legend: 5 better ACP, +750 gp, War of the Lance p23

Alloy Components

Oerthblood: *2 hardness, *1.5 HP, +10,000 gp, Dragon 351 p45
Pure Ore: masterwork, *2 hardness, *2 HP, +400 gp/lb., Dragon 347 p47

Templates

Feycraft: -5% ASF, -10% weight, +1 bluff to deceive, -1 hardness, -5 HP, +500 gp, wooden only, Dungeon Master's Guide II p274
Fireshaped: +300 gp, metal only, Dungeon Master's Guide II p275
Githcraft: -5% ASF, +1 concentration, +600 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p276
Gloryborn: +150 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p277
Hellforged: +1 hardness, +5 HP, 1 better armor check penalty, -1 max. dex bonus, +5% ASF, +1,000 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p277
Pitspawn: 1 damage to attacker, +600 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p278
Soulforged: +2 to resist bull rush & trip, +1 hardness, +5 HP, +400 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p279

Weapons

Shield Sheathe: Store light weapon, draw as free action, +25 gp, not buckler, Races of Stone p158
Shield Spikes: Weapon, +5 lb., +10 gp, not buckler, Player's Handbook p125

Other Modifications

Dwarvencraft: +2 hardness, +10 HP, +2 saves, +300 gp, metal or stone only, Races of Stone p159
Sanctified: Divine focus, +50 gp, Dungeonscape p34
Wand Chamber: Store & use wand, +100 gp, Dungeonscape p34

Weapon Modifications

Masterwork

Masterwork: +1 enhancement bonus attack rolls, +300 gp, Player's Handbook p122
Item of Renown: +2 enhancement bonus attack rolls, +600 gp, War of the Lance p23
Item of Fame: +3 enhancement bonus attack rolls, +900 gp, War of the Lance p23
Item of Glory: +4 enhancement bonus attack rolls, +1,200 gp, War of the Lance p23
Item of Legend: +5 enhancement bonus attack rolls, +1,500 gp, War of the Lance p23

Alloy Components

Oerthblood: +1 luck bonus attack & damage, target takes -1 saves vs. magic for 1 round (stacks with self), *2 hardness, *1.5 HP, +6,000 gp, Dragon 351 p45
Pure Ore: masterwork, *2 hardness, *2 HP, +400 gp/lb., Dragon 347 p47

Artisan Craftsman Qualities

Acid Washed: +4 saves vs. acid, rust, & disintegration, +100 gp, metal only, Dragon 358 p39
Basket Hilt: +4 to resist disarm, +50 gp, sword only, Dragon 358 p39
Blood Groove: -20% weight, +2 hardness, +100 gp, sword only, Dragon 358 p39
Deceptive: +4 sleight of hand to disguise weapon, +800 gp, Dragon 358 p40
Enhanced Bracing: +2 damage when set against charge, +100 gp, spear or polearm only, Dragon 358 p40
Folded Metal: +4 hardness, +200 gp, metal only, Dragon 358 p40
Long Range: +20 feet range increment, +100 gp, bow or crossbow only, Dragon 358 p42
Ornate: +2 diplomacy or intimidate, +400 gp, Dragon 358 p42
Perfect Balance: +1 AC with total defense, +100 gp, melee only, Dragon 358 p42
Razor Sharp: +1 damage, +1,000 gp, slashing only, Dragon 358 p42
Resilient: +5 HP, +200 gp, Dragon 358 p42
Serrated: 1 bleed damage for 1d4 rounds on critical, +600 gp, piercing or slashing only, Dragon 358 p43

Templates

Feycraft: Weapon finesse, -10% weight, -1 hardness, reduced damage, +1,500 gp, light or 1-handed melee only, Dungeon Master's Guide II p274
Fireshaped: +1 damage vs. cold creature, +800 gp, metal edge only, Dungeon Master's Guide II p275
Githcraft: +1 damage vs. psionic creature, +900 gp, bladed only, Dungeon Master's Guide II p276
Gloryborn: +1 damage when charging, +600 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p277
Hellforged: +1 damage vs. flanked creature, +1 hardness, +5 HP, +1,500 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p277
Pitspawn: +2 to confirm critical, +1,000 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p278
Soulforged: +2 damage vs. charging creature, +1 hardness, +5 hp, +800 gp, Dungeon Master's Guide II p279

Weapons

Blade, Close Fighting: Retractable dagger, +100 gp, 1-handed or 2-handed melee only, Races of the Wild p166
Bow Blade: Punching dagger, 0.5 lb., 4 gp, Complete Scoundrel p109
Crossbow Bayonet, Knife: Shortspear, 1 lb., 2 gp, Complete Scoundrel p109
Crossbow Bayonet, Sword: Spear, 2 lb., 4 gp, Complete Scoundrel p109
Hand Crossbow Blade: Dagger, 0.5 lb., 4 gp, Complete Scoundrel p109

Other Modifications

Breakaway: Divide & reassemble weapon, threat range reduced to 20, +1,000 gp, Dragon Annual 5 p28
Disguised: +5 sleight of hand to conceal (in addition to normal +2), +50 gp, dagger only, Dragon 316 p40
Dwarvencraft: +2 hardness, +10 HP, +2 saves, +600 gp, metal or stone only, Races of Stone p159
Elvencraft: Usable as club or quarterstaff, +300 gp, bow only, Races of the Wild p166
Folding: Concealable, +75 gp, non-composite bow only, Dragon 316 p40
Hilt Hollow: Store small item, +200 gp, Dungeonscape p33
Modular: Divide & reassemble weapon, breaks on a natural 1, +150 gp, simple or martial melee weapon up to 5 lb., hand crossbow, dart, or sling only, Dragon 316 p40
Quicksilver/Iron-Filled: +2 damage (large striking area), +1 damage (other), +5,000 gp, not “small,” Dragon Annual 5 p28
Wand Chamber: Store & use wand, +100 gp, Dungeonscape p34

Accessories

Crossbow Sight, Gnome: Treat targets as 2 range increments closer, 150 gp, crossbow only, Arms and Equipment Guide p36
Drop Sheathe: Store light weapon, +5 sleight of hand to conceal, draw as free action, 600 gp, Dragon 316 p41
False Scabbard: Store small item, 1 lb., 15 gp, Dragon 316 p41
False Scabbard Tip: Store small item, +10 gp or +110 gp (quick-release mechanism), Complete Scoundrel p108
Reinforced Sheathe: Used over weapon, convert to bludgeoning, -2 attack, overwrite magic properties, bladed slashing or piercing only, Dragon 324 p57
Weapon Capsule Retainer: Holds 1 alchemical weapon capsule, 100 gp, Complete Adventurer p121
Weapon Capsule Retainer, Triple: Holds 3 alchemical weapon capsules, 450 gp, 100 gp, Complete Adventurer p121

Crake
2019-11-09, 08:11 PM
Hmm. I was actually thinking about livewood (http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/livewood), though I could've sworn serrenwood counted as being alive.

Disintegrate specifies what happens when a creature gets hit, and when objects get hit the spell dissolves a 10' cube of nonliving matter, but apparently nothing happens when it hits living objects, such as normal plants and livewood. At least, not if they fail their saves. (Succeeding on a save deals 5d6 damage.)

I mean, to be fair, the crunch definition of "Living" means "to have a con score"

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-11-09, 08:18 PM
I mean, to be fair, the crunch definition of "Living" means "to have a con score""And plants," of course. :smallsmile:

Thurbane
2019-11-10, 04:35 AM

I prefer official 3.5 and un-updated 3.0, including WotC web articles. Dragon is not ideal, but might be approved on a case-by-case basis. No "licensed" 3rd party, and no PF.

Dragonlance Campaign Setting, Dragon Compandium, Shackled City Hardcover all count as official for me. Other Dragonlance books, KoK, Rokugan, Ravenloft etc. do not.

If you're in doubt as to what I like to use, assume it's for an Iron Chef competition.

ShurikVch
2019-11-10, 06:12 AM
Riverine is a [force] effect, works in a dead magic zone or antimagic field[citation needed]

hamishspence
2019-11-10, 06:22 AM
Not all [force] effects function in an antimagic field - but Wall of Force is specifically called out as doing so:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm

Riverine is water sandwiched between walls of force. As described in Stormwrack - in most respects a riverine item functions the same way as a wall of force, for things like blocking ethereal travel, etc.

A dead magic zone functions in most respects like an antimagic field, with the exception that Shadow Weave spells, items, etc function in one.

Crake
2019-11-10, 06:27 AM
[citation needed]

Riverine does block spells and effects just as a wall of force does (though not necessarily protecting the wearer in such a fashion if it's in armor form, because the armor has gaps), that's written in the riverine description, however the real question is, does a wall of force survive in a dead magic zone or not. The DMG describes a dead magic plane as being functionally like a planar wide antimagic field, but I don't know if dead magic zones function differently.

hamishspence
2019-11-10, 06:39 AM
As described in the FR Campaign Setting book, they function basically as antimagic fields, except with respect to the Shadow Weave.

ShurikVch
2019-11-10, 06:52 AM
Well, at the very least, near the Spire of Outlands magic just don't works full stop, no ifs or buts

EDIT:
Truesilver weapon special ability (Ghostwalk), despite its "+1 bonus" market price, isn't magical - literally "No aura (nonmagical)". It's better than simple Alchemical Silver weapon, because you can add it to weapon made of any material, and also allow to crit and sneak attack ghosts; costs +1000 gp.

hamishspence
2019-11-10, 07:12 AM
As described in MoTP, the Limited Magic trait is equivalent to the Dead Magic trait.

Which may mean that if you create a Wall Of Force far away from the Spire, and then move toward the Spire, it will never actually be neutralised, even if you're incapable of actually creating one that close.

Crake
2019-11-10, 07:15 AM
Well, at the very least, near the Spire of Outlands magic just don't works full stop, no ifs or buts

EDIT:
Truesilver weapon special ability (Ghostwalk), despite its "+1 bonus" market price, isn't magical - literally "No aura (nonmagical)". It's better than simple Alchemical Silver weapon, because you can add it to weapon made of any material

It also seems to have been errataed to be just +1000gp, instead of +1 bonus.

ShurikVch
2019-11-10, 07:25 AM
It also seems to have been errataed to be just +1000gp, instead of +1 bonus.True! :smallsmile:

EDIT:

As described in MoTP, the Limited Magic trait is equivalent to the Dead Magic trait.

Which may mean that if you create a Wall Of Force far away from the Spire, and then move toward the Spire, it will never actually be neutralised, even if you're incapable of actually creating one that close.Actually, Limited Magic trait says:
Limited Magic: These planes only permit spells and spell-like abilities from certain schools, subschools, descriptors, or levels to be cast. Other spells and spell-like abilities simply don’t work; for them, this plane functions like a dead magic plane.You see, "simply don't work" isn't consistent with existence of mobile Wall of Force, thus - may be one more example of trumped general...

hamishspence
2019-11-10, 07:35 AM
The phrase "for them, this plane functions like a dead magic plane" was what applied.

Presumably (if the walls of Force created in the processs of making riverine are exactly the same as the regular ones rules-wise), if a riverine item is walked in, the walls of force won't disappear, dumping water everywhere - the item wiil just lose all its plusses.

Dead magic is rules-wise equivalent to anti-magic, walls of force don't go away in anti-magic, therefore it follows that they don't go away in dead magic either.

BWR
2019-11-10, 10:08 AM
If you use Rokugani steel (from the d20 "Magic of Rokugan") you can give it a +4 non-magical enhancement bonus.

Powerdork
2019-11-10, 02:45 PM
I'd just like to bring it to everyone's attention, since we're getting posts like this to the current day,

"And plants," of course. :smallsmile:

Objects (such as traps) have been known to have ability scores.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-11-10, 03:01 PM
I'd just like to bring it to everyone's attention, since we're getting posts like this to the current day,

Objects (such as traps) have been known to have ability scores.While entirely fair, to my knowledge, no plants (that aren't creatures) have ever been statted up in a way that gives them such ability scores, since they don't have most of them, so some would argue that they don't have them. Not me, but I know others that would.

Plants, being living, would indeed have Con scores, but they don't have Wis or Cha scores (or they're so low they might as well be '--'), so they are indeed objects with Con scores, but good luck convincing some people.

MisterKaws
2019-11-10, 04:36 PM
I see people once again forgot the cute little weird weapon modification presented by Savage Species.

For the actual best mundane weapon money can buy, you'll want it multi-armed in addition to whatever else you want to build in it. That means you also need grafts to wield this weapon, but the resulting damage bonus from your strength can be very overwhelming depending on your race and (Ex) bonuses to abilities.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-11-10, 04:41 PM
I see people once again forgot the cute little weird weapon modification presented by Savage Species.What? I did? I seem to recall otherwise. In fact:

Either way, make sure it's a 2-hander crescent blade via the rules in Savage Species to get extra damage via your Strength and (possibly) Power Attack, despite being a light weapon (since it's also a 2-hander; make it Large if need be).

Particle_Man
2019-11-10, 05:59 PM
I take it that psionic weapons would not be allowed?

Thurbane
2019-11-10, 06:02 PM
I take it that psionic weapons would not be allowed?

Nope...would not be in the spirit of the challenge.

MisterKaws
2019-11-10, 07:15 PM
What? I did? I seem to recall otherwise. In fact:

Sorry, I skimmed and used Find in Page for "Arms" but not "Hands".

Still, why not go all the way and eight-hand it with grafts? They don't get affected by null magic either.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-11-10, 07:23 PM
Sorry, I skimmed and used Find in Page for "Arms" but not "Hands".

Still, why not go all the way and eight-hand it with grafts? They don't get affected by null magic either.The weapon I suggested is a morphing weapon. Just customize it to however many hands you've got when you morph it.

MisterKaws
2019-11-10, 10:43 PM
The weapon I suggested is a morphing weapon. Just customize it to however many hands you've got when you morph it.

Would morphing stay on, though? I don't remember it explicitly stating that it stays, and in those cases, the default answer is typically "no".

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-11-10, 11:13 PM
Would morphing stay on, though? I don't remember it explicitly stating that it stays, and in those cases, the default answer is typically "no".But it's non-magical morphing, due to the weapon being a Device sword, not a magical sword.

Think "RWBY weapon."

Crake
2019-11-11, 12:15 AM
But it's non-magical morphing, due to the weapon being a Device sword, not a magical sword.

Think "RWBY weapon."

I'm fairly sure "devices" go against the spirit of the challenge too.

One Step Two
2019-11-11, 12:36 AM
Just to throw another idea out there, can you customize the different ends of a double weapon with different materials?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-11-11, 12:41 AM
I'm fairly sure "devices" go against the spirit of the challenge too.Well, it is the best non-magical weapon money can buy...

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-11-11, 02:30 AM
Just to throw another idea out there, can you customize the different ends of a double weapon with different materials?

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure the DMG even gives the example of a cold iron/silver double sword for use against different creatures. Plus, it just makes logical sense.

Particle_Man
2019-11-11, 03:31 AM
Hmmm . . . I wonder if one could come up with a "swiss army sword" that had enough blades to cover all possible useful special materials? Sort of a non-magical rod of lordly might, perhaps?

Thurbane
2019-11-11, 04:40 PM
Well, it is the best non-magical weapon money can buy...

If you include all 3rd party sources, there might be something even more hinky. :smalltongue:

That's probably a solid idea: allows for double the modifications.

Also, many thanks to Shurikvich and Crake for bringing my attention to the Truesilver weapon property: that will be handy at my table, even outside of this challenge! :smallsmile:

AOKost
2019-11-24, 01:43 AM
I have a couple of tomes I've pieced together over the years covering Special Materials, and Item Templates that can be added, mundanely, to items, either during their creation or afterwards. I'm going to assume that only 3 & 3.5 materials are available, no PF.

Unfortunately, most of the ‘best’ sword are Exotic weapons. A nice selection you might be able to pick up relatively cheaply or even free would be any weapon with ‘elven’ in its name, which would give you access to a plethora of weapons, including the Elven lightblade (Light weapon, 1d6 18-20 x2 slashing), Elven Thinblade (One-Handed weapon, 1d8 18-20 x2 slashing), and Elven Courtblade (Two-Handed weapon, 1d10 18-20 x2 slashing) for swords specifically, simply by being an elf.

Another ‘favored’ sword that I remember off hand is the Exotic weapon the Fullblade (Two-Handed weapon, 2d8 19-20 x2 slashing).

If 3pp are available, I'd suggest checking the Arms & Armor v3.5 as it has a couple really nice weapons. One being the "Chainblade"... It's stats can be found on p. 8, under Exotic One-Handed weapons, costs 300 gold, deals 1d8 17-20 x2, 6 lbs, and is a Slashing weapon... This is one of my favorite weapons, both because of it's thematics, and because of it's stupid high natural threat range (that to my knowledge has never been errated).

There are quite a selection of interesting swords to choose from, depending on your choice in flavor, but Full-blade

It's description is as follows:
Chainblade: The chainblade has a handle and crosspiece like that of a sword with a 5 to 7 ft. long segmented blade. The segments are joined together by a slotted hinge that allows the blade as a whole to move freely along the thin axis while remaining rigid along the flat, giving the weapon a snaky, whiplike motion.

You can further improve this weapon by adding a number of mundane templates to it, after choosing it's 'base' material.

While Riverine is a stupendous material, and I greatly love using it when the chance arises, it's not likely going to be the best for a 'base' material, as I believe it can't have any 'mundane' traits' 'forged' into it during or after it's creation.

I will try to avoid writing about any nonsensical being used as weapon materials, such as Dragon Hide, Angle Skin, and the like and stick to materials that will best suited to weapons, and swords specifically, be they slashing, and / or piercing.

Abyssal Bloodiron (Planar Handbook): A weapon forged of Abyssal bloodiron is treated as a cold iron weapon, except that its wielder gains a +4 bonus when rolling to confirm a critical hit. Abyssal bloodiron has the same weight as iron or steel. A weapon made of Abyssal bloodiron costs an additional 10,000 gp, and any magical enhancements cost an additional 2,000 gp, just as with cold iron. (The price includes 300 gp for the masterwork component). Abyssal bloodiron has hardness 10 and 30 hit points per inch of thickness.

Adamantium (Player's Handbook, DMG, Magic of Faerun): Adamantium is a great starting place, having a Hardness of 20, and 40 HP / inch of thickness... Bypasses any Hardness less than 20. A little expensive, but overall a very nice choice of Special base material.

Aeroglass (Arms & Armor v3.5, Ultimate Equipment 1): Aeroglass is very intriguing. Hardness 7, 10 HP / inch of thickness, mundane weapons are automatically MW, and get an additional +1 mundane enhancement bonus to attacks, that does not stack with magical enhancements as per normal... But that still gives a +2 to hit with a mundane weapon. +1,000 gold for weapons. It's clear, and floats, so there's that to take into consideration for armor at least, but we're talking about swords...

Alchemical Silver or Silver-Alchemical (found in most sources): You can simply and easily do better...

Arandur (Magic of Faerun): Has fluff stating how sharp this material can be, even when abused, and with a Hardness of 12 and 30 HP / inch of thickness, it's rather tough, but not all that impressive...

Aurorum (Book of Exalted Deeds): An aurorum weapon, shield, or suit of armor that has been sundered can be reformed by bringing together its fragments (a full-round action). The broken pieces bond quickly and seamlessly, restoring the item to its previous state. Aurorum has the same hit points per inch of thickness and hardness as regular steel. +4,000 GP. Very nice if you're expecting to have your weapon broken often... Otherwise, keep moving on...

Baatoran Green Steel (Arms & Equipment Guide, Fiendish Codex 2): Any slashing or piercing weapon created with Baatorian green steel deals an extra 1 point of damage. This bonus stacks with enhancement bonuses provided by magic. A weapon crafted from Baatorian green steel costs an additional 1,000 gp. Baatorian green steel has hardness 12 and 30 hit points per inch of thickness.

Bergasalt (Arms & Armor 3.5): One bergasalt arrow or bolt costs 140 gp, while a bergasalt dagger costs 6,500 gp. Bergasalt weapons ignore the natural armor bonus of corporeal undead up to a maximum of +5 and are masterwork weapons for the purposes of enchantment. If you're going up against undead the entirety of a campaign, this would be invaluable...

Blood Glass (Secrets of Xen'Drik): Piercing or slashing weapons crafted from blood glass grant the wielder a +1 bonus on damage rolls. However, blood glass only has hardness 5 and 10 hp per inch of thickness

Blue Ice (Frostburn): Blue ice is much lighter than iron, and when forged into a slashing weapon it keeps its edge much longer and is much sharper than an equally forged iron weapon. Slashing weapons made of blue ice have a +1 enhancement bonus on damage. Bludgeoning or piercing weapons can be made of blue ice, but they gain no bonuses to damage. All weapons made of blue ice weigh half as much as normal.

Bluewood (Unapproachable East): A blue wood that is as hard and strong as steel, that’s half the weight… This could potentially be amazing for Druids in particular… For d4-d6 weapons, it costs an additional 400 gp, and for (any other) 800 gp.

Bronze (Arms & Equipment Guide, Dungeon Master’s Guide, Ultimate Equipment): Not great, keep moving.

Byeshk (Eberron Campaign Setting): Considering the +1 to damage only applies to bludgeoning weapons, and it only overcomes the DR of a very limited number of creatures, and since it weighs 50% more than steel items, not to mention that it costs an extra 1500gp more than a regular item makes its 17 Hardness and 35 hitpoints per inch of thickness easy to bypass…

Calomel (Magic of Eberron): Calomel overcomes the DR of Fire subtype creatures as if it were a magic weapon. It costs only double a steel, making it a uniquely interesting material, but that’s about it.

Celestrum (Advanced Gamemaster’s Guide): One of my favorite materials for armors, but for those wanting a very nice weapons as well. Celestrum actually comes in 2 varieties. Silver, and Gold. Silver weapons costs an additional 6000gp, and gold an additional 9000gp. Silver weapons weigh ½ as much as steel, and are always considered good-aligned, silver, cold iron weapons, with a hardness of 15, and 40 HP per inch of thickness. Gold Celestrum weapons weigh ¼ as much as normal, good-aligned, silver, cold-iron, with a hardness of 18 and 45 hp / inch of thickness… Very nice qualities overall for both silver and gold Celestrum… Unfortunately, you must be of good-alignment to wield them without taking non-permanent negative levels for doing so…

CHROMIUM (Arms & Armor v3.5): Adding a small quantity of chromium to steel improves its ability to resist rust. Steel items, weapons, and armor containing chromium receive a +1 circumstance bonus to resist all types of rust attacks including the physical attacks of a rust monster or the spell rusting grasp. Infusing steel with chromium increases the item’s cost by 10 gp per pound.
Cold Iron (Dungeon Master’s Guide): Costs 2x as much as Iron, overcomes DR of certain creatures, costs way more to enchant… so of debatable use…

Colored Metal (Races of the Dragon): Very interesting thematically as you can literally have your equipment colored exactly how you want, potentially. Costs 10% - 25% more for the base item cost…

Copper, Alchemical (Magic of Faerun): When magically treated, has a hardness of 10, and 30 HP / inch of thickness… Armor gains DR 2 to Electricity… So, intriguing, but I can’t see someone wielding weapons of it unless you’re in the copper/bronze age transition type of game

Crystaline (Underdark Adventurers Guide): I have a lot of reservations about this as a weapon material… It comes in 2 types, Common, costing 50 times the cost of a normal weapon, ignore half the creatures armor bonus, and deal an additional 1d6 damage on Sunder attempts, and True Crystal, costing 200 times as much, and “It ignores armor bonuses of armor, as well as deflection bonuses (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/glossary#TOC-Bonus-Deflection-) from magical items. Against magical armor, the weapon needs to have an enhancement bonus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/glossary#TOC-Enhancement-Bonus) equal to or greater than that of the armor in order to have any special effect; otherwise, it is treated as a normal weapon.
These weapons are extremely fragile, despite their incredible hardness (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipmenT/special-materials/damaging-objects#TOC-Hardness). A weapon that is true crystalline shatters on a natural attack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Natural-Attacks) roll of a 1; its hardness (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipmenT/special-materials/damaging-objects#TOC-Hardness) is 20 but it only has 5 hp. Only slashing and piercing weapons may be crystalline.”

Crystal, Deep (Expanded Psionics Handbook, Secrets of Sarlona): Costs 1,000 gp more than normal weapons, has a hardness of 10, and 30 HP per inch of thickness, and when you expend 2 Power Points, you can increase the damage you’re dealing by 2d6… Potentially very nice, especially since it’s not vulnerable to rusting, and similar attacks, but is potentially vulnerable to Shape Earth and similar spells, at your GM’s discretion

Crystal, Mundane (Expanded Psionics Handbook): Far less impressive than Deep Crystal, but available. Hardness 8, and 25 hp / inch of thickness.

Cyrite (Player’s Guide to Eberron): Costs 250 gp more than standard, overcomes DR as if it was magic… Basical ‘naturally magic steel’ without any other benefits… Keep moving

Darksteel (Magic of Faerun): Costs 1500 gp more than standard weapons, Hardness 10, 30 hp / inch of thickness, grants +1 electricity damage on successful hits that stacks with other weapon abilities that deals Electricity damage… Fun, but not fantastic

Dlarun (Magic of Faerun): Costs 1500 gp more than standard weapons, Hardness 10, 30 hp / inch of thickness, grants + 1 Cold damage on successful hits that stacks with other weapon abilities that deals Cold damage… Fun, but not fantastic

Dragonfang Weapons (Draconomicon): Costs +300 gp, assuming Hardness 10 and 30 HP / inch of thickness, always MW, and grants a +1 damage to be based off the type of dragon the weapon was made from.

Dragonsteel (Advanced Gamemaster’s Guide): Costs +30,000 gp, Hardness of 30, 60 hp / inch of thickness, “Weapons fashioned from dragonsteel have a natural ability to bypass hardness and penetrate DR. Dragonsteel weapons ignore the first 30 points of hardness of any object and penetrate any DR that can be bypassed, even if it requires a specific material (such as cold iron), an alignment (such as good), or a weapon type (such as bludgeoning). Even DR with no weakness is halved against dragonsteel weapon attacks. So light and perfectly balanced are dragonsteel weapons that they act as one class lighter (i.e., one-handed weapons as light weapons, two-handed weapons as one-handed weapons, and weapons normally one size too large to wield as two-handed weapons).” This seems to be right up the ally we’re looking for… Don’t forget that it costs an additional 5,000 gp for every magical enhancement you place on this weapon though…

Dream Silver (Arms & Armor 3.5): Light Weapons cost + 1,500 gp, One-Handed cost +2,500 gp, and two-handed costs +3,500 gp; Hardness 10, 15 hp / inch of thickness, overcomes DR Silver and Cold iron

Duskwood (Magic of Faerun): Costs +1,500 gp, Hardness 10, 30 HP / inch of thickness, always a MW item, but wood… weighs ½ as much as iron otherwise… There are better materials

Etherite (Arms & Armor): Costs up to 1,000 gp more than standard weapons, Hardness 15, 30 hp / inch of thickness, same weight as iron, and I’d assume that it works normally against incaporeal/ethereal beings/creatures as armor and shields made out of it retain their ‘natural’ AC against such beings… If so, this _could_ potentially be a steal!

Feyblade (Arms & Armor v.3.5): No price given, suggesting a trip to the Faewild to attain such a weapon, it ‘naturally’ has a +1 enhancement bonus, and weighs 25% less than normal… Intriguing and fun, but that sounds about it…

Ferroplasm (Psionics Handbook): d4 - d6 weapons cost +2,500 gp, Weapons more than d6 +7,500 gp, but they come with a natural enhancement bonus that should stack with other enhancement bonuses. The items are useless to anyone other than someone that can use psionics. Hardness 20, 40 hp / inch of thickness when ‘hard’, and Hardness 5, 20 hp / inch of thicknes when ‘soft’...

Fever Iron (Magic of Faerun): Costs +1,500 gp, Hardness 12, 30 HP / inch of thicknes. Deals an additional 1 point of fire damage.

Flametouched Iron (Eberron Campaign Setting): Costs +1,000 gp, Hardness 10, 30 HP / inch of thickness, same weight as Iron. A flametouched iron weapon is treated as a good- ligned weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Flametouched iron armor grants the wearer a +1 resistance bonus on saving throws against the spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities of evil outsiders.

Frost Steel (Ultimate Equipment 1): Costs +1,000 gp, Hardness 10, 30 HP / inch of thickness, +1 point of cold damage on a successful hit

Frystalline (Book of Exalted Deeds): Cost +2,000 gp, Hardness 10, 15 HP / inch of thickness, treated as good-aligned for the purposes of overcoming DR.

GEHENNAN MORGHUTH-IRON (ARMS AND EQUIPMENT GUIDE (3.0)): Weapon: +4,000 gp, this volcanic mineral is unique to the steep mountains of the Bleak Eternity of Gehenna, where it is occasionally mined by neutral evil fiends called yugoloths and other creatures on that forbidding plane. It forges poorly, making weapons that appear pocked and pitted and have a –1 attack and damage penalty. However, morghuth-iron is extremely toxic, rapidly poisoning the blood. A slashing or piercing weapon made of Gehenna morghuth-iron is naturally poisonous. The weapon delivers its poison (Fortitude save DC 12) with each successful attack. The initial damage is 1 point of temporary Dexterity; the secondary damage is 1d4 points of temporary Dexterity.
Glassteel (Champions of Valor, Races of Faerun): Costs +500 gp, Hardness 20, 40 HP / inch of thickness, ½ the weight of iron…

Gold, Alchemical (Magic of Faerun, Ultimate Equipment 1): I’m not going to bother… Just… nope…

Hizakuur (Magic of Faerun): Costs +1,500 gp, Hardness 10, 30 HP / inch of thickness, +1 Electricity and +1 fire damage each succsessful hit, can not ever have ‘cold’ properties enchanted into it… Extra damage is always nice…

JADE (ORIENTAL ADVENTURES (3.0)): Weapon (1d6 or lower): +6,500 gp, Weapon (1d8 or higher): +7,000 gp, Oni cannot regenerate damage dealt by a jade weapon, and their damage reduction does not apply to even non-magical jade weapons. Jade is also effective at staving off the effects of the Shadowlands Taint, at harming ghosts, and at binding other spirits. Jade weapons have the properties of a ghost touch weapon, except that incorporeal creatures cannot use jade weapons themselves. A character who possesses a jade weapon receives a +4 sacred bonus on Fortitude saving throws made to resist the Shadowlands Taint. (Even unworked jade is effective in staving off the Taint; see Chapter 12: The Shadowlands for details).
Kheferu (Sandstorm): Costs twice as much as normal iron, A kheferu weapon bypasses the damage reduction of any creature of the earth subtype, regardless of the type of damage reduction the creature possesses. Weapons made of kheferu cost twice as much to make as their normal counterparts. Also, any magical enhancements placed on the weapon cost an additional 2,000 gp.

Living Metal (Magic of Faerun): Costs 100 gp / lb of the object, Hardness 12, 30 Hp / inch of thickness. This deserves an honorable mention, even if the entry doesn’t specifically state that weapons can be made of this material, it should be presumed they can be, and healing themselves after being damaged is a nice trait for any item to have…

Mithral (DMG, Magic of Faerun): Costs 500 gold / lb of weapon, always MW, ½ the weight of iron, Hardness 15, 30 HP / inch of thickness, weapons of appropriate size are considered 1 size category lighter.

Obdurium (Stronghold Builder’s Guide): Weapons cost +6,000 gp, Hardness 30, 60 HP / inch of thickness, treat weapons and armor as adamantium except for hardness and HP

Orichalcum (Advanced Gamemaster’s Guide): Orichalcum weighs half as much as iron and is as hard as adamantine. Weapons made of orichalcum cost 6,000 gp more to make than their normal counterparts. Also, any magical enhancements cost an additional 2,000 gp. Thus, making a suit of +1 slick orichalcum full plate, for example, would cost 30,000 gp base, +1,000 gp for the enchantment, +3,750 to be slick, and +2,000 gp for enchanting orichalcum, for a total of 39,750 gp.
Weapons fashioned from orichalcum have a natural ability to bypass hardness, ignoring the first 20 points of hardness of any object. Additionally, orichalcum weapons penetrate DR as if they were alchemical silver, cold iron, or adamantine.

PANDEMONIC SILVER (COMPLETE WARRIOR (3.5)): Light Slashing or Piercing Weapon: +9,000 gp; One-Handed Slashing or Piercing Weapon: +11,000 gp; One Head of a Slashing or Piercing Double Weapon: +11,000 gp; Two-Handed Slashing or Piercing Weapon: +13,000 gp; Both Heads of a Slashing or Piercing Double Weapon: +13,000 gp; Mined from thin veins of ore on the plane of Pandemonium, pandemonic silver has all the properties of alchemical silver. In addition, a thin, unearthly scream issues forth from a bladed weapon made of pandemonic silver whenever it’s unsheathed in at least a light breeze. This scream is a sonic, mindaffecting compulsion that is a fear effect. Other than the wielder, those within 30 feet who hear the scream must succeed on a Will save or cower for 1d4 rounds. The DC of the Will save depends on the strength of the wind, as indicated on the table below. Pandemonic silver can be used to coat the striking surface of any slashing or piercing weapons made of steel. The cost of the weapon increases as shown below. Editor (Cower): The victim is frozen in fear and can take no actions. A cowering character takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class and loses her Dexterity bonus (if any).
Editor: Expensive and difficult to use, but cower is such an amazing condition to inflict on your enemies it isn’t funny. Combine this with haboob and you got yourself a scary combination. Remember, haboob requires you to swing it around over your head, it doesn’t mean it has to be out of its sheath at the time. And this material is begging for eager WSA. Then you can draw the weapon as a free action. Sweet. The problem is if you are using this inside. As it’s written, there has to be a breeze. By the chart, it works even at 0 mph. Unfortunately, WotC states that text trumps charts. So by RAW, it won’t work indoors, unless there is some sort of air flow. Check with your DM for clarification.
Editor (Combining Materials): The description of this material is that it is a coating on steel. So by RAI, I see no reason you cannot coat it on any other material. Technically by RAW, you can only put it on steel, but there are a number of steel alloys out there, so you should consider those.

Pearlsteel (STORMWRACK (3.5)): Weapon: +1,500 gp; Pearlsteel is very light, especially in water. Pearlsteel items weigh 25% less than their normal equivalents. Pearlsteel also slices more smoothly through the resistance that water presents. When a slashing weapon made of pearlsteel is used in the water, its damage is reduced by –1 rather than the normal – 2 for fighting in the water with a slashing weapon, and its damage is reduced by –2 instead of half. Editor: If for some reason you feel the need to adventure underwater and not use piercing weapons, then you might wish to use this. Frankly, I’m disappointed that didn’t consider it’s use in ranged weapons. I’d simply buy aquatic WSA and be done with it.
Editor (Combining Materials): I want to know if I can use the technique to combine pearls with other materials. If I could have adamantine that weighed 25% less, that would be worth 1,500 gp. Talk to your DM about allowing it. Frankly, I think there need to be more alloys.

Platinum, Alchemical (MAGIC OF FAERÛN (3.0)): Weapon (Up to 1d3): 1,500 gp; Weapon (1d4 to 1d6): 2,500 gp; Weapon (1d8 or higher): 7,000 gp; Platinum weapons are considered heavy weapons. Magically treated platinum weighs twice as much as steel, has hardness 10, and has 30 hit points per inch of thickness. Editor (Heavy Weapons): Heavy weapons, such as those made from gold or platinum, or unwieldy, but inflict additional damage. Without the property exotic weapon proficiency feat, you suffer a -4 penalty on attack rolls with the weapon. Only weapons made largely of metal can become heavy weapons. You can wield a heavy weapon with one more hand than is needed to avoid the penalty. Basically a light weapon becomes a one-handed weapon. A one-handed becomes two-handed. You can never use the weapon finesse feat with a weapon made of heavy metal. Heavy metal weapons inflict increased damage. Increase the damage by one step as if the weapon were one size class bigger.
Editor: See Gold.

Purple Mournlode (Magic of Eberron): Weapons cost +700 gold, Mournlode has the same weight and other physical characteristics as iron (hardness 10, 30 hit points per inch of thickness), but displays special qualities depending on the type of item it is forged into. A mournlode weapon overcomes the damage reduction of undead creatures as if it were crafted of either cold iron or alchemical silver, whichever is more appropriate.
Editor: Actually, as an anti-undead material goes, it’s not bad. If damage reduction is a problem for you, then you could do worse then drop 700 gp and use this material in your weapon.

RIEDRAN CRYSTEEL (EBERRON CAMPAIGN SETTING (3.5)): Weapon: +1,500 gp; Crysteel makes excellent weapons, and the crystalline component makes them resonate with psionic power. When wielded by a character who has at least 1 power point, a crysteel weapon gains a +1 enhancement bonus on damage rolls. Riedran crysteel has hardness 10 and 20 hit points per inch of thickness. Items made of crysteel are susceptible to the shatter spell, but gain a + 4 bonus on their saving throws to resist it because the crystal is alloyed with iron. Items without metal parts cannot be made from Riedran crysteel. Editor: If you never plan on enhancing the weapon, maybe. As it stands, it sucks.

RIVERINE (STORMWRACK (3.5)): Other: +2,000 gp/lb, This substance is considered masterwork and can be enhanced magically as any other armor. Being enclosed in magical force, it is immune to all damage and is unaffected by most spells. However, disintegrate immediately destroys an item made of riverine, as does a rod of cancellation, a sphere of annihilation, or a Mordenkainen’s disjunction spell, causing the water to spill out in a sudden rush.
Shineblade (Arms & Armor v.3.5): Shineblade is an extremely rare fey metal that, when struck, sheds a purplish light that helps negate the concealment of hidden or obstructed creatures in a 30-foot radius. A creature wielding a weapon made from this material gains an immediate Perception check to notice hidden creatures, with a fey wielder gaining a +4 circumstance bonus on the check. If the character makes an attack against a revealed creature in the same round, the miss chance due to concealment is reduced by half (from a 20% miss chance to only 10% in most cases). Cost: +1,500 gp per weapon.

Slade (Arms & Armor v.3.5): Weapon (up to d6) +25,000 gp; Weapon (d8 or more) +40,000 gp; Slade weapons are powerful. Any time a slade weapon strikes an opponent, it has the same effect as if the target had been hit by dispel magic. The dispel check is equal to 1d20 plus the amount of damage dealt. Slade weapons can be used against objects as well as creatures. Characters who wield slade weapons cannot cast spells, nor can they gain the use of any magic item (ring, bracers, etc.) affixed to the arm that holds the weapon. Unfortunately, slade weapons and armor can not be enchanted in any way. The slade alloy can be made with adamantine instead of iron alloy, providing a natural enchantment of up to +3. Slade alloy has the hardness and hit points of whatever metal is used as the base. Slade objects can be affected by any sort of magic, whether it is for repair, telekinesis, or whatever. Slade simply cannot be placed into a bag of holding or similar device.

Solanian True Steel (BOOK OF EXALTED DEEDS (3.5), ARMS AND EQUIPMENT GUIDE (3.0)): Weapon: +1,000 gp; Mined on the fourth layer of the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, this fine iron needs no alloy and shines with a silvery gleam. When forged into a weapon, it gives the wielder a +1 bonus on the confirmation roll for a critical hit. True steel has a hardness of 11 and 25 hit points per inch of thickness. Editor: Wow. How… pointless. Next.

Starmetal (Complete Arcane (3.5)): Weapon: +5,000 gp; Starmetal is extraordinarily hard, and is equal to adamantine for all purposes, including overcoming damage reduction or granting damage reduction when used in armor construction. Starmetal also possesses an inherent magical connection to the Material Plane, meaning that weapons made of the alloy are especially effective against creatures from other planes. Weapons made of Starmetal deal an extra 1d6 points of damage to any extra-planar creatures while they are on the Material Plane. Editor: An extra 2,000 gp for an extra 1d6 against extra-planar critters. You know, that could be useful to some people, but for the most part you need to tie it to your campaign setting. Depending on how much WBL you have to spare, you might be better of with adamantine.

Steelwood (Arms & Armor v3.5): Steelwood weapons are very difficult to discern from iron weapons, since the curing changes its composition. Anyone looking at a steelwood weapon must make a Spot check against DC 12 to notice that it is not made of iron. Steelwood can be used in place of any weapon requiring the use of iron. Due to its composition, it is not affected by heat metal or other metal-based spells. The material also does not rust, nor does it conduct electricity. Cost: +400 gp per weapon.

Stygian Ice (Frostburn): Cost +6,000 gp; This bears some mention but is mostly worthless in most games as it melts at 40*

Tensile Mercury (Arms & Armor v3.5): Cost 10,000 gp; Hardness 15, 30 Hp / inch of thickness, never really breaks…

Thinaun (Complete Warrior (3.5)): Light Weapon: +10,000 gp; One-Handed Weapon or One Head of a Double Weapon: +15,000 gp; Two-Handed Weapon or Both Heads of a Double Weapon: +20,000 gp; If a thinaun melee weapon is touching a creature when it dies, that creature’s soul is sucked into the weapon rather than passing on to its final reward. The soul remains in the thinaun weapon until the weapon is destroyed or another creature dies while touching the thinaun weapon (the new soul displaces the old one). Raise dead, resurrection, and similar spells won’t bring back a creature whose soul is trapped by a thinaun weapon unless the caster has the weapon in his possession. Because the soul is nearby, fewer material components are required for such spells: Reincarnation, raise dead, resurrection, and true resurrection require half as much of the relevant material component (unguents or diamonds) to cast if the soul is within a thinaun weapon. A thinaun weapon captures a soul from anyone killed while touching the weapon. This means that if the thinaun weapon’s wielder dies, her weapon captures her soul. Only melee weapons made primarily of metal can be crafted as thinaun weapons.
Touchstone Blade (Planar Handbook): Cost +200gp, can technically be added to any metal… could potentially be useful…

AOKost
2019-11-24, 01:44 AM
Let’s move on to templates that can be added to items weapons as they’re being made or after they’ve been made.

Balanced (Advanced Gamemaster’s Manual): Cost 300gp, +1 on Damage rolls

Durable (Arms & Armor v3.5): Durability does not provide a defensive armor bonus, but any item crafted specifically for durability gains a +1 inherent bonus to checks and saves against damage or breakage due to cold, fire, acid, wear and tear, or any other circumstance the GM deems might ruin equipment.
All durable items are also masterwork creations.As a general rule of thumb, items gain +10% to their hardness and +25% hit points (fractions rounded down) if constructed for durability.
Item Additional Cost1 Hardness Bonus HP Bonus
Weapons
Light blade X2 +1 +1
One-handed blade X2 +1 +1
Two-handed blade X2 +3 +5

Dwarven (Advanced Gamemaster’s Manual): Though no more functional than a typical item, something with the dwarven quality gains +1 hardness and +25% hit points (minimum of +1). Dwarven items cost twice the base cost of an object. The Craft DC for the dwarven quality is 20, and a separate Craft check is made for constructing this quality.

Dwarvencraft (Races of Stone): A dwarvencraft item’s hardness increases by 2, and it gains an additional 10 hit points. In addition, it gains a +2 bonus on all saving throws. All of these effects stack with the similar bonuses for magic items if the dwarvencraft item is made magical.
A dwarvencraft weapon costs 600 gp more than a standard weapon of its type.

Fireshape Weapons (Dungeon Master’s Guide 2): Cost +800gp, gives +1 fire damage, and makes enhancing the weapon with Flaming and Flaming Burst cheaper later on

Githcraft (Dungeon Master’s Guide 2): Cost +900gp, gives a few bonuses

Gloryborn (Dungeon Master’s Guide 2): Cost +900gp, +1 damage on charges, affinity for Lucky

Hellforged (Dungeonmaster’s Guide 2): Cost +1,500gp, +1 Hardness, +5 HP, Speed Affinity, +1 damage when flanking

Laminated Steel Weapons (AEG – Source – Mercenaries): Cost +900gp, A laminated steel weapon gains +1 to all it'd damage rolls and its critical multiplier goes up by 1 as well. For example, a laminated steel longsword deals 1d8+1 damage and has a X3 critical hit multiplier. Furthermore, the weapon gains +5 to its normal hardness.

Serrated Blade (Ultimate Equipment 1): Cost +300gp, A slashing weapon with a serrated blade will grant a +1 bonus to all damage rolls made with it.

Serrated Weapons (AEG – Source – Mercenaries): Cost +300gp, A serrated weapon has its critical hit threat range increased by +1. For example, a serrated longsword has a critical threat range of 18 – 20, instead of 19 – 20.

Dragon Magazine article “Master’s Forge”. Everything under this listing requires a feat called Artisan Craftsman to craft.

Acid Washed: Acid washing creates elaborate and beautiful patterns on the surface of the weapon. Items created with the acid washed quality gain a +4 bonus on saving throws made against acid, rust or disintegration.
Restriction: May only be applied to metal weapons and armor.
Additional Cost: +100 gp (light and weapons), +200 gp (medium and heavy)

Basket HIlt: Regardless of its appearance, a basket hilt grants a +4 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to resist disarm attempts.
Restrictions: May only be applied to swords.
Additional Cost: +50 gp; +3 to Craft DC of masterwork component

Blood Groove (Fullered): The fuller, also commonly known as the blood groove, is a furrow that travels down the length of the blade from the hilt to just before the tip, designed to reduce the weight of the blade and increase its strength. This allows the craftsman to create a lighter blade without diminishing the strength of the weapon, a process difficult to perfect but, when successful, produces a weapon both stronger and lighter. The fuller reduces weight of the weapon by 20%, or 1,2 pound, whichever is greater, and increases the Hardness by +2.
Restrictions: May only be applied to swords.
Additional Cost: +100 gp; +5 to Craft DC of Masterwork Component.

Folded Metal: A technique perfected by blasksmiths to increase the strength of their creations, the folded metal technique makes for highly durable weapons. This process involves folding two or more heated metals onto each other numerous times during forging. A weapon crafted with this item quality gains a +4 bonus to its Hardness.
Restrictions: May only be applied to metal weapons.
Additional Cost: +200 gp; +7 to Craft DC of masterwork component.

Ornate
Although most soldiers in the field care little for the decorative aspect of a weapon or suite of armor, many craftsmen come to pride themselves on the ability to make an item both utilitarian and beautiful. An ornate weapon or suite of armor brings with it a certain amount of prestige, especially since quality decoration is often a sign of great honor or station. Ornate weapons and armor grant the owner a +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy or Intimidate checks (chosen when the weapon or armor is crafted) when wielded or worn in an appropriate setting.
Restrictions: May be applied to any weapon or suit of armor.
Additional Cost: +400 gp (light), +500 gp (weapons), + 600 gp (medium and heavy); +5 to Craft DC of Masterwork component.

Perfect Balance
Weaponsmiths know the value of stability, and they often strive for the perfect balance point in every weapon they create. While a poorly balanced weapon can make the wielder clumsy and awkward in combat, a weapon with perfectly distributed weight can help a combatant remain effective even when unstable. A melee weapon with the perfect balance quality grants its wielder an additional +1 bonus to AC when taking the total defense action.
Restrictions: May only be applied to melee weapons.
Additional Cost: +100 gp; +5 to Craft DC of masterwork component.

Razor Sharp
Some craftsmen can coax a superior edge from a blade. Swordsmen consider such weapons extremely valuable, as such blades not only slice into opponents more easily but they also stick within such foes less frequently. A bladed weapon with this item quality deals an extra +1 point of damage.
Restrictions: May only be applied to bladed slashing weapons.
Additional Cost: +1,000 gp; +6 to Craft DC of a masterwork component.

Serrated
Dealing particularly nasty wounds, a serrated weapon possesses small notches along its edge that tear the flesh, much like a saw. Often used both on swords as well as the tips of axes, the serrated quality can cause excessive bleeding beyond the initial damage. Weapons with this item quality deal 1 point of damage each round for 1d4 rounds following a successful critical hit. This repeating damage does not apply to creatures immune to critical hits.
Restrictions: May only be applied to slashing &/or piercing weapons.
Additional Cost: +600 gp; +5 to Craft DC of masterwork component.

First, let us decide if we want type of material we want the weapon to be made of, as we have a vast plethora of choices, listed above.

I pundit that you skip any of the ‘organic’ options, and stick with metal. As nice as Riverine is, it can’t be alloyed with anything, and can’t have many of the templates that are available added due to not being ‘forgable’.

Out of the remaining candidates, I’d highly suggest Dragonsteel. It’s among the hardest, and best rounded metal, and one of the most expensive because of it.

If Dragonsteel is not available as it’s from a 3pp book, then I suggest Obdurium. It has the same hardness and HP as Dragonsteel, but is from an official book. You don’t have to worry much about it breaking or being sundered, except potentially by magic.

Having chosen our ‘base’ materials, we can start slightly modifying our weapon, whatever weapon you’ve chosen. The end result is up to your DMs approval, obviously.

I’m going to assume that the DM is _slightly_ sane and says that templates can only be applied once when they’re the same thing… So you couldn’t take Blanaced multiple times and increase the damage bonus, but you could potentially take Serrated multiple times, and apply each of the templates at their individual cost to the weapon.

Dragonsteel (Hardness 30/ 60 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 30,000 gp

Balanced Dragonsteel (Hardness 30/ 60 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 30,300 gp (+1 damage)

Balanced Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 30/ 60 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 30,500 gp (+1 damage, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on)

Dwarvencraft Balanced Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 32/ 70 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 31,100 gp (+1 damage, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on, +2 bonus on all the weapons saving throws)

Dwarvencraft Fireshaped Balanced Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 32/ 70 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 31,900 gp (+1 untyped damage, +1 fire damage, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on, +2 bonus on all the weapons saving throws)

Dwarvencraft Fireshaped Githcraft Balanced Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 32/ 70 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 32,800 gp (+1 untyped damage, +1 fire damage, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on, +2 bonus on all the weapons saving throws)

Dwarvencraft Fireshaped Githcraft Gloryborn Balanced Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 32/ 70 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 33,700 gp (+1 untyped damage, +1 fire damage, +1 damage on Charges, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on, +2 bonus on all the weapons saving throws)

Dwarvencraft Fireshaped Githcraft Gloryborn Hellforged Balanced Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 31/ 75 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 36,200 gp (+1 untyped damage, +1 fire damage, +1 damage on Charges, +1 damage when Flanking, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on, +2 bonus on all the weapons saving throws)

Laminated Serrated (3) Dwarvencraft Fireshaped Githcraft Gloryborn Hellforged Balanced Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 36/ 75 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 37,100 gp (+3 untyped damage, +1 fire damage, +1 damage on Charges, +1 damage when Flanking, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on, +2 bonus on all the weapons saving throws, Weapon Threat Range increases by 2, Weapon Critical Multiplier increased by 1, deal 1 point of damage each round for 1d4 rounds following a successful critical hit)

Acid Washed Laminated Serrated (3) Dwarvencraft Fireshaped Githcraft Gloryborn Hellforged Balanced Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 36/ 75 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 37,300 gp (+3 untyped damage, +1 fire damage, +1 damage on Charges, +1 damage when Flanking, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on, +2 bonus on all the weapons saving throws, +4 bonus on saving throws made against acid, rust or disintegration, Weapon Threat Range increases by 2, Weapon Critical Multiplier increased by 1, deal 1 point of damage each round for 1d4 rounds following a successful critical hit)

Blood Grooved (Fullered) Acid Washed Laminated Serrated (3) Dwarvencraft Fireshaped Githcraft Gloryborn Hellforged Balanced Basket HIlted Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 38/ 75 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 37,450 gp (+3 untyped damage, +1 fire damage, +1 damage on Charges, +1 damage when Flanking, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on, +2 bonus on all the weapons saving throws, +4 bonus on saving throws made against acid, rust or disintegration, +4 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to resist disarm attempts, Weapon Threat Range increases by 2, Weapon Critical Multiplier increased by 1, deal 1 point of damage each round for 1d4 rounds following a successful critical hit, fuller reduces weight of the weapon by 20%, or 1,2 pound, whichever is greater, )

Ornate Blood Grooved (Fullered) Acid Washed Laminated Serrated (3) Dwarvencraft Fireshaped Githcraft Gloryborn Hellforged Balanced Basket HIlted Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 38/ 75 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 37,950 gp (+3 untyped damage, +1 fire damage, +1 damage on Charges, +1 damage when Flanking, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on, +2 bonus on all the weapons saving throws, +4 bonus on saving throws made against acid, rust or disintegration, +4 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to resist disarm attempts, Weapon Threat Range increases by 2, Weapon Critical Multiplier increased by 1, deal 1 point of damage each round for 1d4 rounds following a successful critical hit, fuller reduces weight of the weapon by 20%, or 1,2 pound, whichever is greater, +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy or Intimidate checks)

Ornate Blood Grooved (Fullered) Acid Washed Laminated Serrated (3) Dwarvencraft Fireshaped Githcraft Gloryborn Hellforged Perfectly Balanced Balanced Basket HIlted Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 38/ 75 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 38,050 gp (+3 untyped damage, +1 fire damage, +1 damage on Charges, +1 damage when Flanking, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on, +2 bonus on all the weapons saving throws, +4 bonus on saving throws made against acid, rust or disintegration, +4 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to resist disarm attempts, Weapon Threat Range increases by 2, Weapon Critical Multiplier increased by 1, deal 1 point of damage each round for 1d4 rounds following a successful critical hit, fuller reduces weight of the weapon by 20%, or 1,2 pound, whichever is greater, +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy or Intimidate checks, +1 bonus to AC when taking the total defense action)

Razor Sharp Ornate Blood Grooved (Fullered) Acid Washed Laminated Serrated (3) Dwarvencraft Fireshaped Githcraft Gloryborn Hellforged Perfectly Balanced Balanced Basket HIlted Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 38/ 75 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 39,050 gp (+4 untyped damage, +1 fire damage, +1 damage on Charges, +1 damage when Flanking, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on, +2 bonus on all the weapons saving throws, +4 bonus on saving throws made against acid, rust or disintegration, +4 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to resist disarm attempts, Weapon Threat Range increases by 2, Weapon Critical Multiplier increased by 1, deal 1 point of damage each round for 1d4 rounds following a successful critical hit, fuller reduces weight of the weapon by 20%, or 1,2 pound, whichever is greater, +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy or Intimidate checks, +1 bonus to AC when taking the total defense action)

Durable Razor Sharp Ornate Blood Grooved (Fullered) Acid Washed Laminated Serrated (3) Dwarvencraft Fireshaped Githcraft Gloryborn Hellforged Perfectly Balanced Balanced Basket HIlted Touchstone Dragonsteel (Hardness 38/ 75 HP / inch of thickness) weapon for a medium sized creature, 78,100 gp (+4 untyped damage, +1 fire damage, +1 damage on Charges, +1 damage when Flanking, the blade is always attuned to whatever plane it was forged on, +2 bonus on all the weapons saving throws, +4 bonus on saving throws made against acid, rust or disintegration, +4 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to resist disarm attempts, Weapon Threat Range increases by 2, Weapon Critical Multiplier increased by 1, deal 1 point of damage each round for 1d4 rounds following a successful critical hit, fuller reduces weight of the weapon by 20%, or 1,2 pound, whichever is greater, +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy or Intimidate checks, +1 bonus to AC when taking the total defense action, Durable increases Hardness & HP depending on the size of the weapon (light, one or two handed))

Items worth noting:

DIAMOND WATER GRINDER (Item)
~ TORN ASUNDER – CRITICAL HITS
This 10-inch diameter grinding stone is mounted on an axle like a wheel. The stone itself is smooth-polished and bonded with diamond dust. The lower ½ of the stone sits in a small water trough, while a flat metal brace-plate is mounted so it hovers just above the wheel and a steep angle. The axle is connected to a leather belt that leads to a foot wheel, thus when the foot wheel is pedaled, it turns the grinding stone through the water trough, keeping it wet. The speed the stone turns is dependent on how fast the device is pedaled. To sharpen an edged-weapon on the wheel, the blade is placed against the brace-plate and then fed into the wet, spinning stone; this gives the edge a very precise angle. Weapons sharpened on a diamond water grinder are so finely honed that their critical threat range is temporarily increased according to the sharpener's Craft (Weaponsmithing) Skill check.
Craft Skill Temporary Threat range Increase
DC 15 +1
DC 20 +2
DC 25 +3
Each time the weapon scores a critical hit, the edge is marred and becomes slightly dulled, reducing the critical threat range by -1 until the weapon returns to its normal critical threat range.
Cost: 500 gp; Weight: 45 lb.

Crake
2019-11-24, 02:44 AM
If 3pp are available

I mean...

It's in the opening post. Feel a bit bad that you put so much effort into a lot of 3pp stuff when you missed that :smallfrown:

Endarire
2019-11-24, 04:45 AM
The OP said nothing about the sheath/scabbard and the hilt: Make those of a special material like Adamantine for extra bonuses!

Max Caysey
2019-11-24, 11:51 AM
So, hypothetical...

You're a warrior type, and you rely on your sword more than anything else to get the job done.

You know in advance you're going to a magic-dead area (zone, plane, whatever), so magical enhancements on your sword will basically be useless.

You're expecting to fight a variety of creatures (brute monsters, other adventurers, and maybe even one or two things that can ignore the anti-magic restriction).

You have a basically unlimited pile of cash to spend on a single sword.

What would you buy? Materials, sword type and other non-magical additions. Try to focus on the weapon, and not the wielder.

Please, please - no trying to circumvent the restrictions: yes, we know you're clever and a true systems master, and I've very obviously left a loophole open there somewhere. Just for the sake of being a good citizen, please try to stick to the spirit of the challenge.

Best mundane sword: go!

Cheers - T

Laminated, Serrated, Razor-Sharp, Oerth-blooded, True-Ore, Obdurium, Great Sword!