PDA

View Full Version : Ben 10 in game terms

petermcleod117
2019-11-09, 01:08 AM
Hello!
I had any idea of how to represent Ben Tennyson in game terms.
My idea is that he could be represented by a binding class, using the options from Secrets of Pact Magic (radiance house). He would use the basic Spirit Binder class with the following adjustments, all of which are already provided as options in the supplement:

Irrepressible Binding: Ben always suffers the physical sign and personality change of the spirit in question, and he suffers the alignment shift if he fails his binding check by 5 or more. He still gains access to the capstone granted ability on a successful binding check. In exchange, he gains a single pact magic feat.

Unfavorable Sign (2x): Ben cannot bind spirits from nine out of the thirteen vatic constellations. He can only bind from: Spider, Tree, Ghoul, and Portal. In exchange, he gains two pact magic feats.

Additionally, he gains access to the following special class feature I based off one of the prestige classes in the book, at the cost of three pact magic feats:

Bind "Alien" Spirit: You learn how to bind the spirits the collective consciousness of various alien species to gain their racial skill bonus and racial abilities, plus many unique supernatural and extraordinary abilities. All abilities gained are treated as supernatural abilities for you. You never gain an alien's spell-like abilities or spells because you are tapping into a primal essence rather than a specific creature. You can attempt to form a pact with an alien that has a Challenge Rating equal to or less than your binder level. The binding DC equals 12 + the alien’s challenge rating. If you fail your binding check, you take on the appearance of the alien in question. Magic that specifically mentions the alien you made the pact with affects you as if you were a member of the species. Your personality also shifts in a manner appropriate to the alien you are binding. If you fail your check by 10 or more, then you move one step closer to the default alignment of the creature. You treat other members of the species as favored allies. If you succeed on your binding check by 10 or more, then you gain Spell Resistance equal to 5 + your binder level.

For the purpose of this ability, "alien" refers to any creature of the Aberration, Plant, or Monstrous Humanoid (Insect) species, as well as any species explicitly described as an alien in sources like D20 Modern Future and Dragonstar Galactic Races.

If your binding check enough to gain access to a capstone granted ability, you instead gain access to any one spell-like or psi-like ability the creature possesses of your choice.

Anyways, that's what I've got. What do you think?

Psyren
2019-11-09, 05:24 PM
You're a tiny bit behind - Secrets of Pact Magic was their first attempt at expanding the binding system, which was then updated to Pact Magic Unbound vols 1 and 2 for Pathfinder, which finally ended up being combined and revamped into their opus, Grimoire of Lost Souls. (https://paizo.com/products/btpy9tdc?Grimoire-of-Lost-Souls) I recommend starting with the latest version as it's been through many more iterations of community feedback and playtesting; you can find the OGL portions free online here. (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/pact-magic)

I'm not a fan of Bind Alien, it seems like it needs a lot more work. Sure the DC is high if you pick a high-CR aberration, but you could still just grab a high-CR one and fail, which has the potential of being pretty disruptive to a game. It's also very vague as far as what abilities you actually get from each one - traits? SLAs? Spellcasting? Ex abilities? Natural? I personally prefer defined spirits/vestiges that you can then evaluate against others of their level more directly/objectively.

Dr_Dinosaur
2019-11-09, 11:26 PM
Spheres of Power's Shifter class does a reasonable job of it

StSword
2019-11-11, 04:09 AM
Well for Ben 10 I'd look at one of the more freeform options for d20, like say Eclipse Persona Codex, or PlayManga.

It would take some work, but I could see refluffing liminal self feat and the tribemind from Book of Beyond Liminal Power for a Ben 10 like character.

Liminal Self allows you to have a cohort, essentially, that lives in your dreams that can possess you ala mindswap spell, tribemind, among other things, allows you to buy that feat as often as you like, rather than being limited to three.

Refluff it as physical transformation, and you could turn into a kineticist, or a sorcerer, or a spherecaster, whatever to replicate the superpowers.

Thurbane
2019-11-12, 05:35 PM
Sorcerer loading up on the specific form Polymorph spells?

Aspect of the Chromatic Dragon (must be evil)
Aspect of the Icy Hunter
Aspect of the Platinum Dragon (must be good)
Dragonshape
Dragonshape, Least
Dragonshape, Lesser
Dridershape (must be a drow)
Form of the Desert Hunter
Form of the Threefold Beast
Shape of the Hellspawned Stalker
Spider Form, Greater (must be drow)
Trollshape
Unyielding Form of Inevitable Death