PDA

View Full Version : How do you play a ghost?

Trandir
2019-11-09, 06:37 AM
There is any way to play as a ghost, spirt, poltergeirst or other similar ethereal undeads without getting obliteraded into nothingness by the LA +5?

If not does anyone knows an alternative for that?

hamishspence
2019-11-09, 08:01 AM
If the undeadliness is not important, only the Ghost bit - you can play an Outsider ghost using the Ghostwalk rules, with no LA. I think they're incorporeal.

Eldan
2019-11-09, 08:02 AM
They are incorporeal, yes. That book also contains tons of ghost feats and several ghost classes.

hamishspence
2019-11-09, 08:14 AM
As to how much Incorporeality is worth on its own, the Savage Species Ritual of Transfiguration provides a guideline: +2 LA.

Trandir
2019-11-09, 08:16 AM
If the undeadliness is not important, only the Ghost bit - you can play an Outsider ghost using the Ghostwalk rules, with no LA. I think they're incorporeal.

They are incorporeal, yes. That book also contains tons of ghost feats and several ghost classes.

Without LA a template isn't supposed to be off limits for the players?

hamishspence
2019-11-09, 08:20 AM
Ghost in Ghostwalk is a class, not a template.

"No LA" in this case means LA 0, not LA -.

Trandir
2019-11-09, 10:56 AM
Ghost in Ghostwalk is a class, not a template.

"No LA" in this case means LA 0, not LA -.

No Gostwalk's gost is a template not a class

hamishspence
2019-11-09, 11:17 AM
No Gostwalk's gost is a template not a class

I was thinking of the Eidolon class - which is the way to get some of the abilities that the Undead Ghost template gives you - you don't start off with all of them.

The Viscount
2019-11-09, 11:57 AM
There is always the savage progression (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) though it does still mean adding ECL without HD. You can a least decide when to take the levels.

Trandir
2019-11-09, 12:00 PM
I was thinking of the Eidolon class - which is the way to get some of the abilities that the Undead Ghost template gives you - you don't start off with all of them.

Ooooooooh. There is a feat to become incorporeal?

The Viscount
2019-11-09, 12:04 PM
Ooooooooh. There is a feat to become incorporeal?

Ghostwalk ghost is incorporeal by default. You can take feats to gain the ablity to interact with corporeal creatures.

ShurikVch
2019-11-09, 12:55 PM
If Ravenloft 3rd-party sources are OK to use, Ravenloft Gazetteer vol. V have Widderrìbhinn template with LA +2. It's applicable only to Fey, but you may use Jermlaine, Faun, or Duskling - which are all LA +0.

Jack_Simth
2019-11-09, 04:07 PM
There is any way to play as a ghost, spirt, poltergeirst or other similar ethereal undeads without getting obliteraded into nothingness by the LA +5?

If not does anyone knows an alternative for that?

How do you feel about mixing editions? Pathfinder has a caftable strength draining poison that turns the target incorporeal when they hit 0. Follow that up with the necropolitan ritual from Libris Mortis.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-11-09, 04:35 PM
Savage Progression Ghost (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) already got mentioned, but I think it bears repeating. Incorporeality for just +1 LA; no need to take the rest of the levels if you don't want to.

StSword
2019-11-09, 04:55 PM
If your DM is willing to incorporate pathfinder stuff, Dreamscarred Press published Monster Classes: Undead that has a ghost race and a racial class for them.

unseenmage
2019-11-09, 05:14 PM
Spam Preatidigitation and Ghost Sound to be the ghost Hunters tv version of a ghost. *spirit fingers of spookiness*

The Viscount
2019-11-09, 09:29 PM
If you want class-based methods, psion uncarnate will make you incorporeal with the ability to go corporeal for limited periods (or the reverse if you don't complete it).

SangoProduction
2019-11-09, 10:11 PM
Savage Progression Ghost (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) already got mentioned, but I think it bears repeating. Incorporeality for just +1 LA; no need to take the rest of the levels if you don't want to.

I'm pretty sure you are stuck in Savage Progression classes until you are done.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-11-10, 12:40 AM
I'm pretty sure you are stuck in Savage Progression classes until you are done.Not the ones in that article. You can take a level here and a level there and take other levels when desired.

Thing is, none of them grant HD, so they're LA by default. And since you only ever have 1 LA at a time (unless you take multiple levels at once somehow), you can buy off each point of LA as you get them before acquiring another.

As to how to play? Get some really tough critters with good physical abilities (but few to no mental and magical abilities) to possess using malevolence. A level of thrallherd is great for replenishing your stock of bodies when one dies. Or you could call them using planar binding spells, or (if you have access to longer summoning/creation effects, via necromancy, the 3.5 constructor's class abilities, etc) summon, animate, or make bodies to use.

eggynack
2019-11-10, 01:03 AM
There's always silly druid method. Aspect of the wolf for the animal type, ghost companion to turn target animal into a ghost. Of course, you then die for reals after days/level, but you can set up some method of raising yourself from the dead. Cocoon fits really well, though it requires you to be level 15.

Quertus
2019-11-10, 11:09 AM
So, the usual pattern goes something like…

Poster: "how do I…"
Playgrounder 1: "a Wizard"
Playgrounder 2: "have some cheese"
Playgrounder 3: "here's something that does some of what you want / some stuff that you didn't even realize you might need"
Playgrounder 4: "here's a royal misinterpretation of the rules"
Eggy: "a Druid can do it, too"

I gotta admit, when it came to being a ghost - an undead abomination outside the scope of "normal" nature - I hadn't expected a Druid answer. I'm pleasantly surprised to be wrong. And…

Of course, you then die for reals after days/level

I hadn't expected to see "you die" listed as a downside for becoming a ghost. :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2019-11-10, 01:02 PM
Ah, found it. Ghost Syrup (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/poison/#Ghost_Syrup). Very cheap way to get Charisma as Deflection to AC. You'll also want an Amulet of Grasping Souls (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-grasping-souls/), however.

Malphegor
2019-11-11, 02:34 AM
if you don’t mind being not being undead, Unbodied are a good way to be effectively a ghost without being a ghost.

LA 4 (but 4racial hitdie... but you effectively are a level 4 psion (telepathy) from the getgo at ecl 8)

Of course then you’re a flying incorporeal brain which is kinda awesome