PDA

View Full Version : Hulking Hurler question

Zhepna
2019-11-09, 08:25 AM
Hi,

I try to build a Hulking Hurler and I planned to put to Easy Travel property to my armor instead to take a second level in the Hulking Hurler prestige class to get Overburdened Heave.

Since the first lvl of Hulking Hurler give me Really Throw Anything(ex), I would like to know if the Easy Travel (armor property) is essentially the same as Overburdened Heave or if there's differences.

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Overburdened Heave: The hulking hurler can throw a weapon up to two sizes larger than his size category, or an item that weighs as much as his medium load (so a Large hulking hurler with a Strength score of 25 could heave a Gargantuan javelin or a rock weighing up to 533 pounds).

Easy Travel (Armor Property)

Price: +1,500 gp

Property: Armor

Caster Level: 5th

Aura: Faint; (DC 17) transmutation

Activation: —

This armor seems to weigh less than it should.

When wearing armor that has this property, you can carry up to a medium load as if it were a light load (ignoring the maximum Dexterity bonus, check penalty, and reduced speed normally incurred by a medium load). These reductions apply only to penalties for the load you carry, not to any reduction in speed caused by the armor itself.

In addition, you can walk for up to 10 hours in a day before having to make Constitution checks to avoid taking nonlethal damage (PH 164).

Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, bear’s endurance.

Cost to Create: 750 gp, 60 XP, 2 days.

Source: Magic Item Compendium

2019-11-09, 08:36 AM
When wearing armor that has this property, you can carry up to a medium load as if it were a light load (ignoring the maximum Dexterity bonus, check penalty, and reduced speed normally incurred by a medium load). These reductions apply only to penalties for the load you carry, not to any reduction in speed caused by the armor itself.

The bolded part gives me the impression that the armor isn't changing your carrying capacity, but rather is just changing how you accrue penalties based on encumbrance. If it just said "your carrying capacity is doubled" or "you treat a medium load as a light load for all purposes" or something to that degree, then yeah it'd definitely work that way, but I don't think it does based on how it's worded. I could maybe see a DM allowing it, though, especially if you weren't otherwise abusing Hulking Hurler too hard.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-11-09, 03:48 PM
Like AvatarVecna said, I don't think the armor property would let you hurl medium loads as if they were light loads. It's still probably worth getting though, because now you can actually carry around those huge objects you're throwing with Overburdened.