PDA

View Full Version : Lore (Ex) with knowledge (history)

Zhepna
2019-11-09, 10:23 AM
Hi,

I have a Cloistered Cleric with the Lore (Ex) ability.
When you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), it gives +2 to bardic knowledge checks.

Since Lore(Ex) says the 'This ability is identical to the bard's bardic knowledge class feature, using the cloistered cleric's class level in place of the bard level', does it means that if I have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), it gives +2 my Lore (Ex) ability?

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Lore (Ex)
Thanks to long hours of study, a cloistered cleric has a wide range of stray knowledge. This ability is identical to the bard's bardic knowledge class feature, using the cloistered cleric's class level in place of the bard level.

bean illus
2019-11-09, 10:36 AM
Hi,

I have a Cloistered Cleric with the Lore (Ex) ability.
When you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), it gives +2 to bardic knowledge checks.

Since Lore(Ex) says the 'This ability is identical to the bard's bardic knowledge class feature, using the cloistered cleric's class level in place of the bard level', does it means that if I have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), it gives +2 my Lore (Ex) ability?

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Lore (Ex)
Thanks to long hours of study, a cloistered cleric has a wide range of stray knowledge. This ability is identical to the bard's bardic knowledge class feature, using the cloistered cleric's class level in place of the bard level.

I've always read "identical" to mean identical, but there are some who disagree.

Duke of Urrel
2019-11-09, 04:00 PM
I agree with Bean Illus, and I believe most people in the Playground do likewise.

A much more difficult question is where the limits of both Lore and Bardic Knowledge lie. Since Knowledge skills are world-dependent and dungeon masters are the bosses of their own worlds, dungeon masters will have different ideas about the limits of what you can know with either Lore or Bardic Knowledge.

In contrast, I cannot imagine why anybody would allow the +2 synergy bonus to Bardic Knowledge checks for having five ranks of Knowledge of History but deny this bonus to Lore checks. What reason would there be for that? Does "History" have nothing to do with "Lore"?