PDA

View Full Version : Player Help A lizardfolk PC

Trandir
2019-11-09, 08:08 PM
Well again I am collecting PC ideas as backup but this one will probably be the next one to play as: a lizardfok.

Now with Cos +2, Wis +1, two proficiency that scale off wisdom and other usefull abilities druid is a prime candidare.

My guess would be to play a Moon Druid but I am open to suggestions both about optimisation and about another class to pick.

CheddarChampion
2019-11-09, 08:26 PM
Druid and Cleric both go well with the stat boosts.
You could get 10/14/15/10/16/10 with each, or 8/14/17/8/16/10 if you really want to min-max.
Both options have max AC possible with medium armor.
A cleric domain with heavy armor could do 15/10/15/10/16/8 or 15/8/17/8/16/8.
From there, just look at the guides people have posted online for Clerics and Druids.

Lastly if you want a niche build, you can make a grappling, shield using, fighter/paladin/barbarian that retains a d6 weapon in the form of their bite.
15/10/16/9/10/14 for paladin, 15/14/16/9/10/10 for barbarian, 15/10/16/10/14/10 for fighter. Take Tavern Brawler (+1 Str) at level 4 to get bonus action grappling.
Defensive fighting style because it's the only one that works for you (and isn't protection style).

Zhorn
2019-11-09, 08:56 PM
Looking at thematics; Barbarian and Ranger make solid choices, and while Lizardfolk casters are rare, they are not unheard of, so Druid fits the theme rather well.

I'm always fond of the idea of a Lizardfolk Moon Druid 9 / (?) Barbarian 5; Wild Shape Giant Snapping Turtle (ToA p222) for a Raging 17 AC beast with 2x 4d6+6 Bite attacks (or x3 if Berserker with Frenzy).

Scarytincan
2019-11-10, 01:09 PM
I'm planning an eventual long death monk, black scales with white paint or scales around his eyes. THP from the bite to help tie over until he can kill something for THP from the subclass. Just really kinda like the imagery of this spooky black reptile that won't die as it kills with claws teeth tail and marital arts, makes slings/daggers /javelins from his victims

Tawmis
2019-11-10, 01:11 PM
If you need a background written for the character - let me know (see my signature) :D

Magicspook
2019-11-10, 03:27 PM
Who cares about some +1 to a stat, why would you let that decide the class you're playing? Just play whichever class you want to play as! Play a lizardman dread knight (comquest pally), a hunter that stalks the most dangerous prey (ranger), or a mystic that reads prophecies from ancient plaques (divination wizard).

Sorry if this was not the answer you were looking for and you just want some optimised build. I just think it would be a shame if you force yourself into a role you don't want to play as.

JNAProductions
2019-11-10, 03:50 PM
Who cares about some +1 to a stat, why would you let that decide the class you're playing? Just play whichever class you want to play as! Play a lizardman dread knight (comquest pally), a hunter that stalks the most dangerous prey (ranger), or a mystic that reads prophecies from ancient plaques (divination wizard).

Sorry if this was not the answer you were looking for and you just want some optimised build. I just think it would be a shame if you force yourself into a role you don't want to play as.

Agreed on that, with the caveat that there's absolutely nothing wrong with building mechanics first and character second.

OP, you asking for thematic ideas, or powerful ideas?

Trandir
2019-11-10, 04:30 PM
Druid and Cleric both go well with the stat boosts.
You could get 10/14/15/10/16/10 with each, or 8/14/17/8/16/10 if you really want to min-max.
Both options have max AC possible with medium armor.
A cleric domain with heavy armor could do 15/10/15/10/16/8 or 15/8/17/8/16/8.
From there, just look at the guides people have posted online for Clerics and Druids.

Lastly if you want a niche build, you can make a grappling, shield using, fighter/paladin/barbarian that retains a d6 weapon in the form of their bite.
15/10/16/9/10/14 for paladin, 15/14/16/9/10/10 for barbarian, 15/10/16/10/14/10 for fighter. Take Tavern Brawler (+1 Str) at level 4 to get bonus action grappling.
Defensive fighting style because it's the only one that works for you (and isn't protection style).

As I thought the wis based classes are the best ones for this race.

Looking at thematics; Barbarian and Ranger make solid choices, and while Lizardfolk casters are rare, they are not unheard of, so Druid fits the theme rather well.

I'm always fond of the idea of a Lizardfolk Moon Druid 9 / (?) Barbarian 5; Wild Shape Giant Snapping Turtle (ToA p222) for a Raging 17 AC beast with 2x 4d6+6 Bite attacks (or x3 if Berserker with Frenzy).

That indeed sounds like a fun build.

I'm planning an eventual long death monk, black scales with white paint or scales around his eyes. THP from the bite to help tie over until he can kill something for THP from the subclass. Just really kinda like the imagery of this spooky black reptile that won't die as it kills with claws teeth tail and marital arts, makes slings/daggers /javelins from his victims

Ooooooh this one is rather intresting for a PC. You usually don't think of monk when you look at a lizardfolk

If you need a background written for the character - let me know (see my signature) :D

Worry not my good storyteller if I will ever need help for a backstory your massive thread will be the first place where I look for it.

No one. If I want to play a lizardfolk divine soul sorcerer I will do so even if that's highly suboptimal. That sayed it's always good to have a PC that can alsp pack a punch in combat other than be enjoiable to Rople play as.

Agreed on that, with the caveat that there's absolutely nothing wrong with building mechanics first and character second.

OP, you asking for thematic ideas, or powerful ideas?

Both I suppose.
Lizardfolks are one if not the most complex race to RP. And they aslo have a wide arrange of racial traits that coupd benefit a lot of classes.

I could see a lizardfolk fighter, druid, ranger or rogue but at the same way a barbarian that can't feel anger seems odd. That sayed if you back it up with a good BG everything makes sense and in 5e nearly anything is playable so there is that.

Scarytincan
2019-11-10, 07:30 PM
For the barbarian u could refluff the rage as going all primal killer instinct instead

GreyBlack
2019-11-10, 08:26 PM
Big fan of my Lizardfolk Tempest Cleric with the Sailor background. Calling down the storms and raising the drowned.