PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Brewing a dual-wield whip combo for my Aarakocra Ranger

Roi C.
2019-11-10, 07:33 AM
One of my players plays an Aarakocra Ranger (Hunter), and he has the Two-Weapon Fighting Style (in my game, it also means that he can use his 3rd attack as part of the attack action instead of using his bonus action). I brewed a really cool magical Shortsword & Sickle combo for him, but he had to take a break for a few months (life), so the Rogue ended up taking it. Now, I know that the player finds the whip as a very interesting weapon, and I'm trying to think of way I can make a two weapon combo that involves a magical whip (probably means giving it the light property, no biggie), not sure yet if I want it to come as part of a set with the 2nd weapon, or more of a "mix & match" thing, but I'm really having a hard time thinking of a proper idea. If you guys have any ideas, concepts and suggestions, I'd love to hear those.

CheddarChampion
2019-11-10, 11:00 AM
Perhaps a +1 Whip that has the light property and three charges:
When you hit an enemy with the whip, you can expend one charge to disarm the target (Str Save DC X to resist) or pull the target 5' closer to you (automatic success).
Maybe it deals 1d8 extra damage when a charge is spent?

Roi C.
2019-11-10, 02:43 PM
Perhaps a +1 Whip that has the light property and three charges:
When you hit an enemy with the whip, you can expend one charge to disarm the target (Str Save DC X to resist) or pull the target 5' closer to you (automatic success).
Maybe it deals 1d8 extra damage when a charge is spent?

That's a very good idea! I think I'll mess with it for a bit, but making it charge based is really a good idea. I think I'll fluff it as some enchanted jungle vine or something similar (the adventure is taking place in Chult).