PDA

View Full Version : Cunning Action & Aura spells (Spirit Guardians?)

Citadel97501
2019-11-10, 07:57 AM
Hello all, I was just wondering if I was missing anything but would an Undying Rogue running around with Spirit Guardians concentrated and a hide action as their main action be as disgusting as it seems off hand to me?

5th level Cleric & 3rd level Rogue: 3d6 blasts, and 3d8 in an aura?

OzDragon
2019-11-10, 08:15 AM
Hello all, I was just wondering if I was missing anything but would an Undying Rogue running around with Spirit Guardians concentrated and a hide action as their main action be as disgusting as it seems off hand to me?

5th level Cleric & 3rd level Rogue: 3d6 blasts, and 3d8 in an aura?

Given the nature of spirit guardians and the visual it produces I would not allow a rogue to hide with spirit guardians active. That said, a rogue going full defense and disengaging as their cunning action might be quite nasty!

CheddarChampion
2019-11-10, 10:55 AM
Compare it to a single class cleric, which can upcast SG, has 4th level spells, and can spare a spell slot or two for spiritual weapon.

Cleric/Rogue doesn't seem that powerful by comparison.

Citadel97501
2019-11-10, 07:05 PM
Compare it to a single class cleric, which can upcast SG, has 4th level spells, and can spare a spell slot or two for spiritual weapon.

Cleric/Rogue doesn't seem that powerful by comparison.

I don't mean offensively powerful, I meant annoying to deal with as hiding is likely the best defensive strategy in the game as most enemies simply can not target you.

GreyBlack
2019-11-10, 07:24 PM
Given the nature of spirit guardians and the visual it produces I would not allow a rogue to hide with spirit guardians active. That said, a rogue going full defense and disengaging as their cunning action might be quite nasty!

I would, with the caveat that, if they can't see their allies, their allies will be affected by the spell equally as their enemies if they do not have line of sight with their allies. The rogue can't be hiding in a box and designate their allies as safe.

Citadel97501
2019-11-10, 07:31 PM
I would, with the caveat that, if they can't see their allies, their allies will be affected by the spell equally as their enemies if they do not have line of sight with their allies. The rogue can't be hiding in a box and designate their allies as safe.

I like that note, as during an earlier game our Rogue & Ranger almost died due to their own stealth as they beat the Cleric to Initiative attacked and then went stealth, he then upcast SG. Since they were hiding he couldn't see them, and they got smashed by it and then fell down in the AOE due to a smart monter.