PDA

View Full Version : Sneak attack crit & house spell crit?

Whit
2019-11-10, 09:11 AM
Hi I have 2 questions.
1. Rogue sneak attack doubles all dice ? Yet if I use flame tongue sword wouldn’t that extra dice be considered magical and NOT doubled. Is that listed anywhere?

2. Anyone use or opinions on Spell attack crits
I don’t see any difference between weapons and spells rolling a crit. Why can’t a fire bolt or any spell attack roll hit crit on a 20?

DeTess
2019-11-10, 09:17 AM
Hi I have 2 questions.
1. Rogue sneak attack doubles all dice ? Yet if I use flame tongue sword wouldn’t that extra dice be considered magical and NOT doubled. Is that listed anywhere?

I don’t see any difference between weapons and spells rolling a crit. Why can’t a fire bolt or any spell attack roll hit crit on a 20?

What makes you think all of those aren't doubled? Spells with an attack roll can crit and will have their dice doubled. And The ciritical hit rules in the phb don't make an exception for dice from magical weapons either.

PhantomSoul
2019-11-10, 09:18 AM
Hi I have 2 questions.

For number 2, Spells already can roll a crit:

CRITICAL HITS

When you score a critical hit, you get to roll extra dice for the attack's damage against the target. Roll all of the attack's damage dice twice and add then together. Then add any relevant modifiers as normal.

(It's for attacks, not specifically weapon attacks.)

47Ace
2019-11-10, 09:36 AM
In 5e all dice are doubled but not modifyers you are remembering the 3.5/PF rules where modifyers were doubled but extra dice were not.

This works for sneak attack, flame toungs, smites etc.