PDA

View Full Version : Comics How Long Could Wolvie Have Lived?

Palanan
2019-11-10, 02:58 PM
I haven’t looked at an X-comic in quite a long time, but I have kept up with the movies, and in Logan they made it clear that Wolvie’s adamantium skeleton had been slowly killing him for many years.

I don’t know if that was ever in the comics, although I vaguely recall Magneto siphoning out the adamantium and Wolvie popping bone claws immediately afterwards. I assume the adamantium was repackaged one way or another.

But either way—given that Wolverine had lived for a couple centuries before the adamantium, has it ever been estimated how long he might have lived without it?

tomandtish
2019-11-10, 05:52 PM
The comic established back in the late 80s that Wolverine's healing factor is what keeps him alive. The adamantium keeps him from producing red blood cells properly, so without his healing factor he will eventually die.

How long would he live without it? hard to say. As he gets older his healing factor eventually does seem to weaken, so he would die sooner or later even without the metal. By the time of Logan he is biologically 253 years old (since thanks to Days of Future Past he lived the period from 1973 - 2023 twice).

So his death is rushed because of the metal but it would happen anyway. But 300 doesn't seem unreasonable.

Ramza00
2019-11-10, 08:16 PM
Your question is answered in HoXPoX. The recent relaunch of X-Men that happened 4 months to 1 month ago in a 12 comic event called House of X, Powers of 10 (the 10 uses the roman numeral X for it is X-Men.)

HoXPoX is good storytelling and also is a new status quo, completely changing everything in a big way such as House of M / "No More Mutants" / Decimation did in 2005.

Rater202
2019-11-10, 08:53 PM
Wolverine's cellular regeneration can keep him alive indefinitely as a part of his healing factor is that his cells can divide infinitely.

Even with the Adamantium, which is slowly poisoning him and interfering with his bones' metabolic functions(though he eventually adapted so it didn't), he can theoretically live forever as long as he isn't regularly being stressed to an extreme degree.

tyckspoon
2019-11-10, 10:43 PM
Even with the Adamantium, which is slowly poisoning him and interfering with his bones' metabolic functions(though he eventually adapted so it didn't), he can theoretically live forever as long as he isn't regularly being stressed to an extreme degree.

"Regularly stressed to an extreme degree" is a pretty succinct summary of Logan's life tho.

Palanan
2019-11-10, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ramza00
Your question is answered in HoXPoX.

And that answer is...?

Rater202
2019-11-11, 12:51 AM
"Regularly stressed to an extreme degree" is a pretty succinct summary of Logan's life tho.
Let me put it this way.

Old Man Logan was a timeline where Mutants weren't the next step in evolution after all and his healing factor is weaker than in the main timeline(something highlighted when Logan survived his world being destroyed and ended up in the main timeline) and he's mourning his being made to kill the other X-Men by Mysterio and half the continent is a nuclear hellhole and he lives in one of the Hellhole regions.

Logan noticeably aged in that timeline, but a normal person would have been aged to death by that stress in half the time and, while old, he doesn't look as old as he should for the number of time tha'ts passed since everything went to hell.

And that answer is...?

A version of him is shown still alive and seemingly unaged a thousand years in the future when he's apparently been regularly transfusing his blood into another mutant whose power is that she reincarnates as herself in anew timeline after she died so that she'd stay alive long enough to learn everything she needed to know about that bad future before going back to create a world where it never happened.

For context, the main 616 timeline is this mutant's tenth life.

Palanan
2019-11-11, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Rater202
A version of him is shown still alive and seemingly unaged a thousand years in the future….

Okay, thanks. That’s about as much as I could make sense of, but fortunately this answers my question. Or at least as much as it can be answered, given alternate worlds, possible futures, and so on.

GrayDeath
2019-11-11, 12:28 PM
I am in awe that something called HoXPoX (at least if you read it as letters, and especially if you do so in a German, Dutch or similar language) was seriously the name of a new Comic Set of Comics. ^^

But that aside, Marvels Continuity jumping is both a reason for some truly great comics and the overall reason for their Comics decline. Sigh, good old days when all you ahd as different Timelines was the Apocalypse future Cable came from....^^

Lemmy
2019-11-11, 01:08 PM
The answer is as inconsistent as anything else in Marvel Comics.

There are stories that set it at something around 250~300 years. Others claim he can live indefinitely.

So, basically... Whatever is most convenient for the writer.

Rater202
2019-11-11, 01:08 PM
I am in awe that something called HoXPoX (at least if you read it as letters, and especially if you do so in a German, Dutch or similar language) was seriously the name of a new Comic Set of Comics. ^^It's an acronym.

House of X and Powers of X(10)

House was about the establishment and early days of a mutant nation that Xavier set up because he's fed up with the constant genocides(Recognized by the UN, with every mutant in the world recognized as a citizen. He also somehow talked the US state's department into giving every citizen of the nation(all mutants) in US territory diplomatic immunity.)

Powers is about the ten lives of the reincarnating mutant.

But that aside, Marvels Continuity jumping is both a reason for some truly great comics and the overall reason for their Comics decline. Sigh, good old days when all you ahd as different Timelines was the Apocalypse future Cable came from....^^
There is no such timeline. Cable is native to earth 616. He was merely raised in a possible future.

The first alternate timeline was Days of Future Past, which is where Rachel summers comes from. Nathan Summers is originally from the main timeline.