PDA

View Full Version : TV Something Is Out There

Imbalance
2019-11-10, 04:36 PM
Does anybody remember this NBC movie+miniseries from the late '80's? It wasn't very good, so I don't blame you. As with most things, my memory is of little more than the alien monster, even though it was shown so sparingly since it was a lame network show. I kick around the Googles every once in a while for good pics of it, but there are only ever the same half dozen stills or silhouettes that are grainy at best. I had hoped that by now someone might have dredged old magazines about special effects or some retrospective might have uncovered this lost...gem and found the creature on a studio back lot somewhere, but no.

I remember it being a rather buggy looking thing, all spines and antennae. It was pretty big, but could either shapeshift or bodysnatch or something, as most of the time it was presented as having been in human disguise to hide and also harvest organs from unsuspecting victims. I guess it had a following, or mind-controlled slaves - seemed to have others work for it? It clearly had some sort of higher level psychic abilities. The supermodel alien lady that was hunting it said it could make you forget how to breathe, iirc.

Anyway, I was thinking about basing some homebrew on it, its specific appearance and abilities, but there is so little information about this show at all, save for an apparent DVD release over a decade ago. Even if i was interested in watching it again, it appears very difficult to find.

Does anybody have a reliable source for really obscure tv and movie monsters? What other unknown monstrosities haunt the dark recesses of your memory, yet evade your Internet searches?

Palanan
2019-11-12, 09:28 AM
To answer your initial question, no, I don't recall this at all.

I watched more TV than I should have in the 80s, including some truly awful items (Misfits of Science, anyone?) but no recollection of this one.

Imbalance
2019-11-12, 11:55 AM
Wow, I loved Misfits. I mean, yeah, it was bad, but pretty much the only reason I ever watched Friends was because I still had a crush on Gloria.

Saintheart
2019-11-14, 12:45 AM
Yeah, I remember this one. How could you forget Maryam ... can't provide her last name due to board filters ... in her stunning prime?

Really there are only two images from the show that I remember: one as the creature makes its initial escape from the prison ship. There's a shot of dozens of other inmates slowly crawling over one another as they gravitate to the giant cell the creature is in; the other is a love scene between the lead actress and Cortese (the male lead) in which it's heavily implied that the alien way of bumping uglies is to touch and caress each other's palms - strangely beautiful.

As to how to homebrew it, I think you'd really have to have it as two monsters and alternate between them: one as the big combat bruiser with some psionic abilities, the other being a sort of aranea that can bust out of its human form if need be.

Palanan
2019-11-14, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Saintheart
…is to touch and caress each other's palms - strangely beautiful.

Wait, wait, wait. I dimly remember something along those lines. At one point, doesn’t she tell the human guy that since he’s already seen her hands, it doesn’t matter what else he sees? Or something like that?

Isn’t there also a cheesy effects shot involving a brainworm or something? And kind of an emo shot with her in a car, hand pressed against the window in the rain?

Imbalance
2019-11-14, 04:19 PM
Sounds familiar, the escape scene is definitely what i remember. It was rerun on Sci-fi at some point, if that helps.

I like the aranea idea, with maybe some illithid stirred in. I mean, the campaign could probably copy the whole escape plus subsequent "man"hunt and final showdown without ever tipping off the players. There would be no risk of them discovering the plot - it's that obscure. I could give them some way of being able to force the thing to reveal itself when they think they're closing in on the investigation, like making it fey so that the Ranger has spidey-senses when it's near. I had started thinking about this months ago before I remembered this show, and now I'm bummed that it's not actually an original thought. Ah, memories...

Saintheart
2019-11-16, 09:46 PM
Looks like a rip also made its way to youtube... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvvVei00Weg)

Imbalance
2019-11-18, 08:30 AM
Looks like a rip also made its way to youtube... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvvVei00Weg)

Ooooh, that is low res. Might as well slog through it on my phone, probably skip all the cop stuff. Thanks for finding that.