PDA

View Full Version : Messengerbot

sengmeng
2019-11-11, 08:36 AM
I'm putting together a campaign with several warforged NPCs, all made by one eccentric wizard who jokingly named them Healbot, Toolbot, and Messengerbot. Messengerbot needs to be statted up still. He needs to do a few things well, and I'd like to stick to core other than being an envoy type warforged. Should be 7th level, though I'd be willing to go to 8th. I know NPCs can be handwaved to just have the stats they need, but he may get adopted as a PC eventually, so I'd like him to have a legitimate character sheet.

He needs social skills, investigation/tracking, infiltration, and escape/durability. He does not need combat utility. I was thinking probably bard, rogue, or a little of each, but I'd like to hear any other ideas on how he can perform his functions, even especially the whacky ones, as part of his backstory is that he was repurposed after not fitting his original role very well.

Talsin
2019-11-11, 09:39 AM
...Should be 7th level, though I'd be willing to go to 8th. I know NPCs can be handwaved to just have the stats they need, but he may get adopted as a PC eventually, so I'd like him to have a legitimate character sheet.

He needs social skills, investigation/tracking, infiltration, and escape/durability. He does not need combat utility. I was thinking probably bard, rogue, or a little of each, but I'd like to hear any other ideas on how he can perform his functions, even especially the whacky ones, as part of his backstory is that he was repurposed after not fitting his original role very well.

Instead of Envoy, why not go with Skirmisher for speed? Give them 5 levels of Barbarian to represent physical endurance training without strict technique (and the +10 move speed), then go rogue from there. Give them a Bow or crossbow to do primary combat function but let them secretly be decent in melee from barbarian using a short-sword or rapier while also being able to move faster than most normal characters.
Treat them as a courier having to do long-distance travel as fast as possible, hence messengerbot.

I don't known what kind of statblock power you're going for here, so here's a 27pt point-buy.
Start with Rogue for 2 levels, 5 levels barb, then rogue from there on.
This would be at level 1.
13/16/16/12/10/8
Subclasses I would suggest Scout for Rogue (gives expertise in Survival eventually) and Eagle totem for Barb to get you out of danger when you need (and perceive really far too...).

I suggest Rogue first for more skill proficiencies, while going Barb first will get you higher starting HP, but not much else.

You could also drop DEX or CON lower to push up mental stats for more buffs to the skills like Survival, Perception, or Animal Handling.

sengmeng
2019-11-11, 10:11 AM
Instead of Envoy, why not go with Skirmisher for speed? Give them 5 levels of Barbarian to represent physical endurance training without strict technique (and the +10 move speed), then go rogue from there. Give them a Bow or crossbow to do primary combat function but let them secretly be decent in melee from barbarian using a short-sword or rapier while also being able to move faster than most normal characters.
Treat them as a courier having to do long-distance travel as fast as possible, hence messengerbot.

I don't known what kind of statblock power you're going for here, so here's a 27pt point-buy.
Start with Rogue for 2 levels, 5 levels barb, then rogue from there on.
This would be at level 1.
13/16/16/12/10/8
Subclasses I would suggest Scout for Rogue (gives expertise in Survival eventually) and Eagle totem for Barb to get you out of danger when you need (and perceive really far too...).

I suggest Rogue first for more skill proficiencies, while going Barb first will get you higher starting HP, but not much else.

You could also drop DEX or CON lower to push up mental stats for more buffs to the skills like Survival, Perception, or Animal Handling.

Thanks! Definitely a whacky way of doing it:smalltongue:. Fits the criteria fairly well and yeah I was thinking speed would be good. Courier function is a plus, and it fits the background that he was originally meant for something else. I'll think about speed optimization, but maybe he'll want the assassin rogue's impostor ability as well. I like it, but anyone else should feel free to chime in as well.