PDA

View Full Version : Can you milk your familiar for poison?

Throne12
2019-11-11, 08:41 AM
If your a warlock and you have a imp familiar. Can you milk it for the poison it has as it sting/bite attack.

Keeganwilson
2019-11-11, 09:07 AM
I'd say no seeing as it's a spirit that takes on the form of a creature not the creature itself. And familiars can't attack.

nickl_2000
2019-11-11, 09:13 AM
Ask you DM. If you are the DM go with whatever seems the best to your group. I don't believe there is a solid RAW or RAI

Dork_Forge
2019-11-11, 10:29 AM
I'd say no seeing as it's a spirit that takes on the form of a creature not the creature itself. And familiars can't attack.

Pact of the Chain familairs (like the one OP mentions) can attack.

stoutstien
2019-11-11, 11:26 AM
If your a warlock and you have a imp familiar. Can you milk it for the poison it has as it sting/bite attack.

I don't see why not. It would take time, poisoner's kit, and maybe consumables to keep them stable over longer periods of time. May also run the risk of exposing your self to the poison. Seems ok to me

Yunru
2019-11-11, 11:37 AM

And the form includes the venom sacs.

HappyDaze
2019-11-11, 12:58 PM
My imp was always going invisible and milking its own poison... or at least that was the story he told.

jaappleton
2019-11-11, 12:59 PM
That what you wizards are calling it these days?

Milking your familiar?

Erys
2019-11-11, 01:15 PM
I allow it in my games, my DM does not allow it in his.

If allowed remember, its still a DC 20 Int (nature/poison kit) check to get one dose.

Throne12
2019-11-11, 01:16 PM
That what you wizards are calling it these days?

Milking your familiar?

I dont know about that cause I'm a warlock. Cant you tell by my imp familiar duh.

Willie the Duck
2019-11-11, 01:33 PM

You can, but then HR makes you watch a video about unacceptable requests and hostile work environments.

Porcupinata
2019-11-12, 04:56 AM
I would say that you can, using the standard crafting rules.

A vial of poison costs 100gp (phb150), and you need a Poisoner's Kit - and proficiency with it - to make poison (phb154).
Crafting takes you one day per 5gp value of the item you're making; and you need raw materials valued at half the price of the item you're making (phb187).

I would therefore rule that in order to process your familiar's natural venom into a useable poison (without such processing it won't keep and it won't be suitable for applying it to a weapon) it will take you 20 days to make a dose (100gp at 5gp per day) as per the normal rules.

However, since you have a free source of raw materials (your familiar), you wouldn't have to spend 50gp on materials - providing you have the proficiency, tools, and time, you can make it for free.

JackPhoenix
2019-11-12, 07:00 AM
I would say that you can, using the standard crafting rules.

A vial of poison costs 100gp (phb150), and you need a Poisoner's Kit - and proficiency with it - to make poison (phb154).
Crafting takes you one day per 5gp value of the item you're making; and you need raw materials valued at half the price of the item you're making (phb187).

I would therefore rule that in order to process your familiar's natural venom into a useable poison (without such processing it won't keep and it won't be suitable for applying it to a weapon) it will take you 20 days to make a dose (100gp at 5gp per day) as per the normal rules.

However, since you have a free source of raw materials (your familiar), you wouldn't have to spend 50gp on materials - providing you have the proficiency, tools, and time, you can make it for free.

Or you could make DC 20 Int (nature or poisoner's kit proficiency) check to extract a dose of poison in 1d6 minutes, risking being poisoned yourself if you fail the check by 5 or more, as per DMG p. 258. Though you'll have to figure how to keep the familiar incapacitated (dead doesn't work with familiars) for the duration.

Theaitetos
2019-11-12, 09:08 AM
Though you'll have to figure how to keep the familiar incapacitated (dead doesn't work with familiars) for the duration.

You order it to sleep. :smallamused:

Reevh
2019-11-12, 09:44 AM
You can if your DM says you can.

Composer99
2019-11-12, 09:45 AM
... yeswhy?

More seriously, I don't see why not. In order to get a dose you can process into a form usable on weapons, you'd probably exhaust its reserves for the day, though.

But that's how I would rule it as DM. YMMV.

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-12, 10:40 AM
I allow it in my games, my DM does not allow it in his. If allowed remember, its still a DC 20 Int (nature/poison kit) check to get one dose. Good point.

You can, but then HR makes you watch a video about unacceptable requests and hostile work environments. Hehe.
As I posted here (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/71201/22566) ... the familiar may or may not be able to provide the poison. DM ruling, and as a DM I'd rule favorably.

Warlush
2019-11-12, 11:53 AM
Lol, my 1st DM let my imp use it's action to coat the blade of my dagger with it's own poison. Every round. And honestly, by level 5 my Eldritch Blast was still so much better. Shenanigans are fun. Just let them happen.

Evil DM Mark3
2019-11-12, 11:57 AM
You know, I though this thread was going to be some crazy lactose fulled nonsense when I clicked on it. Turns out the forum had cut the last 2 words off the thread title.

Somewhat disappointed. But not much.

Willie the Duck
2019-11-12, 01:08 PM
You know, I though this thread was going to be some crazy lactose fulled nonsense when I clicked on it. Turns out the forum had cut the last 2 words off the thread title.

Somewhat disappointed. But not much.

Given the mammals on the familiar list, that leaves us with some rather odd choices.

Homer: Rat milk (https://imgur.com/gallery/NAljO51)?!

Quimby (to Fat Tony): You promised me dog or higher!