PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Most brokenly powerful lv11 PC possible?

jaappleton
2019-11-11, 12:31 PM
So, in my Curse of Strahd game, **** hit the fan.

My Barbarian got cornered by Strahd, who managed to separate me from the party, Strahd proceeded to use Animate Objects on me and absolutely shred me, even after my resistances, and has then charmed me. That's the nitty gritty of it.

My Barbarian is unlikely to make it, barring a miracle.

Now... I love my Barbarian. I do. I want him to make it. Its a PC I've played across various campaigns, and I'm incredibly proud that he'd never even been KO'd.

But I must prepare for the worst, it seems.

So.... as someone who would absolutely be seeking vengeance on the situation, as someone that's absolutely willing to show up with the biggest middle finger possible to Strahd and everything he represents:

What can we make?

All Unearthed Arcana available
All books available
Racial restrictions on feats removed
Free bonus feat at lv1

Cikomyr
2019-11-11, 12:37 PM
Well, there's the Sorcerer King I saw posted a few times...

:smallsarcasm:

Seriously tho, War Cleric maybe? Or a moon circle druid, since you start with elemental wild shape

Keravath
2019-11-11, 12:52 PM
Paladin? PAM+duelling+spear+shield+IDS ... but you need to be able to get within melee range.

Sorlock? Level 9 sorcerer/ level 2 hexblade ... agonizing blast + quickened agonizing blast at level 11 can be pretty nasty.

Mystic? I've heard that these are badly broken but have no knowledge of them personally.

Cross bow expert + Sharpshooter build? You would need a magic weapon though ... good at range and can used a ranged weapon in melee.

PAM+GWM warlock? Level 11 is a good place for a pure warlock - but melee gets better at 12 with lifedrinker. Hexblade, blade pact. Has agonizing blast as a fall back for ranged attacks.

Dakael27
2019-11-11, 01:09 PM
If you want to shred him like he shredded you my suggestion is either sharpshooter crossbow expert build or a DW Paladin/Fighter for a bloody round of action surged smites.

I'd lean to the crossbow expert if your DM is nice like me and lets your cleric bless your bolts with holy water.

Expected
2019-11-11, 01:13 PM
At level 11, I would build a Variant Human Battle Master Fighter with these scores and feats, assuming point buy:

Str-Dex-Con-Int-Wis-Cha
16-12-16-8-14-8 (tel:16-12-16-8-14-8)
Resilient: Wisdom lv 1, Polearm Master Lv 1, Great Weapon Master lv 4, +2 Str lv 6 and 8 if Gauntlets of Ogre Power/Belt of Giant Strength are unavailable, otherwise Sentinel and Tough/+2 Con.
Glaive/Halberd+Longbow
Heavy Armor (Chainmail -> Plate)

+3 Modifiers to both Str and Con and an uneven Wis for Resilient: Wisdom and proficiency (which will help immensely against charm and Hold Person/Monster). 20 Str for +5 to hit+proficiency and +5 to damage on 3 attacks+BA attack. Trip Attack+Precision Attack for generating advantage and for +5 to hit on GWM attacks. High HP to help against Power Word: Kill. Indomitable allows rerolls on saving throws (the +2 Wis+proficiency will allow higher chances for success). Can use longbow to attack at range with +1 to hit+proficiency and +1 to damage and the +1 Dex modifier helps against damaging spells (compared to dumping Dex).

I agree with Keravath, however, that a PAM+GWM Warlock is very powerful at level 11--it's just a shame you wouldn't have Lifedrinker.

I'd lean to the crossbow expert if your DM is nice like me and lets your cleric bless your bolts with holy water.
I could be mistaken, but ammunition fired from a silvered or magical weapon count as magical for overcoming resistance to non-magical attacks. You can silver your weapons for 100gp each or a specified number of ammunition instead for the same price, assuming you have the funds and can find a blacksmith.

I do agree that a Sharpshooter+CBX BM Fighter build with a Hand Crossbow and light armor will meet your expectations and compare to a melee BM Fighter, Bladelock, and Paladin.

nickl_2000
2019-11-11, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty sure nothing says FU to a Vampire like a Devotion Paladin
No Charm, No Frightened, +5 Cha to saves, extra damage to Smites.

Scourge Aasimar for resistance to necrotic damage and extra radiant.
Yuan Ti Pureblood for their silly power and magical resistance

Expected
2019-11-11, 01:25 PM

Scourge Aasimar for resistance to necrotic damage and extra radiant.
Yuan Ti Pureblood for their silly power and magical resistance

It certainly is poetic--If I were OP, I'd go with this for maximum thematic revenge.

8wGremlin
2019-11-11, 01:35 PM
I played a Sorlock? Level 9 sorcerer/ level 2 hexblade

The Sorcerer side was a Divine Soul, picked up Spirit Guardians - which was phenomenal vs vampires, especially Strad.
With bonus action spiritual weapon it's also potent.
and blast with 3 eldritch blasts

Your doing great.

AgenderArcee
2019-11-11, 01:38 PM
What's your party composition? If you were filling a tank/melee role before with barbarian, then that could be another reason to go paladin. Dipping fighter for an extra fighting style and action surge sounds nice, but it would be a shame to have to wait for Improved Divine Smite. Sorcadin could be another option.

ResidentEvening
2019-11-11, 02:29 PM
So level 11 is perfect for this:
Variant Human
8 / 18 / 14 / 10 / 16 / 8
Feat: sharpshooter & lucky
Ranger Gloomstalker 5
Rogue Assassin 3
Fighter 2 (archery +2 to attack)
Forge Cleric 1

Forge cleric for the +1 magic bow (so that you hit for full dmg vs Stradh)
Gloomstalker ensures you go first in the initiative order & gives you 3 attacks.
Assassin grants you advantage on the first turn (for all attacks)
Fighter's action surge now gives you 6 attacks

Apply Hunter's Mark to Strahd
You are at +11 (4 + 4 + 2 + 1) to hit (vs Strahd's 16AC) - with advantage & lucky you *should* hit all 6 shots with Sharpshooter

so that's 6x(1d8 + 1d6 + 15) + 1d8 (dread ambusher) + 2d6 (sneak attack) = 157dmg average (assume d8 = 5 and d6 = 4) ... dropping average Stradh in one go.

Bonus points if you use pass without trace for a surprise round where all 6 attacks are a Crit....

EDIT: revised ranger adds +12 damage to the total

Biggstick
2019-11-11, 02:35 PM

It certainly is poetic--If I were OP, I'd go with this for maximum thematic revenge.

Oath of Devotion Paladin would be one of the best choices to make when going against Strahd. Having a massive bonus to saving throws and charm immunity for self and allies within 10', as well as the ability to turn your weapon and an ally's weapon into magical ones can work wonders (Channel Divinity for self and the spell Magic Weapon for an ally). As bonus points, you have Sanctuary to help protect allies that are out of melee reach.

I'd suggest basic Sword and Board, picking up the Defensive Fighting Style. 16 Strength is all you need; having a higher Charisma provides a bonus to not only your saving throws but your Channel Divinity Sacred Weapon attack bonus. If for some reason you need to do more damage, you have Divine Smite.

It's not the flashiest build path, but it'll work wonders in CoS.

sithlordnergal
2019-11-11, 02:42 PM
If I may make a suggestion? Vengeance Paladin 6 / Divine Soul Sorcerer 5 sounds like it would make for a fine counter to Strahd. If possible, I'd go:

Yuan-ti

Str: 15

Dex: 8

Con: 14

Int: 9

Wis: 12

cha: 16

Free Feat: Heavy Armor Master to boost Strength to 16

First ASI: War Mage

Second ASI: 18 cha

For spells I recommend:

Firebolt
Chill touch
Booming Blade
Light

Shield
Guiding Bolt
Healing Word

Misty Step

Fireball
Spirit Guardians

EDIT: I forgot, you need Booming Blade. That way you can make bonus action attacks with Quicken Spell.

EDIT: I also failed to notice you get a free feat. As such I re-arranged some of the stat distribution to make room for the War Caster feat, which is really important for a Paladin/Sorcerer

CheddarChampion
2019-11-11, 04:10 PM
Str: 14

Dex: 10

Con: 14

Int: 9

Wis: 12

cha: 16

Why not 15/8/15/9/8/17 to start, +1 Str and +1 Cha, and then +2 Cha, with resilient: constitution as the starting feat?
Better saves (except wisdom), better spell attack bonus and save DC, but initiative -1.

sithlordnergal
2019-11-11, 04:19 PM
Why not 15/8/15/9/8/17 to start, +1 Str and +1 Cha, and then +2 Cha, with resilient: constitution as the starting feat?
Better saves (except wisdom), better spell attack bonus and save DC, but initiative -1.

Mostly because I missed that you got a free feat at level 1, and there's really no point in having an odd ability score. There's no real difference between a 16 and 17 Charisma. That said, since they are given a free feat, I can modify things a bit

Nhorianscum
2019-11-11, 05:11 PM
Paladin, 6/5 sorcadin, or pretty much any fullcaster (Optional 1-2 level cleric/hexblade dip)

Or just EK/AT.

Level 11 is a sweet spot for so many characters.

jaappleton
2019-11-11, 05:56 PM
Note to everybody:

There’s no magic weapons left available. I can get a SILVERED Weapon, via the party Forge Cleric, but if I want a *magic* one then I need to create it in the build itself (Forge 1, or Devotion Channel Divinity, a spell, etc)

Kane0
2019-11-11, 06:00 PM
Do you want to replace your Barb or be something completely different?

jaappleton
2019-11-11, 06:18 PM
What's your party composition? If you were filling a tank/melee role before with barbarian, then that could be another reason to go paladin. Dipping fighter for an extra fighting style and action surge sounds nice, but it would be a shame to have to wait for Improved Divine Smite. Sorcadin could be another option.

Warforged Forge Cleric
Orc War Cleric
Warforged Devotion Paladin
Kenku Assassin Rogue
Veldakin Divination Wizard

jaappleton
2019-11-11, 06:21 PM
Do you want to replace your Barb or be something completely different?

I want Strahd to fear *me*
I want vengeance
I want the night
I WANT BATMAN

But really, I want to be the most over the top, squeezing blood from a stone kind of damage dealer

And that doesn’t have to be weapon damage; I’m OK with working with the party Wizard to cast Dawn and trap Strahd under a Wall of Force and watch that bastard burn until he’s extra crispy.

But weapon damage is typically easier to do and is less depending on party synergy.

Kane0
2019-11-11, 06:28 PM
For humiliation I'd build something around Chill Touch, maybe an EK?

sithlordnergal
2019-11-11, 06:40 PM
I want vengeance
I want the night
I WANT BATMAN

But really, I want to be the most over the top, squeezing blood from a stone kind of damage dealer

And that doesn’t have to be weapon damage; I’m OK with working with the party Wizard to cast Dawn and trap Strahd under a Wall of Force and watch that bastard burn until he’s extra crispy.

But weapon damage is typically easier to do and is less depending on party synergy.

Go the Vengeance Paladin/Divine Soul that I posted then. X3 Yuan-Ti, Paladin auras, Advantage on all your saves vs. Magic, it'll be great

Nhorianscum
2019-11-11, 06:41 PM
It's not the "most" damage possible but may I introduce you to our lord and savior quickened double sunbeam?

Season to taste with 5th level MM/Sray spam on turn 2 onward.

Damage is like 12d8+6d8+20+10d6+6d8+20+10d6+20

That's a crisp 260 damage over 3 turns with empowered spell metamagic 270 if draconic. This seems up your ally.

Kane0
2019-11-11, 06:42 PM
It's not the "most" damage possible but may I introduce you to our lord and savior quickened sunbeam?

How about Orbital Death Lazer Moonbeam?

Nhorianscum
2019-11-11, 06:48 PM
How about Orbital Death Lazer Moonbeam?

Kamehame naaaaaah

jaappleton
2019-11-11, 06:54 PM
It's not the "most" damage possible but may I introduce you to our lord and savior quickened double sunbeam?

Season to taste with 5th level MM/Sray spam on turn 2 onward.

Damage is like 12d8+6d8+20+10d6+6d8+20+10d6+20

That's a crisp 260 damage over 3 turns with empowered spell metamagic 270 if draconic. This seems up your ally.

Not quite following.

Believe you’re suggesting Sorcerer, quickening Sunbeam in turn 1 and then using your action that same turn to blast it again.

Thats 8d6 per blast, or 27 on average. So the initial turn is 54.

MM? Not following that. Can you elaborate?

Kane0
2019-11-11, 07:06 PM
Twilight Druid with Harvest's Scythe on a hair trigger. You also get Necrotic resistance.

The latest Artificer, pretty much any subclass especially if you can mass build wands for the villagers or whatever.

Zealot Barbarian (probably a bit too on-the-nose)

Rune Knight using one of the new UA fighting styles, bonus points if your extra feat is for martial adept.

...Mystic...

Damon_Tor
2019-11-11, 07:18 PM
I want vengeance
I want the night
I WANT BATMAN

Hard to go wrong with Gloom Stalker 9/Fighter 2. Great weapon damage potential, and the Gloom Stalker ability to foil darkvision will make you permanently invisible to Strahd as long as he's attempting to engage at night, so he's in a catch 22: you've made his greatest strength your own. It's time for HIM to fear the shadows. Rangers can get Magic Weapon as a class spell as per the new Class Features UA, or you could enchant your arrows with Flame Arrows instead. Two levels in fighter gets you Action Surge and the Superior Technique fighting style (snipe), so your first round can be seven attacks. With a heavy crossbow and sharpshooter that's 7d10+8d6+105 (avg 171.5) damage. It just so happens Strahd has 171 hitpoints, funny how it works out that you can do exactly that much damage in a round. And you probably attack with advantage because you do nighttime better than Strahd.

MrStabby
2019-11-11, 07:44 PM
Loremaster wizard 11.

Should do the trick.

Failing that mystic... but some multiclassing is more fun to consider.

So you want something abusive? A focus on damage? No holds barred cheese with all UA available?

Well I don't know about all that but you could consider a kind of psychic warrior using the mystic:
Soul knife hone the blade could bypass your magic item shortage
wu jen spells can get you shield, misty step, counterspell and a number of good other spells that let you keep your actions free to exact a painful revenge on Strahd.

Brute force discipline for shoving and grappling adds a bit of control to a very physical character
Ogre form for bigness, extra damage and temp hp augments this
Inertial armour helps you tank... probably better than anyone else in the party

Add some disciplines for out of combat tools, skills, telepathy or mobility as needed.

The question seems to be, how much to add and to what? I think that 5 levels of a martial class for extra attack is needed as are 5 levels of mystic to get enough power to fuel your revenge.

Top of the list is then probably revised ranger 6, wu jen mystic 5. Spell slots from the ranger back up the mystic spellcasting and fuel endless shields and so on. With mystic mobility you can kite well as an archer. Favoured enemy of undead... eeks. That will help cut Strahd down a bit just as a passive bonus. Throw in the advantage on saves and abilities from undead and you should have a pretty good time. Throw in the gloomstalker package and with some willingness to burn psi points you will do some obscene damage to open combat.

Do you want your group to play with you again after this game?

ResidentEvening
2019-11-11, 07:49 PM
I want vengeance
I want the night
I WANT BATMAN

This is inspired by a reddit post I read a while back...

Do you know what isn't a saving throw our favorite vampire gets a legendary resistance for? an ability check! Do you know what uses an ability check contest? a grapple/shove combo :)

If humiliation is what you're after, a bardbarian (Bard 5 /Barbarian 6) is what you want.

A double proficiency in athletics (+8), 20 strength (+5), cutting words die (-1d8 in a check), and advantage on all str skill checks when raging and Strahd's measly +4 means that you cannot fail, and he cannot get free of your grapple. EVER. Imagine, both of you enjoying a nice dawn together... (you will need a sunlight spell up to stop him changing into a mist, but how hard can that be with 2 clerics and a wizzard in the party?

But that's not it. As a barbarian, if you choose a bear totem, your carrying capacity goes through the roof... so much to say, you could easily lift an old vampire right?

Now, take an extract from phb: 'An improvised weapon includes any object you can wield in one or two hands, such as broken glass, a table leg, a frying pan, a wagon wheel, or a dead goblin.'

You know what is a bit like a dead goblin? An undead lord of dread. You can literally use Strahd as a weapon. You can take tavern brawler, and become proficient in 'Strahd'. All this ofc isn't technically RAW but if your DM won't allow you to kill Rahadin using Strahd as a club, i say your DM needs to watch more WWE.

Kane0
2019-11-11, 07:51 PM
Top of the list is then probably revised ranger 6, wu jen mystic 5. Spell slots from the ranger back up the mystic spellcasting and fuel endless shields and so on. With mystic mobility you can kite well as an archer. Favoured enemy of undead... eeks. That will help cut Strahd down a bit just as a passive bonus. Throw in the advantage on saves and abilities from undead and you should have a pretty good time. Throw in the gloomstalker package and with some willingness to burn psi points you will do some obscene damage to open combat.

Plus use the new UA to trade in natural explorer and primeval awareness, and a cool style if you don't want archery.

MrStabby
2019-11-11, 07:58 PM
Plus use the new UA to trade in natural explorer and primeval awareness, and a cool style if you don't want archery.

Well yes... if you want to turn it up to 11. Which of course we do.

jaappleton
2019-11-11, 08:10 PM
Well yes... if you want to turn it up to 11. Which of course we do.

I want to turn this up to one hundred and eleven.

I want the DM to have a migraine trying to get out of whatever the heck we manage to come up with as a way to straight up murderface Strahd.

Now, remember: I’ve got to be able to *get* to Strahd, too. Strahd attacked Vallaki and assuming I need this new PC, we’re going to have to get through Castle Ravenloft.

8wGremlin
2019-11-11, 08:59 PM
I want to turn this up to one hundred and eleven.

I want the DM to have a migraine trying to get out of whatever the heck we manage to come up with as a way to straight up murderface Strahd.

Now, remember: I’ve got to be able to *get* to Strahd, too. Strahd attacked Vallaki and assuming I need this new PC, we’re going to have to get through Castle Ravenloft.

Spirit guardians is your friend, you can destroy encounters in castle ravenloft with that spell. just make sure you keep it up.
Now it's available on the following classes: Cleric, Sorcerer (divine soul) and Paladin, as well as any class that has access to the Orzhov guild background, and has 3rd level spells.

Different approach: as your allowed UA, etc.

Perhaps an Orzhov Moon Druid, that turns in to an Air Elemental, or Fire elemental with Spirit Guardians running.
You have:

90ft fly speed,
Damage Resistances to Lightning, Thunder; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing from Nonmagical Attacks,
Damage Immunities to Poison,
Condition Immunities to Exhaustion, Grappled, Paralyzed, Petrified, Poisoned, Prone, Restrained, Unconscious.

Pick a Human (Mark of Finding) - this gives you some cool tracking abilities. When your quarry is within 60 feet of you, you have a sense of its location: it can't be hidden from you, gains no benefit from invisibility, and your attacks against it ignore half cover. As well as some bonuses to perception and survival. oh and you get darkvison as well.

You now have Dawn, and Protection from Good and Evil (the New Unearthed Arcana) death ward (from Orzhov) can also mean that you don't lose your wildshape form when you get reduced to 0hp, you stay at 1hp.

Taking feats: such as Mobile and Observant, can make you both an excellent radar (passive perception 23 or so) as well as a nightmare in combat.

CTurbo
2019-11-11, 09:11 PM
As mentioned above, Devotion Paladin really is gonna be the "most powerful" option as it truly is the ultimate Vampire slayer. Aasimar would be an obvious choice, although Yuan-Ti or Kalashtar would be interesting. Lucky is a fun free feat, but PAM or HAM would be good too. I'd just go full Paladin 11 but 2 levels of Fighter, Warlock, or Sorcerer all have advantages.

The other best choice and most obvious meta gaming character would be a Revised Gloom Stalker Ranger with Undead as Favored Enemy. With this you could throw in some War or Forge Cleric levels for Magic Weapon and other Cleric goodies.

Nhorianscum
2019-11-12, 12:25 AM
Not quite following.

Believe you’re suggesting Sorcerer, quickening Sunbeam in turn 1 and then using your action that same turn to blast it again.

Thats 8d6 per blast, or 27 on average. So the initial turn is 54.

MM? Not following that. Can you elaborate?

6d8*

54+20 = 74 because sunbeam, unlike most sunlight spells, makes a lot of explicit sunlight.

Then go ahead and empower that and turn 1 (our weakest round tbh) slams in for a solid 81 damage. The following rounds hit harder because quicken+upcast+empower just melts things.

With the more realistic assumption that Strad burns his legendary resists on both sunbeams (he saves at disadvantage because vampire) we're dropping 50.5ish damage R1.

-------

The main draw here is spamming the blind effect of beam to burn off his save-or-suck protection.

jaappleton
2019-11-12, 07:32 AM
6d8*

54+20 = 74 because sunbeam, unlike most sunlight spells, makes a lot of explicit sunlight.

Then go ahead and empower that and turn 1 (our weakest round tbh) slams in for a solid 81 damage. The following rounds hit harder because quicken+upcast+empower just melts things.

With the more realistic assumption that Strad burns his legendary resists on both sunbeams (he saves at disadvantage because vampire) we're dropping 50.5ish damage R1.

-------

The main draw here is spamming the blind effect of beam to burn off his save-or-suck protection.

Well he'd take the Sunlight damage regardless from the Devotion Paladin that's wielding the Sunsword, or from one of the Clerics wielding the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind.

It wouldn't be an extra 20 from the Sunbeam, unfortunately.

EDIT: I think there's something to be said for a Water Elemental. I can stop in Strahd's space, and he takes 20 acid damage from running water. Surely a Water Elemental qualifies, right? That's 40 automatic damage between that and Sunlight.

MrStabby
2019-11-12, 08:35 AM
Well he'd take the Sunlight damage regardless from the Devotion Paladin that's wielding the Sunsword, or from one of the Clerics wielding the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind.

It wouldn't be an extra 20 from the Sunbeam, unfortunately.

EDIT: I think there's something to be said for a Water Elemental. I can stop in Strahd's space, and he takes 20 acid damage from running water. Surely a Water Elemental qualifies, right? That's 40 automatic damage between that and Sunlight.

I am not sure it counts as running water if you stop in his space. Thats more standing water.

jaappleton
2019-11-12, 08:39 AM
...would I be willing to make a Tempest Theurge?

Yes. Yes, I would.

Nhorianscum
2019-11-12, 09:34 AM
I am not sure it counts as running water if you stop in his space. Thats more standing water.

Maelstrom and tidal wave are a bit less ambiguous(?).

-------

That said in terms of sunlight damage the more the better as Strad is quite mobile.

(210 without counting sunlight over 3 rounds still ain't bad for a stock standard character.)

ChiefBigFeather
2019-11-12, 09:55 AM
I want vengeance
I want the night
I WANT BATMAN

Well, if you want to be Batman, you got to play wizard: The Batman Wizard. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?104002-3-5e-The-Logic-Ninja-s-Guide-to-Wizards-Being-Batman)

If you want to do melee damage, Paladin or Sorcadin is probably really good because smites do radiant damage. They mostly shine if you get lots of long rests though. Sorcerer/Hexblade is also pretty powerful (more so if it weren't for the damage type).

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-12, 10:30 AM
If your core desire is revenge against Strahd, then consider a radiant damage focused build like

11th level Sun Soul Monk.
Wood Elf, vHuman, Ghostwise Halfling, Half Elf ... pick one
Why?

Your ability to do radiant damage
Your ability to stun lock Strahd
Your ability to get to him.

You can throw radiant at him and/or you can slap him silly.
When he turns into gaseous form you can keep throwing radiant damage at him.

That's a cool thing about Monks: that stun lock thing with multiple attacks are great for taking down single enemies.
Your good Wisdom Save is handy versus various mind controlling effects by Vampire-Strahd.

Blood of Gaea
2019-11-12, 10:47 AM
With the UA, I'd probably just go full Devotion Paladin.

You make your own magical weapon with +Cha to hit.

You have improved smite, and can smite for additional damage.

You and your allies get +Cha to saves and are Immune to Charm.

I'd also take Aasimar for the extra heal and that tasty necrotic resistance.

Using UA, you also have Spirit Guardians.

Teaguethebean
2019-11-12, 10:55 AM
I want vengeance
I want the night
I WANT BATMAN

I’m OK with working with the party Wizard to cast Dawn and trap Strahd under a Wall of Force and watch that bastard burn until he’s extra crispy.

I must say credit to your DM he has really made you hate the villain with a passion.

jaappleton
2019-11-12, 11:06 AM
I must say credit to your DM he has really made you hate the villain with a passion.

My DM is great. Love my DM.

My issue isn't even necessarily with Strahd.

Its that Strahd might be the one to finally take out my beloved Barbarian boy. Nothing has even KO'd Grom the Barbarian before, he's never dipped below 0HP in the three campaigns I've played him in over the years.

Whatever creature is capable of that? That creature must be obliterated from the multiverse. Should a kobold someone take out Grom, then I'd make it my mission to obliterate all of Dragonkind, including Tiamat AND Bahamut! If it was a purple worm that kills Grom, I'd want vengeance against the worm. If Grom died from falling damage after failing an athletics check to jump across a chasm, I'd make a bridge builder for my next PC.

If it was the Lady of Pain that killed Grom..... Well, even I'm not that stupid. >_>

Point is, I want to build something so powerful Strahd will 100% regret ever killing my Barbarian.

tieren
2019-11-12, 11:13 AM
If your core desire is revenge against Strahd, then consider a radiant damage focused build like

11th level Sun Soul Monk.
Wood Elf, vHuman, Ghostwise Halfling, Half Elf ... pick one
Why?

Your ability to do radiant damage
Your ability to stun lock Strahd
Your ability to get to him.

You can throw radiant at him and/or you can slap him silly.
When he turns into gaseous form you can keep throwing radiant damage at him.

That's a cool thing about Monks: that stun lock thing with multiple attacks are great for taking down single enemies.
Your good Wisdom Save is handy versus various mind controlling effects by Vampire-Strahd.

This is what I was going to suggest., though I would go tabaxi for hyperspeed shenanigans [monk 11 unarmored sped would be 50, doubled to 100 with feline agility, allowing you to dash with your action for another 100 and then use step of the wind to dash again with your bonus action for another 100' (total of 300' of movement, including across liquids or up vertical surfaces)]. Chasing Strahd right up a wall and trying to stunlock him or at least eat his legendary resistances would be real useful. Tossing ranged radiant punches would be useful against any vampire.

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-12, 11:23 AM
This is what I was going to suggest., though I would go tabaxi for hyperspeed shenanigans Not a bad plan. I like your thinking on this. :smallsmile:

Warlush
2019-11-12, 11:28 AM
So, in my Curse of Strahd game, **** hit the fan.

My Barbarian got cornered by Strahd, who managed to separate me from the party, Strahd proceeded to use Animate Objects on me and absolutely shred me, even after my resistances, and has then charmed me. That's the nitty gritty of it.

My Barbarian is unlikely to make it, barring a miracle.

Now... I love my Barbarian. I do. I want him to make it. Its a PC I've played across various campaigns, and I'm incredibly proud that he'd never even been KO'd.

But I must prepare for the worst, it seems.

So.... as someone who would absolutely be seeking vengeance on the situation, as someone that's absolutely willing to show up with the biggest middle finger possible to Strahd and everything he represents:

What can we make?

All Unearthed Arcana available
All books available
Racial restrictions on feats removed
Free bonus feat at lv1

I mean, a straight Oath of Devo Paladins are sort of designed for this. And with an extra feat you and go Vhuman and get PAM and GWM at Lvl1 so your CHA and STR could be at 18 at lvl 11.

Also the Revised Ranger is pretty good.

I think the most over looked option woul be the Sun Soul monk. Tons of radiant damage! DEX based Radiant Damage!!! Maybe think about feats like Mobile or Tough. Elven accuracy is great for this build and elves have advantage on saves agaist charm. Mix in 4 levels of revised ranger for hunter's mark, more WIS mod damage, and hunter or gloom stalker goodies. Equalize that undead m*****f*****.

Foxydono
2019-11-12, 01:39 PM
I see good ideas but nothing broken. Let me give it a shot :
Race warforged or Yuan Ti (more armor or advantage on saving throws).

If warforged start warlock so you get prof bonus armor. If Yuan Ti, start sorcerer for con saves.

Build:
Warlock 2 (Undying UA)
Wizard 6 (Lore wizard UA)
Sorcerer 3 (Phoenix UA)

Bonus feat elemental adept (fire)
Warlock invocations (Agonizing Blast + Devil Sight)
Metamagic (quickened and subtle)

Stats: dump Strength and Intelligence and get 18 Charisma, 14 Constitution and 14 Dexterity.

Before you battle Stradth, convert spell slot for extra sorcery points. Strategy, upcast magic missle, quicken (EB), change to fire damage, spend spell slots to boost every bolt with 2d10 dmg and profit from +8 on all fire spells. If he uses shield, subtle counterspell. Or counterspell his counterspell if he has it. Reroll dmg dies.

Stradth will die in one or two turns maximum. You can also go wizard 8 and sorcerer 1 for 20 Charisma. If you run out of spell slots, you can Eldrich blast with 3x Charisma modifier on each blast.

Good luck with the battle :)

masterjoda99
2019-11-12, 01:54 PM
...would I be willing to make a Tempest Theurge?

Yes. Yes, I would.

I am interested in what this "Tempest Theurge" is and would like to know more.

jaappleton
2019-11-12, 02:00 PM
I am interested in what this "Tempest Theurge" is and would like to know more.

Sit down, take your coat off.

Let me tell you a story.

A story about Unearthed Arcana, and some brokenly overpowered bull**** that stepped all over the toes of the Cleric class.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

Theurge, in D&D, was a blend of Arcane and Divine casting. In 5th Edition, they tried an Unearthed Arcana where they squeezed it into the Wizard as a subclass. However, because Cleric capstones are at level 17 and Wizards are at 14, this enabled Wizards to get Cleric capstones at 14th level.

You can see why Clerics would be upset.

Even worse, the Theurge Wizards got Cleric Domain abilities.

So a Theurge Tempest gets to maximize lightning or thunder damage. Problem is, Wizards get lightning and thunder spells that Tempest Clerics do not.

Like Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning. Maximized, no damage rolling.

See the problem with this?

Well, normally its a problem... In my scenario, it isn't a bug, its a feature.

Keravath
2019-11-12, 02:10 PM
I see good ideas but nothing broken. Let me give it a shot :
Race warforged or Yuan Ti (more armor or advantage on saving throws).

If warforged start warlock so you get prof bonus armor. If Yuan Ti, start sorcerer for con saves.

Build:
Warlock 2 (Undying UA)
Wizard 6 (Lore wizard UA)
Sorcerer 3 (Phoenix UA)

Bonus feat elemental adept (fire)
Warlock invocations (Agonizing Blast + Devil Sight)
Metamagic (quickened and subtle)

Stats: dump Strength and Intelligence and get 18 Charisma, 14 Constitution and 14 Dexterity.

Before you battle Stradth, convert spell slot for extra sorcery points. Strategy, upcast magic missle, quicken, change to fire damage, spend spell slots to boost every bolt with 2d10 dmg and profit from +8 on all fire spells. If he uses shield, subtle counterspell. Or counterspell his counterspell if he has it. Reroll dmg dies.

Stradth will die in one or two turns maximum. You can also go wizard 8 and sorcerer 1 for 20 Charisma. If you run out of spell slots, you can Eldrich blast with 3x Charisma modifier on each blast.

Good luck with the battle :)

Unfortunately, if they are playing with the multiclassing rules, you can't dump int since you need at least a 13 to multiclass into wizard.

Foxydono
2019-11-12, 02:31 PM
Unfortunately, if they are playing with the multiclassing rules, you can't dump int since you need at least a 13 to multiclass into wizard.
Ah yes, I read it wrong, I thought restrictions on MC were removed, but he talked about racial restrictions on feats. You can still take 14 Con, 14 Dex, 16 Charisma and 13 Intelligence after racial bonus, so that's not a big obstacle.

jaappleton
2019-11-12, 03:04 PM
I have an idea.

What if... Alright. Hear me out.

Big Curse of Strahd spoilers.

In CoS, in the epilogue, one of the possible readings the DM can give you (its really their discretion) is that... Despite you having taken out Strahd, the Dark Powers of Barovia are still there. And they shall always be. And eventually, no matter what, they'll re-form Barovia as it was.

And eventually the mists will form again, and new adventurers will be sucked in, and the cycle can't be broken.

So really, everything you did? Futile.

HOWEVER, here's my idea:

What if... I *am* Strahd?

In the treasure of Castle Ravenloft, there's a Luckblade with one wish remaining. I know its a bit of DM discretion, but...

Kill Strahd.
Use Wish for True Resurrection on Strahd.
He's now Humanoid, no longer Undead.
CAST MAGIC JAR.

I'm Strahd. Ruler of Barovia. And you retain *your* mind of the person you possess with Magic Jar.

So I could go back to the Amber Temple, and become a vampire again.

And rule forever and ever...

Maybe as a kind ruler.... maybe not.

What do you think?

masterjoda99
2019-11-12, 05:35 PM
I have an idea.

In CoS, in the epilogue, one of the possible readings the DM can give you (its really their discretion) is that... Despite you having taken out Strahd, the Dark Powers of Barovia are still there. And they shall always be. And eventually, no matter what, they'll re-form Barovia as it was.

And eventually the mists will form again, and new adventurers will be sucked in, and the cycle can't be broken.

HOWEVER, here's my idea:

In the treasure of Castle Ravenloft, there's a Luckblade with one wish remaining. I know its a bit of DM discretion, but...

Kill Strahd.
CAST MAGIC JAR.

I'm Strahd. Ruler of Barovia. And you retain *your* mind of the person you possess with Magic Jar.

What do you think?

I think you're a madman and I think I love you.

Callin
2019-11-12, 06:10 PM
In the Sidekick UA and Find Familar Spell or Beast Master Pet I cant find any reason for them NOT to work together other than its straight up cheese.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-11-12, 06:30 PM
I have an idea.

HOWEVER, here's my idea:

Kill Strahd.
CAST MAGIC JAR.

What do you think?
If you're looking for unholy levels of damage with a Wish that would probably bake Strahd too, have you considered using it on one of the sarcophagi to set an ancient evil loose? Dahlver-Nar was possibly the strongest cleric in D&D history, just having him exist in Barovia is horrible for the vampire lord. Delban, Khirad, and Zhudun are elder evil stars, unleashing any of them essentially incinerates Barovia. Tenebrous is the god-vestige of Orcus, keeper of the Last Word, a power that can kill greater gods. Shami-Amourae, once the undisputed Queen of the Succubi and consort of Demogorgon, might actually let you live after freeing her and laying waste to Barovia. As a pet.

The most dangerous uses of that Wish that aren't liable to get everyone killed are either resurrecting Argynvost (ancient silver dragon, eat it Strahd) or Sergei, his own uncorrupted brother and the original wielder of the Sunsword. Though that last one depends on your DM's interpretations of how great of a warrior Sergei was, and if he does any interplay with the Sunsword. When my players did exactly this, I made him a mid level paladin who amplified the strength of the Sunsword, but your mileage will vary.

Saint Markovia's up there, too. You do come across her thighbone...

Mongobear
2019-11-12, 06:43 PM
Half-Elf Devotion Paladin 6/Divine Soul Sorcerer 5

GWM + Elven Accuracy, I'm sure you can figure out the rest. Just overload your immunities to his shennanigans, and insert this biggest weapon you can find into his face.

jaappleton
2019-11-12, 06:52 PM
Half-Elf Devotion Paladin 6/Divine Soul Sorcerer 5

GWM + Elven Accuracy, I'm sure you can figure out the rest. Just overload your immunities to his shennanigans, and insert this biggest weapon you can find into his face.

Elven Accuracy doesn’t apply to Strength, so no, I can’t figure out the rest :P

Mongobear
2019-11-12, 07:08 PM
Elven Accuracy doesn’t apply to Strength, so no, I can’t figure out the rest :P

Oh oops, mixxed my local groups houserules with actual RAW.

Uhhh, swap GWM with Revenant Blade? I don't remember if Wayfinders stuff was on the list of allowed material.

If not, swapping to Sword and Board still works, or even swap to Hexblade 3/Sorc 2 for EA via Charisma.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-11-12, 09:05 PM
I don't know if it's "most brokenly powerful" but my go-to archetype for killing undead is the Blood Hunter, Ghost Slayer. We ended our CoS campaign at 10th level, but if you're 11th level, the Ghost Hunter is amazing.

Crimson Rite damage jumps to 1d8
Blood Maledicts get a 3rd use per Rest
Supernal Surge gives the ability to move through objects/creatures, and make a third attack with the attack action

So go with a sword & board build, DEX based. Get your WIS up to 16 so you can Surge 3 times. Get the Blood Curse of the Marked Maledict to double your Crimson Rite dice. You'll have Rite of the Dawn, which adds 1d8+WIS radiant damage to your attacks.

When you fight Strahd, activate Rite of the Dawn on your Rapier, preferably before combat starts. When you're in melee, use Blood curse of the Marked as a bonus action, then Surge to attack three times. Each hit does 3d8+DEX+WIS+2. (Assuming you have Dueling as your fighting style.) You can do this for three consecutive turns.

(I contrived a "poor man's" version of this for my old character using a multiclass of Blood Hunter and Revised Ranger, combining Rite of the Dawn, Two Weapon Fighting, Hunter's Mark, and Favored Enemy: Undead. It took too many Bonus Actions to get everything online, so it didn't always work very well. But when it did work, undead went down quickly. I recommend the build above; simpler and more efficient.)

I'm migraining tonight. Stupid math errors may occur at any moment, without warning.

Cikomyr
2019-11-12, 09:17 PM
Oh oops, mixxed my local groups houserules with actual RAW.

Uhhh, swap GWM with Revenant Blade? I don't remember if Wayfinders stuff was on the list of allowed material.

If not, swapping to Sword and Board still works, or even swap to Hexblade 3/Sorc 2 for EA via Charisma.

Just learn Shadowblade, level 2 spell that summons a finesse 2handed sword that does 2d8 damage.

Mongobear
2019-11-12, 10:36 PM
Just learn Shadowblade, level 2 spell that summons a finesse 2handed sword that does 2d8 damage.

I guess? It's a good spell, but I prefer saving spell slots for Smites and Shield as a Sorcadin/Lockadin.

EA + Revenant Blade with Hexblade, or making a Dex Paladin is pretty obscene though. Otherwise SnB is one of the tankiest characters ever especially with Shield, and Pally auras.

EA + Vengeance Paladin + Hexblade for easy advantage with GWM is nice too.

Biggstick
2019-11-12, 11:12 PM

I guess? It's a good spell, but I prefer saving spell slots for Smites and Shield as a Sorcadin/Lockadin.

Go with Shadowblade.

Fight Strahd in dim light.

Your weapon is now swinging with Elven Accuracy, as you have advantage on attack rolls against targets in darkness or dimlight with the Shadowblade.

Going this route means you'll only need 3 levels of Sorcerer, meaning you can get 8 levels of Devotion Paladin for the Charm immunity. You still have tons of spell slots for Divine Smite and Shield. Additionally, with the Shadowblade, you can drop the weapon to cast the Shield spell and use a Bonus Action to bring it back the next turn (a pet peeve of mine when folks build Sorcadins is the lack of spell focus mis-management).

Gignere
2019-11-13, 02:28 AM
Go with Shadowblade.

Fight Strahd in dim light.

Your weapon is now swinging with Elven Accuracy, as you have advantage on attack rolls against targets in darkness or dimlight with the Shadowblade.

Going this route means you'll only need 3 levels of Sorcerer, meaning you can get 8 levels of Devotion Paladin for the Charm immunity. You still have tons of spell slots for Divine Smite and Shield. Additionally, with the Shadowblade, you can drop the weapon to cast the Shield spell and use a Bonus Action to bring it back the next turn (a pet peeve of mine when folks build Sorcadins is the lack of spell focus mis-management).

Since elf gets advantage against charm and that Paladins gets their charisma bonus added to their saves I think chances are you’re not getting charmed, so a level 6 Paladin / 5 sorcerer (divine soul) might be better because now you can counter spell whatever Strahd tries to throw at you, use subtle and he can’t CS your CS.

Biggstick
2019-11-13, 02:35 AM
Since elf gets advantage against charm and that Paladins gets their charisma bonus added to their saves I think chances are you’re not getting charmed, so a level 6 Paladin / 5 sorcerer (divine soul) might be better because now you can counter spell whatever Strahd tries to throw at you, use subtle and he can’t CS your CS.

Being able to make your allies immune to Charm has value too. I overlooked advantage on saves against charm for Half Elves, thanks!

Good point on Subtle Counterspell as well. That also nicely deals with the "hand-free" requirement for the somatic component of Counterspell on a PC that's likely using Sword and Board.

Daithi
2019-11-13, 02:53 AM
There is all kinds of cheese with Magic Missile paired with Lore Wizard, Twilight Druid, or even just a Hexblade --- the concept being to add damage to each bolt of the Magic Missile bolts. There are plenty of builds here on GitP and on the internet in general.

However, here is an innovation of my own. Take the Aberrant Dragonmark as a feature and take Magic Missile as your spell, which you can upcast as a 9th level spell even though your character will only be 11th level. Combined with the above, the only thing left of Strahd will be a bad memory.

Hellpyre
2019-11-13, 03:13 AM
However, here is an innovation of my own. Take the Aberrant Dragonmark as a feature and take Magic Missile as your spell, which you can upcast as a 9th level spell even though your character will only be 11th level.

I'm confused. Nothing in Aberrant Dragonmark suggests you can increase the spell by more than one level.

jaappleton
2019-11-13, 07:51 AM
Ok, I think I've got it narrowed down:

1. Gloomstalker / Fighter / Forge Cleric 1 / - Haven't settled on a definitely level breakup of this build, but basically its all about using Action Surge to coincide with Gloomstalker's bonus attack granted at Gloom 3. If I take 3 levels of Fighter, I can go Rune for Giant Form for +1d6 per attack, or Samurai for Advantage on all attacks until the end of my next turn. Regardless, and especially if I'm able to get one of the Clerics to use Holy Weapon on me, I should be able to utterly destroy Strahd in the opening round. And with 18 Wisdom and 20 Dexterity, I'd have +9 to Initiative (even more if I can squeeze in Alert). Pretty decent shot of going first, and even without Holy Weapon, I still have a chance at taking him out in that first round.

2. Tempest Theurge - A bit more reliant on my resources, but maximized Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning can cut plenty of encounters short. Plus I would have access to Tiny Hut, to give us safe haven as we journey throughout the castle itself on our way to Strahd. And, for some ungodly reason, Wizards get Dawn as an emergency, should something happen to the Sunsword or one of the Clerics. Plus, my previously mentioned Magic Jar shenanigans would be on the table.

3. Hexblade - Now, its nothing special. But its SAD, works with Elven Accuracy and a two handed weapon for Greatweapon Master, Improved Pact Weapon makes my weapon +1, Armor of Hexes means I have a good shot of attacks missing me, three spell slots, Eldritch Smite and Banishing Smite.... plus Warlocks got Magic Jar with the latest Unearthed Arcana.

All three would be somewhat reliant on short rests: Warlock is obvious, the Gloom / Fighter needs Action Surge, and the Theurge's Channel Arcana is short rest dependent.

Foxydono
2019-11-13, 09:11 AM

1. Gloomstalker / Fighter / Forge Cleric 1 / - Haven't settled on a definitely level breakup of this build, but basically its all about using Action Surge to coincide with Gloomstalker's bonus attack granted at Gloom 3. If I take 3 levels of Fighter, I can go Rune for Giant Form for +1d6 per attack, or Samurai for Advantage on all attacks until the end of my next turn. Regardless, and especially if I'm able to get one of the Clerics to use Holy Weapon on me, I should be able to utterly destroy Strahd in the opening round. And with 18 Wisdom and 20 Dexterity, I'd have +9 to Initiative (even more if I can squeeze in Alert). Pretty decent shot of going first, and even without Holy Weapon, I still have a chance at taking him out in that first round.

2. Tempest Theurge - A bit more reliant on my resources, but maximized Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning can cut plenty of encounters short. Plus I would have access to Tiny Hut, to give us safe haven as we journey throughout the castle itself on our way to Strahd. And, for some ungodly reason, Wizards get Dawn as an emergency, should something happen to the Sunsword or one of the Clerics. Plus, my previously mentioned Magic Jar shenanigans would be on the table.

3. Hexblade - Now, its nothing special. But its SAD, works with Elven Accuracy and a two handed weapon for Greatweapon Master, Improved Pact Weapon makes my weapon +1, Armor of Hexes means I have a good shot of attacks missing me, three spell slots, Eldritch Smite and Banishing Smite.... plus Warlocks got Magic Jar with the latest Unearthed Arcana.

All three would be somewhat reliant on short rests: Warlock is obvious, the Gloom / Fighter needs Action Surge, and the Theurge's Channel Arcana is short rest dependent.
Why not the lore wizard build? I'm pretty sure you can do more damage with it and also magic missle always hits. And I haven't even talked about Strength saves on hold monster etc. Or is it too cheesy for your taste?

Alternatively, you can make a more stable, less one trick pony build, by only doing 2 levels in lore wizard, two levels of warlock (Undying UA) and one level sorcerer (Phoenix). This gives you three bolts doing +15 damage om each bolt (not counting hex or other bonusses and not counting quickened). You can even build in two levels of fighter for action surge.

The build you suggest are good as well, so nothing wrong with that, but they don't feel broken to me. Just normal strong builds. A friend of mine played a mystic and I can tell you that it breaks the builds you mentioned in terms of power. I'm not specialized with the mystic class, so I haven't mentioned it, but doing 200 dmg with it was nog unusual.

jaappleton
2019-11-13, 09:25 AM
Why not the lore wizard build? I'm pretty sure you can do more damage with it and also magic missle always hits. And I haven't even talked about Strength saves on hold monster etc. Or is it too cheesy for your taste?

Alternatively, you can make a more stable, less one trick pony build, by only doing 2 levels in lore wizard, two levels of warlock (Undying UA) and one level sorcerer (Phoenix). This gives you three bolts doing +15 damage om each bolt (not counting hex or other bonusses and not counting quickened). You can even build in two levels of fighter for action surge.

The build you suggest are good as well, so nothing wrong with that, but they don't feel broken to me. Just normal strong builds. A friend of mine played a mystic and I can tell you that it breaks the builds you mentioned in terms of power. I'm not specialized with the mystic class, so I haven't mentioned it, but doing 200 dmg with it was nog unusual.

Hold Monster doesn't work on Undead.

Also, I forgot to mention it: UA is allowed, but I must use the latest version. So the UA of Undying Light is a no-go.

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-13, 11:26 AM
I have an idea.

HOWEVER, here's my idea:

Kill Strahd.
CAST MAGIC JAR.

What do you think? Heh, that's a neat way to approach it

Damon_Tor
2019-11-13, 12:17 PM

I would avoid Holy Weapon as a Gloomstalker: the glow of the weapon kills your invisibility vs darkvision, which will likely mean you don't have advantage.

If you really want to go three levels in fighter, my suggestion would be Battlemaster over Rune Knight. D8s are bigger than 1d6s.

jaappleton
2019-11-13, 12:27 PM
I would avoid Holy Weapon as a Gloomstalker: the glow of the weapon kills your invisibility vs darkvision, which will likely mean you don't have advantage.

If you really want to go three levels in fighter, my suggestion would be Battlemaster over Rune Knight. D8s are bigger than 1d6s.

If I go Gloom, the goal is to murder his face in a single round.

Let's review:

Gloom 4 (Archery Style) / Battlemaster Fighter 6 (Close Quarters Shooter from Light, Dark, Underdark! UA article) / Forge 1

Attack roll, with 20 Dex is 5+4+1+2+1, or +13. Without any Battlemaster Maneuver like Precision. After Sharpshooter, that's +8.

Damage per attack is 1d8+6+1d6 (Hunter's Mark)+10, or 23.

Three attacks in the opening round, and Action Surge gives me another three because of Gloom's wording. Six attacks at 23 damage each, for 138 average damage, without applying anything from Battlemaster.

If applying Battlemaster, or Brute, or really anything else at all from Fighter, I can end Strahd in a single turn. So the Holy Weapon negating the 'invisible to creatures with Darkvision' thing... Shrug. Not necessary to do Holy Weapon, but its just insurance.

Damon_Tor
2019-11-13, 12:39 PM
If applying Battlemaster, or Brute, or really anything else at all from Fighter, I can end Strahd in a single turn. So the Holy Weapon negating the 'invisible to creatures with Darkvision' thing... Shrug. Not necessary to do Holy Weapon, but its just insurance.

But the invisibility gives you advantage and thus increases the odds all those attacks hit, especially if you're also running Sharpshooter with its attack penalty. You could use Samurai for advantage, but then you wouldn't have the extra dice of damage from Battle Master, Brute or Rune Knight to add, and it would take up your bonus action, so you can't Hunter's Mark or Snipe.

Another note, When I posted my suggestion I did some quick math comparing Hunter's Mark at the start of the turn with Snipe instead, and IIRC, Snipe came out ahead. Hunter's Mark adds 3.5 damage to 6 attacks, 21 damage. But Snipe using Sharpshooter is going to deal 1d10+1d8+Dex+10, 24 or 25 damage.

And there's the question as to whether Sharpshooter is worth it at all. I suspect if you catch him out of his armor with AC 16 it makes sense, but if he manages to summon his armor with AC 21 you'd be better off without it (thus changing the math on Hunter's Mark vs Snipe as well). But that's math I haven't done, so I may be wrong.

jaappleton
2019-11-13, 12:52 PM
But the invisibility gives you advantage and thus increases the odds all those attacks hit, especially if you're also running Sharpshooter with its attack penalty. You could use Samurai for advantage, but then you wouldn't have the extra dice of damage from Battle Master, Brute or Rune Knight to add, and it would take up your bonus action, so you can't Hunter's Mark or Snipe.

Another note, When I posted my suggestion I did some quick math comparing Hunter's Mark at the start of the turn with Snipe instead, and IIRC, Snipe came out ahead. Hunter's Mark adds 3.5 damage to 6 attacks, 21 damage. But Snipe using Sharpshooter is going to deal 1d10+1d8+Dex+10, 24 or 25 damage.

And there's the question as to whether Sharpshooter is worth it at all. I suspect if you catch him out of his armor with AC 16 it makes sense, but if he manages to summon his armor with AC 21 you'd be better off without it (thus changing the math on Hunter's Mark vs Snipe as well). But that's math I haven't done, so I may be wrong.

There's something to be said for this with Elven Accuracy....

Damon_Tor
2019-11-13, 01:01 PM
There's something to be said for this with Elven Accuracy....

Absolutely.

CTurbo
2019-11-13, 01:32 PM
I'm gonna say Paladin 9/Fighter 2 would give you several different ways of one shotting him.

Before factoring in anything else, Just 4 attacks with full smites would do 4d8+14d8+(Str or Dex x4) which is around ~100 damage before any buffs assuming a 1d8 weapon.

Switch to a 2d6 weapon + GWM and that changes to 8d6+14d8+(Str/Dex x4)+40 and that is around ~150 damage before any buffs

Holy Weapon would add ~36 damage on 4 attacks
Hunter's Mark would add ~14 damage on 4 attacks
Divine Favor would add ~10 damage on 4 attacks

Devotion adds Cha mod to damage and Vengeance gets you advantage on all attacks against him. Either of these options help negate the -5 to hit from GWM.

Vengeance would be best if you wanted to go with the Elven Accuracy route.

Vengeance has access to Hunter's Mark and Haste and of course all Paladins get Magic Weapon if you need it, but this is not how you want to spend your concentration.

If you Haste yourself, you'd get 5 attacks against him with advantage. I'm not sure what would be stronger. 5 full advantage attacks with GWM or 5 full triple advantage attacks would a Rapier.

Assuming 20 Str/Dex, you're looking at -

GWM - 10d6+15d8+25+50 = ~178 damage without any additional buffs or crits
Rapier - 5d8+15d8+25 = ~115 damage without any additional buffs or crits, but of course this is a way way way higher chance of hitting and critting. A single crit here would add an additional 5d8 for ~23 damage. A second crit would add ~20 more.

Throw in Holy Weapon and either of those options take him down in 1 round. Having somebody Bless you would pretty much assure 5 hits too.

After breaking down the numbers, I think Vengeance Pally 9/Fighter 2 using GWM, Haste, and Vow of Emnity is the way to go. Especially if the Cleric Blesses you first. No additional buffs necessary, but something like Divine Favor or Hunter's Mark would help. There is no way he survives past the first round.

jaappleton
2019-11-13, 01:37 PM
I'm gonna say Paladin 9/Fighter 2 would give you several different ways of one shotting him.

Before factoring in anything else, Just 4 attacks with full smites would do 4d8+14d8+(Str or Dex x4) which is around ~100 damage before any buffs assuming a 1d8 weapon.

Switch to a 2d6 weapon + GWM and that changes to 8d6+14d8+(Str/Dex x4)+40 and that is around ~150 damage before any buffs

Devotion adds Cha mod to damage and Vengeance gets you advantage on all attacks against him. Either of these options help negate the -5 to hit from GWM.

Vengeance has access to Hunter's Mark and Haste and of course all Paladins get Magic Weapon if you need it, but this is not how you want to spend your concentration.

If you Haste yourself, you'd get 5 attacks against him with advantage. I'm not sure what would be stronger. 5 full advantage attacks with GWM or 5 full triple advantage attacks would a Rapier.

Rapier - 5d8+15d8+25 = ~115 damage without any additional buffs or crits, but of course this is a way way way higher chance of hitting and critting. A single crit here would add an additional 5d8 for ~23 damage. A second crit would add ~20 more.

Throw in Holy Weapon and either of those options take him down in 1 round. Having somebody Bless you would pretty much assure 5 hits too.

After breaking down the numbers, I think Vengeance Pally 9/Fighter 2 using GWM, Haste, and Vow of Emnity is the way to go. Especially if the Cleric Blesses you first. No additional buffs necessary, but something like Divine Favor or Hunter's Mark would help. There is no way he survives past the first round.

Only issue with this build is that I need the weapon to be magical. Devotion makes it magical with their channel divinity, but that's a full action.

Damon_Tor
2019-11-13, 01:41 PM

I think Gloomstalker is important not just for the 2 extra attacks, but also for the fact that it's one of the few ways Strahd really can't see you coming. He's slippery: a guy with no stealth capability who has to close to melee range to do his damage just isn't the best choice here. Sure technically he can obliterate him, but he's got to catch him first, and I don't see Strahd letting that happen.

CTurbo
2019-11-13, 01:49 PM
I think Gloomstalker is important not just for the 2 extra attacks, but also for the fact that it's one of the few ways Strahd really can't see you coming. He's slippery: a guy with no stealth capability who has to close to melee range to do his damage just isn't the best choice here. Sure technically he can obliterate him, but he's got to catch him first, and I don't see Strahd letting that happen.

Haste doubles his movement and Vengeance Paladins in particular are really hard to get away from with Relentless Avenger and not to mention Misty Step is an option as well. There's no way Strahd could get and stay away from him. If you're really worried about being Stealthy, just go with the Dex based Elven Accuracy option.

All you need to do is get within 90ft of him and he's toast.

Damon_Tor
2019-11-13, 02:14 PM
All you need to do is get within 90ft of him and he's toast.

And that's the problem, isn't it? He's got a passive perception of 23. Even if you've got a dex-focused, light armored build going on, as a paladin/fighter you just aren't going to have the tools to sneak up on this guy in any kind of reliable way, and you're going to have a rough time multiclassing out of paladin while keeping the rest of your stats where you want them with a dex build, too much wasted in strength for no returns. But a Gloomstalker is invisible to darkvision and has Pass Without Trace as well as expertise in Stealth.

samcifer
2019-11-13, 02:31 PM
Sorlock? Level 9 sorcerer/ level 2 hexblade ... agonizing blast + quickened agonizing blast at level 11 can be pretty nasty.

This is my preferred ranged build, tbh. You can have up to 6 ranged attack rolls per turn at CHA + 1d10 per hit and if you have the Warlock spell Hex active, you can add an additional 1d6 damager per hit. If everything hits without any crits, you'll still be doing 30 (CHA mod = 5) + 6d10 (+6d6) damage in a single turn which is pretty good.

8wGremlin
2019-11-13, 04:46 PM
This is my preferred ranged build, tbh. You can have up to 6 ranged attack rolls per turn at CHA + 1d10 per hit and if you have the Warlock spell Hex active, you can add an additional 1d6 damager per hit. If everything hits without any crits, you'll still be doing 30 (CHA mod = 5) + 6d10 (+6d6) damage in a single turn which is pretty good.

You should use the Hexblade's Curse at 11th level it's +4 to damage, and you can crit on a 19-20.
Both hex and Hexblade's Curse require a bonus action to use.

You'll get Hexblade's Curse, and then 3 blasts on round 1
You'll then get 3 more blasts and a quicken eldritch blast for 3 more, or hex spell, and then 3 blasts on round 2

samcifer
2019-11-13, 06:21 PM
You should use the Hexblade's Curse at 11th level it's +4 to damage, and you can crit on a 19-20.
Both hex and Hexblade's Curse require a bonus action to use.

You'll get Hexblade's Curse, and then 3 blasts on round 1
You'll then get 3 more blasts and a quicken eldritch blast for 3 more, or hex spell, and then 3 blasts on round 2

Yeah, I've been multi-tasking at work and forgot to mention that part, which I always go for because HB gives so much more than any other warlock patron does.

Cikomyr
2019-11-13, 10:34 PM

Why not max out Sorcerer levels, since you can smite with Sorcerer spell slots.

Paladin 5/Sorcerer 6. You still want 2 attacks/round.

Gignere
2019-11-13, 11:58 PM
Why not max out Sorcerer levels, since you can smite with Sorcerer spell slots.

Paladin 5/Sorcerer 6. You still want 2 attacks/round.

Paladin 6 gets charisma to saves.

Mongobear
2019-11-14, 12:48 AM
Paladin 6 gets charisma to saves.

Plus, even Paladin levels divide better for MC spell slots. I'd even consider Pal 7 or 8 depending on Oath choice. Some level 7 features are amazing, and the ASI I useful. (I realize 7/4 gets the same number of ASIs as 8/3)

Just depends how martial vs caster you want to be. Pally 6 is pretty much mandatory, imo

bendking
2019-11-14, 01:51 AM
Have you heard about our lord and savior the Sorcadin?

Mongobear
2019-11-14, 02:59 AM
Have you heard about our lord and savior the Sorcadin?

Didn't read the rest of the thread, eh?

I've been recommending exactly that for the last few responses.