PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Requesting Assistance: Porting Razor Boar into 5e

Pleh
2019-11-11, 05:35 PM
My best efforts to find the Razor Boar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/razorBoar.htm) in 5e have come up empty. Maybe it's somewhere in a book I don't have, but I would have expected a google search to at least turn up the name of the book it was in if it's been added.

Short of that, I thought I'd try my hand at homebrewing it. It looks a lot like a Giant Boar in 5e with extra bells and whistles.

I was thinking probably all I really need to do is make it a Legendary Giant Boar, but being somewhat inexperienced with homebrewing 5e monsters, I wanted some advice on the best way to balance the creature.

Balance to what? Well, target CR is understandably negotiable, but in 3.5 the CR was 10, so we can aim to balance to that point for 5e (I understand that 5e doesn't scale as high due to bounded accuracy, etc).

Based on the 3.5 entry, I think it's fair to give this thing Damage Resistance to most of the mundane forms of damage (DR vs bldg/slsh/prc from nonmagic weapons) and add Darkvision.

These things are supposed to be one of the poster children for tough to kill, so I was thinking it would have Legendary Resistances (3/day succeed a failed saving throw).

Maybe for Legendary actions, a Rage action that lets them remove a Mind-Affecting Effect that is currently affecting them (it might cost 2 actions if this is too good).

Then a Bolt action that allows them to Overrun an adjacent enemy (so it isn't quite so easy to corner them and keep them from using their powerful charging actions).

Obviously, they can use Legendary Actions to make a standard Tusk attack, as you might imagine.

I'm on the fence about the Vorpal Tusk thing. On the one hand, it kind of is the entire idea of a Razor Boar, on the other, it may be a little too much in a homebrew conversion. I'm just less certain about the balance of porting that particular feature over to 5e.

So how about it? What do you think so far?

Fredaintdead
2019-11-12, 01:31 PM
I think you've got a really good base to start from there, and I think I have an idea for "Vorpal Tusks", let's take a look at the Balor for a moment. The 3.5 Balor just had a flat out Vorpal Sword. Now, the 5e Balor doesn't have a "Vorpal" sword in essence, but it does have something that represents a similar idea, critical hits that are more deadly, and I think we can take inspiration from (read: outright steal) that feature.

Straight from the Balor's Longsword attack:
"If the balor scores a critical hit, it rolls damage dice three times, instead of twice."

If we give a similar (read: exactly the same) feature to your Razor Boar, it keeps it "That crit HURT" feel without being terribly unfair to the unlucky player that would otherwise get their head cut off.

So we're kinda looking at something like:
Kraul, Razor King of Boars
Huge Beast, Alignment of choice
HP: 207 (18d12+90)
Speed: 50ft
AC: 16-18, it's "tough to kill" from a "standard warrior" perspective, but hittable by a group of adventurers.
Str 24, Dex 10, Con 20, Int 2, Wis 7, Cha 5
Saving Throws: Str +11, Con +8
Resistances: Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing from non-magical weapons, one element of your choice (I'm partial to Cold)
Condition Immunities: Charmed, Frightened
Challenge Rating: 11 (Offensively he's a 10 on the dot, Defensively he's a 13)

Charge - As Giant Boar, but boost the extra damage to 3d6, DC (primarily because of Str bonus) increases to 19
Relentless - As Giant Boar, but boost the damage threshold on Relentless to 15 (it takes a truly herculean blow to fell this boar for good!)
Legendary Resistances (2/day) (At the CR we're aiming for, these are worth ~40 extra hp altogether. giving him the third one means we've gotta make him just a little too squishy for my liking)

Attacks:
Multiattack - Makes one Vorpal Tusk and two Hoof attacks
Vorpal Tusk, Melee Weapon Attack, +11 to hit, 15ft reach, 18 (3d6+7) slashing. If Kraul rolls a critical hit with his Vorpal Tusk, it rolls damage dice three times, instead of twice.
Hoof, Melee Weapon Attack, +11 to hit, 10ft reach. Hit: 12 (2d4+7) bludgeoning.

Legendary Actions (3)
Thrash (1) - Kraul makes a single Vorpal Tusk or Hoof attack.
Fury (2) - Kraul regains 1d12 hit points and removes one of the following conditions from himself: Blinded, Paralyzed, Poisoned. (Getting that Fast Healing in somewhere too)
Rampage (3) - Kraul charges up to half his movement speed and may move through foes. Each foe he passes through is subject to a Vorpal Tusk attack, and must succeed a DC 19 Strength Saving Throw or be knocked prone. Only the first target struck suffers the extra damage from his Charge trait.

JNAProductions
2019-11-12, 01:35 PM
I would NOT include Vorpal Tusks. Maybe give the Tusks better crit abilities (expanded crit range, more damage on a crit, or both) but NOT insta-kill.

I would do something like...

Razor Boar
Large Beast, Unaligned
Armor Class 18 (Thick, Jagged Hide)
Hit Points 158 (15d10+75)
Speed 50'

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

22 (+6)
14 (+2)
20 (+5)
2 (-4)
14 (+2)
10 (0)

Saving Throws Intelligence +0
Skills Athletics +10, Perception +6, Survival +6
Damage Resistances Non-magical Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing
Senses Darkvision 60', Passive Perception 16
Languages None
Challenge 10?
Regeneration Provided a Razor Boar has at least 1 HP at the start of its turn, it regains 5 HP at the start of its turn.

Magic Resistance A Razor Boar has advantage on saves against magical effects.

Damage Threshold 5 A Razor Boar ignores any instances of damage that deal 5 damage or less.

Vorpal Tusks A Razor Boar scores a critical hit on a roll of 18-20 with its tusks, and rolls damage dice four times instead of twice on a crit. Its tusks also count as magical for overcoming damage resistance.

Actions
Tusks Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to-hit, reach 5', one target. Hit: 2d6+6 slashing damage.

Hooves Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to-hit, reach 5', one target. Hit: 2d4+6 bludgeoning damage.

Overrun The Razor Boar moves up to twice its speed, trampling anyone in its path. During this move, it may enter other creatures' spaces-anyone who has their space entered must make a DC 18 Dexterity save, taking 2d12+6 bludgeoning and slashing damage on a failed save, or half on a successful. They may attempt an Attack Of Opportunity on the Boar before it enters their space-if they do so, the save is made with disadvantage.

Multiattack The Razor Boar makes two attacks with its hooves and one with its tusks.

Bonus Actions
Enraged Attack If the Razor Boar scores a critical hit with its tusks or drops an opponent to 0 HP with any attack, it may make an extra tusk attack as a bonus action.

Enragement The Razor Boar ends the Charmed or Frightened condition on itself.

Legendary Actions
A Razor Boar can take 2 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. A Razor Boar regains spent legendary actions at the start of their turn.

Attack. The Boar makes a tusk attack.
Enragement. The Boar uses Enragement.