PDA

View Full Version : Sentinel + Interception Fighting Style?

Makorel
2019-11-11, 06:00 PM
The new UA gives us a new fighting style:

Interception: When a creature you can see hits a target that is within 5 feet of you with an attack, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage the target takes by 1d10 + your proficiency bonus (to a minimum of 0 damage). You must be wielding a shield or a simple or martial weapon to use this reaction.

So this is an interesting fighting style that allows you to mitigate damage when an ally gets hit, but I got to thinking about what if the attack is made and your ally doesn't get hit? Enter Sentinel, whose third effect is as follows:

When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn't have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.

Sentinel paired with Interception means that when an enemy attacks a friend you can attack them if they miss, and reduce the damage if they hit, but with Sentinel you could already use your reaction when the enemy lands a hit by attacking them. Is the damage reduction from Interception worth more than the attack from Sentinel when your buddy gets hit?

Bobthewizard
2019-11-11, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't take both on the same character since they compete for your reaction, and I like sentinel better. But if you're a frontliner and your partner has sentinel already, interception could be a good feat to take. If they attack you they get hit. If they attack your friend, they do less damage.

Sexyshoeless
2019-11-11, 06:11 PM
Because of the scaling on Interception and monster damage/# of attacks, Interception is enormous at low levels and scales rather poorly.

That being said, when comparing to Sentinel, it really depends on your party composition and conventional tactics/situations you find yourselves in. Do you have a frontliner buddy who can take the hit, in which case your damage will be worth more? Or are you trying to keep people locked down and from moving? then Sentinel is better.

In the campaign I'm in, I am the sole front liner in a small party of squishies. I find myself often next to another squishy trying to protect them, so Interception becomes much more useful especially at our lower level.

A point that is currently unclear from RAW is whether or not Interception can be used to mitigate damage on yourself, in which case it becomes much less situational and more desirable.