PDA

View Full Version : A Lost Wyrmling Dragon

Bartmanhomer
2019-11-11, 06:14 PM
Imagine the party (A warblade, a swordsage, a bard, a warlock) encounter two adult sapphire dragons. (Both male and female) They went in search for their child who happens to be a wyrmling. They asked for your help. Your search for the lost sapphire wyrmling dragon and the party began to worry about the baby sapphire dragon. But with a stroke of luck, you found the lost sapphire dragon with only minor injuries. The party returns the baby dragon to his/her parents and the parent's awards you a ton of gold pieces from their horde and this ends with a happy ending onward to their next adventure. So does this ever happen to anybody in their games? :confused:

KatsOfLoathing
2019-11-11, 06:17 PM
I've never played such a scenario or heard about one before. Honestly, I'm more curious what drove you to propose this very specific scenario, Bart. Is this something that happened to you in a game IRL recently?

Bartmanhomer
2019-11-11, 06:20 PM
I've never played such a scenario or heard about one before. Honestly, I'm more curious what drove you to propose this very specific scenario, Bart. Is this something that happened to you in a game IRL recently?

No, it's just a theoretical scenario that I made up. :smile:

False God
2019-11-11, 08:55 PM
Yeah I've been on quests like this. Not exact details but close enough. The quest just happens to go smoothly presents little danger to the party and we get showered with rewards.

Bartmanhomer
2019-11-11, 08:58 PM
For some obvious reason, I feel like I should DM my own game.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-11-11, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a great way to close a gap between the party's current funds and where WBL says they should be or when they otherwise need a fat stack of gold for something coming up, whether they know it's coming or not.

Haven't personally been there but it's a tool for the GM's box, certainly.

Karl Aegis
2019-11-12, 12:26 AM
I'm all for saving children, but dragons are made of loot. They must be slain for the loot.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-11-12, 12:42 AM
I'm all for saving children, but dragons are made of loot. They must be slain for the loot.

They're also -born- more dangerous than most trained warriors and have parents that are amongst the most dangerous creatures in the world. Their grandparents tend to be among the most dangerous creatures that aren't gods or their descendants.

Whacking the kid seems vaguely suicidal, since its parents know who you are and attacking them is only somewhat less so unless the PCs are at least upper-mid-level.

hamishspence
2019-11-12, 12:53 AM
Not to mention that Sapphire Dragons are normally Lawful Neutral, which makes them probably the least threatening to societies in general.

HouseRules
2019-11-12, 09:02 AM
Usually, the party end up becoming a slave servent to that wyrmling.
They have to raise that wyrmling over time because the parent dragons die shortly afterwards.
In fact, it is more likely that other dragons are the enemies.
Dragons fight one another because they have different alignment.
Usually a chaotic evil dragons would make up the bosses the party have to fight.
The final boss would be the one to kill the parents after the party starts the journey to find the wyrmling.

MisterKaws
2019-11-12, 10:27 AM
Usually the parent dragon's will go themselves to find their babies, y'know? Better just cast a couple divinations and TP in than tell a bunch of weak humans to walk all the way and potentially put the baby at risk.

Alhallor
2019-11-12, 10:35 AM
As others not exactly that scenario but I DMed a little session where a greater dragon wanted the heroes to retrieve the marlbe statue of a goddess holding a snake.

The statue was in the lair of a lesser dragon that the other dragon couldn't enter because it was too big. And of course the snake the goddess was holding was the enchanted child of the greater dragon.

The reward was the lair of the lesser dragon and possibly a favor.

weckar
2019-11-13, 12:59 AM
Is this not just basically the inverted scenario to what you proposed HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?598814-The-Team-Want-To-Help-An-Evil-Wyrmling-Dragon-To-Find-His-Way-Home)?

RatElemental
2019-11-13, 03:19 AM
Their grandparents tend to be among the most dangerous creatures that aren't gods or their descendants.

Some of those grandparents might actually be gods at that point.

Evil DM Mark3
2019-11-13, 04:08 AM
I did something similar, although it took a while for the PCs to work out what was up.

They found a pair of cats, identical in almost every way, except that a few days after they found them they found one of them standing on the fog that had rolled in. Turns out the bandits they had fought shortly before finding the cats were transporting a silver dragon egg. It had hatched and the wyrmling was using alternate form to pretend to be a cat (the first thing it had seen upon emerging) but didn't realise that walking on clouds is not something regular cats do. The party then had to track down the person who sold the egg (getting advice from very nasty Kobold Wizard who was professor of Draconic Studies at the Arcane Academy, boy was he fun to play, he hated the PCs with a passion, had Int 17 and 8 levels on them, but also had a semi-divine reverence for dragons so kept helping them while threatening to murder them in fun and inventive ways if they bothered him again.) and return it to its parents.