PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The Nuances of Ranger/Rogue Multiclassing

Rerem115
2019-11-11, 06:15 PM
So, in one long-running campaign I'm in, I'm playing an Archery Revised Ranger (Hunter Conclave), and just hit level 6. But, even with Revised Ranger, taking many more levels feels kinda lackluster, and I'm probably going to switch to Rogue. Now, this leaves me with a couple of questions:

Should I immediately multiclass to Rogue next level, to avoid doubling up on redundant abilities? Fleet of Foot is Cunning Action lite, and getting more Sneak Attack dice is always good.

Or, should I stick with Ranger to 8 in order to get Sharpshooter faster?

And, when I do make the change, should I go Scout for the two free Expertises (which, given the campaign, I can guarantee will come into use) and the reaction dash, or should I go Arcane Trickster in order to get more utility, Shield, and higher-level spell slots?

Zigludo
2019-11-11, 07:11 PM
First of all, let me assure you that your instincts were correct. You probably made the right decision by leaving RR for Rogue at exactly 6th level. An argument can be made for Iron Mind + the ASI + the spell level, but if you ask me it's better to just start rushing for Uncanny Dodge and Evasion and stacking up Sneak Attack dice now that you have Greater Favored Enemy.

As for subclass - Arcane Trickster is always recommendable, but Scout's expertise is also pretty invaluable if you're already in a campaign that uses those skills a lot. But if I might offer a third option -- Gloom Stalker Revised Ranger is one of the ways to make Assassin's Assassinate actually go off reliably. That can result in some pretty huge damage.

Out of curiosity, what did you take for you 4th level ASI instead of Sharpshooter?

CTurbo
2019-11-11, 09:24 PM
I agree with Assassin being the best pair for a Gloom Stalker with Scout being runner up, and Arcane Trickster still being a very very solid third option.

Talionis
2019-11-11, 11:03 PM
Nice thing about Arcane Trickster is you already have some spells that can be upcasted. Also at very highly levels it can help with saves.

Rerem115
2019-11-12, 12:55 AM
First of all, let me assure you that your instincts were correct. You probably made the right decision by leaving RR for Rogue at exactly 6th level. An argument can be made for Iron Mind + the ASI + the spell level, but if you ask me it's better to just start rushing for Uncanny Dodge and Evasion and stacking up Sneak Attack dice now that you have Greater Favored Enemy.

As for subclass - Arcane Trickster is always recommendable, but Scout's expertise is also pretty invaluable if you're already in a campaign that uses those skills a lot. But if I might offer a third option -- Gloom Stalker Revised Ranger is one of the ways to make Assassin's Assassinate actually go off reliably. That can result in some pretty huge damage.

Out of curiosity, what did you take for you 4th level ASI instead of Sharpshooter?

Alas, I'm at a table where Revised Gloom Stalker is banned, so as I said in the OP, I'm Hunter Conclave. I started at level 3, just hit level 6. Fourth level ASI was Squat Nimbleness, to round out 17 Dex to 18 Dex.

CTurbo
2019-11-12, 08:43 AM
Yeah sorry about that. I think Scout is perfect with the Hunter Conclave.

Zigludo
2019-11-12, 10:58 AM
Alas, I'm at a table where Revised Gloom Stalker is banned, so as I said in the OP, I'm Hunter Conclave. I started at level 3, just hit level 6. Fourth level ASI was Squat Nimbleness, to round out 17 Dex to 18 Dex.

Sorry, for some reason I totally blanked and thought you wrote Gloom Stalker. (Your DM probably made the right call there.)

I second the Scout recommendation.

Rerem115
2019-11-12, 12:34 PM
I was leaning towards Scout already, and this pretty much confirms what the long-term plan is. But, you guys think I should take two more levels for Multiattack Defense+Sharpshooter, or go straight to Rogue?

da newt
2019-11-12, 12:52 PM
I'd recommend Rogue right now and never look back.

I'm a big fan of the Scout but would also recommend a hard look at Mastermind or AT (familiars are handy and probably thematic for your character).

Rerem115
2019-11-12, 01:58 PM
Mastermind doesn't really fit the character, so I haven't been considering it.

djreynolds
2019-11-12, 02:01 PM
Scout is a great fit.
But go ranger 7 and 8 at some point.

Wisdom saves are a real weakness for everyone and feats are great

Crgaston
2019-11-12, 06:42 PM
I've got an unrevised Gloomstalker 7/Scout 5 and I kinda wish I had gone Assassin or Inquisitive instead. The Scout Expertises are great, but the Reaction movement is lackluster. It's useless vs large enemies (it specifies within 5' of you, not within their reach) and after level 5 it competes with Uncanny Dodge.

Dohvak
2019-11-12, 07:38 PM
I played Hunter Ranger and didn't plan my levels out as well as I could for ranger side. I think you did right in lvl 6. I would put 3 lvl in rogue/assassin then go right back to ranger personally. If the campaign does go far enough to get 11th level in ranger there isn't anything in the ranger side you would be unhappy with. lots of Pass without trace on the Party or yourself, hunters mark with colossas slayer. Sharpshooter and Volley on an assassinate round at ~400 feet is a good way to get the party bored and never let the DM allow an open field ever again. Buckets of dice. Such a skill heavy, adaptable character.

chando
2019-11-12, 08:32 PM
I've got an unrevised Gloomstalker 7/Scout 5 and I kinda wish I had gone Assassin or Inquisitive instead. The Scout Expertises are great, but the Reaction movement is lackluster. It's useless vs large enemies (it specifies within 5' of you, not within their reach) and after level 5 it competes with Uncanny Dodge.

This.
Also if i have +3d6 or more SA damage usually i will be looking for a way to attack with my reaction. Not sure the best way to do it as an archer with extra attack. (in your build i think the 'easiest' way would be Arcane Trickster 13+ to get Haste spell and attack with the haste action and ready to attack on someoneelses turn, but thats level 19 with 6 ranger levels! probably better off getting hasted by someone in the party or magic item if possible way sooner than this...)

Arcane Trickster gives you the upcastable wizard spells, so go ahead and get yourself an arcane archer vibe if you want, grants great utility in the cantrips/familiar/spells in general and keep giving more slots, albeit at a very slow pace.
Other subclass have more noticeble bonuses at 3rd level abd the stuff rogue gets all the way to 8 is all great and most 9th level are on the low end of the power curve so kind of doenst matter and the 13th level ability is so far away as just discussed above that it comes down to this:
or pick a subclass with one really meaningfull ability or pair of abilities at 3rd level that will make your 3rd level in rogue feel great
or pick arcane trickster, as the spells give fun, utility, mobility, defense and its power increases the more levels you pick up...
as you can see, I'm a sucker for spells, but i also really like the classical thief, good to get at will climbing speed, fast hands (poison arrows?check. Sleigth of hand? check.-), maybe get the healer feat and outheal the cleric)