PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthrope player rules?

Invader
2019-11-11, 07:49 PM
Are there official rules anywhere for playing a werebear? I’ve seen lots of different stuff but it mostly all looks like home brewed stuff.

The goal is to play a werebear as a regular PC who was born one and not turned.

Greywander
2019-11-11, 09:30 PM
Monster Manual, page 207.

Do be aware that lycanthropes are immune to non-magical weapons. This will necessarily trivialize some challenges, which is fine, just make sure to throw in enemies from time to time that focus on magic or use magic weapons.

Edit: Silvered weapons will also work, and that's generally more readily available than magic weapons when it comes to NPCs. It's also less of a problem when the players loot the silvered weapons, as they usually have little use for them except to sell them.

Invader
2019-11-12, 12:30 PM
Perfect, I'm working off the SRD and couldn't find it, thank you!

I saw something that advanced lycanthropes for 5 levels but I'm not sure if it's official or not. Is there any other support for them anywhere or is what's in the MM it?

GlenSmash!
2019-11-12, 03:01 PM
Perfect, I'm working off the SRD and couldn't find it, thank you!

I saw something that advanced lycanthropes for 5 levels but I'm not sure if it's official or not. Is there any other support for them anywhere or is what's in the MM it?

The MM is what's it.

If looking for a balanced player werebear, I onced refluffed a Goliath Bear Totem Barbarian as a Human Werebear and it worked very well.

Invader
2019-11-12, 04:54 PM
The MM is what's it.

If looking for a balanced player werebear, I onced refluffed a Goliath Bear Totem Barbarian as a Human Werebear and it worked very well.

That’s actually my next question, I was just going with a half orc but if I understand correctly you take the better of your stats/werebears stats when transformed so the star bonus from the half irc would be wasted when in hybrid or bear form right?

Ertwin
2019-11-12, 05:31 PM
That’s actually my next question, I was just going with a half orc but if I understand correctly you take the better of your stats/werebears stats when transformed so the star bonus from the half irc would be wasted when in hybrid or bear form right?

I mean it doesn't really matter if it is. If you want to play a half-orc werebear you can. Wasted stats only matter if you're minmaxing.

GlenSmash!
2019-11-12, 05:34 PM
If you want to play a half-orc werebear you can..

Providing the DM lets you.

GlenSmash!
2019-11-12, 05:37 PM

As far as I know if using the MM werebear rules your strength would be set to 19 in all 3 forms, not just hybrid or bear.

(but my suggestion was to not use the MM Werebear rules since they really aren't well designed around player use and are more designed to turn a pc that contracts lycanthropy into an npc)

Theodoxus
2019-11-12, 05:43 PM
I tend to agree with Glen; since you're dealing with a born werebear rather than a cursed one, it'd probably be best to create your own rules for it.

For what it's worth, my current campaign has 4 out of 6 players who purposefully contracted lycanthropy from a bear. But since they're going to soon decide if they're going to go cruising around in the underdark, or the abyss, the power boost will be a welcome boon.

CheddarChampion
2019-11-12, 07:01 PM
Are you looking at this as a player OP?
I can't tell from the posts, so:
Be aware that despite it being "Official," many DM's will be wary of allowing a PC to be a were-creature because of the mechanical benefits. Same deal with vampires. Talk with yours before making a werebear PC.

A shifter is better balanced. I think it's from UA: Races of Eberron.

MagneticKitty
2019-11-12, 07:08 PM
Shifter totem barbarian with light reflavor is probably best fit. Otherwise talk to your dm.. because mm lycan rules are way op. I made my own for my game

Invader
2019-11-12, 07:12 PM
Are you looking at this as a player OP?
I can't tell from the posts, so:
Be aware that despite it being "Official," many DM's will be wary of allowing a PC to be a were-creature because of the mechanical benefits. Same deal with vampires. Talk with yours before making a werebear PC.

A shifter is better balanced. I think it's from UA: Races of Eberron.

The party is 10thish lvl and I’m just sitting in for a few sessions so he’s not going to be overly strong. I decided on a Grung barbarian werebear because I’m going for more thematically fun than min/maxed. Damage immunity isn’t really a problem, dm can can handle it pretty easy at that level.

Addaran
2019-11-12, 10:25 PM
The MM is what's it.

I think that's the best solution. Already strong and impressive as a Goliath. When you rage, it's you turning into a werebear. Either give the claws as free or have the players take the tavern brawler feat ( slashing instead of bludgeoning). Or maybe in exchange for silver vulnerability.