PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Line Spells

Gale
2019-11-11, 09:39 PM
Quick question. I was wondering if line spells such as Lightning Bolt can be shortened? Or in other words, can a Wizard cast a lightning bolt that is 10 ft. long instead of 100 ft. long?

I'm only wondering this because the description for line effects reads, "A line extends from its point of origin in a straight path up to its length and covers an area defined by its width."

The "up to" part seems to suggest that a line spell doesn't have to fully extend to its longest possible range. If this is true then it can make line spells far less dangerous to your allies and the surrounding environment. But I'm not actually sure if this is what the description is implying or if I'm simply misinterpreting it.

Zalabim
2019-11-11, 09:48 PM
In any case, you could aim the spell into the ground or up into the air to cut its effect shorter or avoid something a certain distance away.

JackPhoenix
2019-11-11, 10:03 PM
The "up to" part is propably there to account for cover between the point of origin and the target, and possible spells that do allow to make the line shorter. Lightning Bolt isn't such spell.