PDA

View Full Version : Help! Getting Randomized Treasure!

togapika
2007-10-18, 02:42 PM
I'm going to start playing in an Eberron campaign and need some advice.
We're starting at 10th level, and I'm playing a changeling Rouge/Assassin going for the "grey hand" legendary class from the Sword and Sorcery book Path of Shadow.

The other players are a human/shadow template fighter tactician build (Knowledge skills and all that) and a Psion of some sort.

The one wrinkle is the DM has decided to start us with random treasure using the tables in the Magic Item Compendium.
Has this sort of thing ever happened to you? How did/would you deal with it?

MrNexx
2007-10-18, 02:47 PM
The one wrinkle is the DM has decided to start us with random treasure using the tables in the Magic Item Compendium.
Has this sort of thing ever happened to you? How did/would you deal with it?

I would take a look at my random treasure and see what I can do with it. Is there anything that's completely useless to me (wands for a fighter without UMD)? That's bargaining material. Do I have the basic equipment I need to work (does my fighter have weapons and armor)?

Now, if your characters don't know each other, you might start out somewhat protective of your magic items, even the ones you can't use (they're valuable, after all). However, throwing the wizard a wand from your pack when necessary will go a ways towards building party cohesion.

I'd especially do this in a low-magic campaign, where items are hard to come by and hard to sell.

Matthew
2007-10-18, 02:48 PM
I would lay it out for him. Tell him that it's going to negatively affect the kinds of challenges the party is capable of facing and you don't really see the point. If that doesn't move him, just sell or trade your gear for stuff that you want. Chances are, though, that he views this as a challenge, so he might simply be expecting you to rise to the occasion.

Overlard
2007-10-18, 05:27 PM
I hate randomised treasure. It can be fun to get a couple of the less-used items, but unless the PCs have access to somewhere to sell the crap and pick up something useful instead, they're likely to get into trouble a lot easier.