2019-11-12, 06:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szby7ZHLnkA

For comparison, this was the first trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWjycJ8Gelk

And what was, IMO, the best fan-edit of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ5OvTC9gAk

GentlemanVoodoo
2019-11-12, 07:35 AM
Definitely an improvement in design. Almost looks like what they are going for is similar to the Detective Pikachu movie in terms of the fur/hair.

As to the trailer best so far, but still movie looks forgettable. Not horrid as compared to other kids movies but one that is just meh.

HandofShadows
2019-11-12, 07:42 AM
Never figured out why ANYONE thought that the old design was anything other than horrible. :smalleek:

GloatingSwine
2019-11-12, 09:23 AM
As to the trailer best so far, but still movie looks forgettable. Not horrid as compared to other kids movies but one that is just meh.

The only thing that might save it is if Jim Carrey becomes his full-on '90s self and spends every minute of screen time chewing the scenery as comprehensively as possible.

At least Sonic doesn't look like a horrible baby-eating nightmare goblin any more.

Murk
2019-11-12, 09:45 AM
I have no interest in seeing this movie whatsoever, but now I'm starting to feel slightly conflicted over it. Changing a movie in response to audience advice is very admirable, and something I wish more studios would do - so now I kind of want this movie to do well.
Not enough to actually watch it, I think, but still.

Ramza00
2019-11-12, 10:23 AM
I am thinking two things when I watched this new trailer.

https://dazedimg-dazedgroup.netdna-ssl.com/900/azure/dazed-prod/1260/5/1265169.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e9/43/bd/e943bdd3e6b5d38284afd909145f59b5.jpg

Anybody else on the same page as me?

The Glyphstone
2019-11-12, 11:46 AM
My eye sockets no longer weep tears of blood looking at Sonic, so it's better. Upgraded from 'memetic trash fire' to 'forgettable video game movie'.

Kitten Champion
2019-11-12, 12:01 PM
I wonder how many poorly recompensed months of crunch the CGI team had to go through to fix this monstrosity.

More importantly, no Gangsta's Paradise -- 3/10.

Peelee
2019-11-12, 12:16 PM
My eye sockets no longer weep tears of blood looking at Sonic, so it's better. Upgraded from 'memetic trash fire' to 'forgettable video game movie'.

Just wait for the DVD where they release the original as a bonus feature.

J-H
2019-11-12, 12:26 PM
That looks a lot better. Unfortunately Jim Carrey is still probably going to bring a bunch of bathroom humor into it.

Zevox
2019-11-12, 12:38 PM
Well, Sonic himself certainly looks a million times better, can't fault them there anymore. And this trailer actually makes it seem like they have some idea of the kind of tone a Sonic film should have, which is also an improvement. And the trailer actually spent more time focusing on Sonic rather than on random humans nobody cares about, again, also an improvement. And there was that brief glimpse of the Green Hill Zone at the start there, which momentarily got me hoping that maybe they'd actually revised this into a proper Sonic film.

Unfortunately that's not the case though. We're still stuck with the "Sonic but in the real world!" plot complete with random human co-star nobody cares about, Sonic still looks out of place in the real world at best even if he isn't a hideously deformed version of himself anymore, and "Doctor Robotnik" is still Robotnik in name only and acts like a total buffoon. All in all, still looks likely to be a forgettable, mediocre movie at absolute best to me. Just another video game movie adaptation like any other.

Aotrs Commander
2019-11-12, 01:10 PM

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction, as well.

I mean, that's like, a 90000000% upgrade from where it was, for what that's worth...

Ramza00
2019-11-12, 01:21 PM
Unfortunately that's not the case though. We're still stuck with the "Sonic but in the real world!" plot complete with random human co-star nobody cares about,

You take that back! That is James Marsden.

He is the soft boy who is innocent and we love him anyway. He is too pure for this world. Plus he was completely miscasted as Cyclops in the 2000s X-Men.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbFhj4nVMAAPDjx.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbFsXlHW0AE46PK.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbU-E2hVMAAlWVi.jpg

Find you a husband that will look at you like James Marsden will look at you when you show up to your Wedding as Princess Leia, Ms. Liz Lemon

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dbfa4P-XUAAMsQQ.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dbfa4P_XcAAvRtp.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dbfa4QJWsAACzJC.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uakaPT7Slk

-----

James Marsden exist in Westworld besides for the naked scenes, only in order to be "the good guy" in a show that is full of bad guys in a world that is ugly, brutish, decaying, and vile. James Marsden exists to be the untouched Adam in the Garden of Eden when in reality this is not Eden but the "real world." He is too good for Westworld and that is the point of his character, to provide that contrast.

In sum James Marsden is a perfect type cast to be the lovable dork, that when he is surprised for some reason he "smiles" and thus everyone watching the movie knows that line from Pippa Passes "God's in his heaven—All's right with the world!" [Yes that line in the greater context of the poem is deeply ironic.]

-----

Thusly James in the Sonic movie is either going to be horrible in it and completely miscast, or he is going to be the character who sells this movie creating lasting charm instead of temporary charm (sonic). James Marsden is going to be what saves the movie, or the movie is going to be meh irrespective of James. That is because Sonic as a live action movie really should not be made but the Viacom / Paramount needs movie content both for box offices and for future streaming services.

But hey I can be wrong, maybe Sonic will be a decent movie. After all the Pokemon Detective Pikachu movie was not horrible, it was an alright movie, even though it kinda of have been done before and thus it was kinda forgettable.

Peelee
2019-11-12, 01:42 PM
You take that back! That is James Marsden.

Yeah, he's not random, he's a specific human co-star nobody cares about!:smallamused:

Ramza00
2019-11-12, 01:59 PM
Yeah, he's not random, he's a specific human co-star nobody cares about!:smallamused:

I care, I care *cries* 😭

Ortho
2019-11-12, 03:34 PM
Well, this is actually a decently put together trailer. I honestly didn't think that they had it in them, but this...looks competent. And the humor isn't as cringe-inducing.

Traab
2019-11-12, 04:34 PM
Well, Sonic himself certainly looks a million times better, can't fault them there anymore. And this trailer actually makes it seem like they have some idea of the kind of tone a Sonic film should have, which is also an improvement. And the trailer actually spent more time focusing on Sonic rather than on random humans nobody cares about, again, also an improvement. And there was that brief glimpse of the Green Hill Zone at the start there, which momentarily got me hoping that maybe they'd actually revised this into a proper Sonic film.

Unfortunately that's not the case though. We're still stuck with the "Sonic but in the real world!" plot complete with random human co-star nobody cares about, Sonic still looks out of place in the real world at best even if he isn't a hideously deformed version of himself anymore, and "Doctor Robotnik" is still Robotnik in name only and acts like a total buffoon. All in all, still looks likely to be a forgettable, mediocre movie at absolute best to me. Just another video game movie adaptation like any other.

Robotnik could be pretty danged buffoonish in the cartoon with the robot chicken and such in it. Like full raul julia as m bison ham while also trying to be evil and threatening. So if thats the robotnik carrey is going for, he could be nailing it. Especially if its something that escalates over time because trying to catch sonic is driving him literally crazy. I might actually watch this at some point.

Zevox
2019-11-12, 04:37 PM
You take that back!
No. Regardless of the actor, making a random human character Sonic's co-star is a bad idea. It's a Sonic movie, it should be focused on him - and if the story needs secondary leads, there's plenty of characters of his to work with, top of the list being Tails.

It's like when the Transformers movies decided to spend a ton of time with random people rather than the title characters. It partially defeats the purpose of making a movie about those characters in the first place.

Robotnik could be pretty danged buffoonish in the cartoon with the robot chicken and such in it. Like full raul julia as m bison ham while also trying to be evil and threatening. So if thats the robotnik carrey is going for, he could be nailing it. Especially if its something that escalates over time because trying to catch sonic is driving him literally crazy. I might actually watch this at some point.
Everyone was kind of dumb in that cartoon - yet even there Robotnik had more dignity than this version seems to, unless my memory of it fails me.

Kitten Champion
2019-11-12, 04:52 PM
I liked James Marsden in West World, though it's also the only thing i remember him being in.

Still, yeah, it's another -- I don't even know what term I'd use for it or if one exists already, but it's a "we don't have the budget/imagination to work in the canonical fantasy/SF setting, so we're moving it to wherever's cheapest to shoot"-type movies. There are a surprisingly large number of them.

While I came off pretty meh about Detective Pikachu, the highlight of the movie for me was looking around to see what the production were doing with the sets and background effects. Though there was a distracting amount of the Gherkin building - I believe the egg-shaped building is called - showing up in the city shots, I wish they used something a little less notable.

False God
2019-11-12, 09:03 PM
While I didn't mind the original design, this is indeed a dramatic improvement.

Still probably gonna wait for video though.

Strigon
2019-11-13, 09:09 AM
The redesign looks much better, for sure.
Also, and maybe I'm behind the curve on this one, but is Sonic voiced by the new Ducktales' Dewey Duck? Because he sounds identical.

LaZodiac
2019-11-13, 09:57 AM
The redesign looks much better, for sure.
Also, and maybe I'm behind the curve on this one, but is Sonic voiced by the new Ducktales' Dewey Duck? Because he sounds identical.

This is correct, voiced by the same guy.

Ornithologist
2019-11-13, 09:59 AM
I do think they did a much better job with the redesign...

I'm still worried that it will be a meh movie...but...

I am going to a theater showing for it because I want to reward the studio for listening to fans mid production. Support with my wallet after all.

I want the studio's thought process to be, We changed it because they disliked it in trailers, and then the movie was financially successful. We should listen more often.

Bartmanhomer
2019-11-14, 04:27 PM
They did a much better job with Sonic redesign. I like that redesign better than the old design. I'm so looking forward to see this movie and give my reviews about it. :smile:

Dragonus45
2019-11-14, 10:18 PM
This actually got a few laughs of me, and the new design looks good. I'm probably gonna check this one out in theaters just for Jim alone. Although I wish it were a better adaptation of the actual plot of Sonic. Which actually has some really good plot stuff, especially in the comics.

Psyren
2019-11-15, 02:00 AM
No. Regardless of the actor, making a random human character Sonic's co-star is a bad idea. It's a Sonic movie, it should be focused on him - and if the story needs secondary leads, there's plenty of characters of his to work with, top of the list being Tails.

It's like when the Transformers movies decided to spend a ton of time with random people rather than the title characters. It partially defeats the purpose of making a movie about those characters in the first place.

Eh, Detective Pikachu showed that formula can work though. I'm meh on this one but that's not the reason.

JoshL
2019-11-15, 11:05 AM
I want to see the movie they showed in the first 20 seconds of the trailer. Even just reverse the formula, Robotnik goes from Earth to Sonic's world, and James Marsden accidentally comes along for the ride. Sure, you'd end up with more cg characters than human characters, but people are still pretending the Lion King remake was "live action" somehow.

But I like alien/otherworld/dream movies, so maybe I just don't like Earth very much.

Dragonus45
2019-11-15, 12:11 PM
I want to see the movie they showed in the first 20 seconds of the trailer. Even just reverse the formula, Robotnik goes from Earth to Sonic's world, and James Marsden accidentally comes along for the ride. Sure, you'd end up with more cg characters than human characters, but people are still pretending the Lion King remake was "live action" somehow.

But I like alien/otherworld/dream movies, so maybe I just don't like Earth very much.

My hope is that they use this movie to set up Sonic's world for sequels and/or spinoffs. Or even perhaps use some of the alternate universe Robotnik/Eggman stuff like they did in the comics. If the legal troubles that tanked that don't preclude using the very concept of multiple Jim Carreys in the movie.

Manga Shoggoth
2019-11-15, 01:04 PM
I'm not a Sonic fan (barely played any of the games, have a smattering of information about the series), and frankly, to me it doesn't look too bad. I mean, it's not going to be the next Citizen Kane, but it doesn't look like it's doomed to end in fire either.

Sonic isn't nearly as grating as many CGI characters (let alone characters in a film partly aimed at a younger demographic), and Dr Robotnik sounds like an amusing character to watch.

I'm getting a far better feel from it than I did from - say - the Mario Bros film.

Peelee
2019-11-15, 01:11 PM
I'm not a Sonic fan (barely played any of the games, have a smattering of information about the series), and frankly, to me it doesn't look too bad. I mean, it's not going to be the next Citizen Kane, but it doesn't look like it's doomed to end in fire either.

Sonic isn't nearly as grating as many CGI characters (let alone characters in a film partly aimed at a younger demographic), and Dr Robotnik sounds like an amusing character to watch.

I'm getting a far better feel from it than I did from - say - the Mario Bros film.

Say what you will about the Super Mario Bros movie, the casting was on point. Bob Hoskins and John Leguizzamo would have completely sold Mario and Luigi in a better-written movie.

Bartmanhomer
2019-11-15, 01:25 PM
Say what you will about the Super Mario Bros movie, the casting was on point. Bob Hoskins and John Leguizzamo would have completely sold Mario and Luigi in a better-written movie.

The Super Mario Bros movie was a meh movie in my opinion.

Traab
2019-11-15, 04:25 PM

People sometimes like to talk smack about john but I tend to enjoy him in movies. I even found him really well cast in that romeo and juliet movie. "Peace? Peace?! I hate the word. As I hate Hell, all Montagues... and thee." Yeah the entire film, ESPECIALLY the starting scene was beyond absurd, but he did a really great job imo of being the intimidating "Oh no, TYBALT is here!" kind of guy. (I also loved the idea of setting the film in modern times with the original script)

Peelee
2019-11-15, 04:27 PM
People sometimes like to talk smack about john but I tend to enjoy him in movies.

Whaaaaaa? Dude always gives a quality performance! I'll fight those people, Leguizamo's always awesome.

Anonymouswizard
2019-11-15, 04:43 PM
Sonic not causing nightmares has killed my interest for seeing this in a cinema.

The thing that annoys me is that, if you want a) an origin story and b) a human main character, why tell Sonic's origin? I have little interest in knowing Sonic's origin, I suspect the game versioon is 'sonic be fast, one day Dr Robotnik started turning animals into robots, Sonic decided to save them'. The origin I want to see is Dr Robotnik, what drives a man to try to take over the world with hamster powered robots? What happened to make him embrace the name Eggman? Why does he keep leaving the Chaos Emeralds in Special Stages instead of in a safe on a space station?

The other things that could make me want to see this film are Mighty, Ray, and the complete removal of all dialogue. Mainly because I think M&R deserve more focus and because the removal of dialogue would make it more like the games I enjoy (consistingof Sonic Mania and occasioally thr first three).

LaZodiac
2019-11-15, 04:54 PM
Sonic not causing nightmares has killed my interest for seeing this in a cinema.

The thing that annoys me is that, if you want a) an origin story and b) a human main character, why tell Sonic's origin? I have little interest in knowing Sonic's origin, I suspect the game versioon is 'sonic be fast, one day Dr Robotnik started turning animals into robots, Sonic decided to save them'. The origin I want to see is Dr Robotnik, what drives a man to try to take over the world with hamster powered robots? What happened to make him embrace the name Eggman? Why does he keep leaving the Chaos Emeralds in Special Stages instead of in a safe on a space station?

The other things that could make me want to see this film are Mighty, Ray, and the complete removal of all dialogue. Mainly because I think M&R deserve more focus and because the removal of dialogue would make it more like the games I enjoy (consistingof Sonic Mania and occasioally thr first three).

That's what they're doing though.

Like it's pretty clear Sonic doesn't have an Origin in this film, and that Eggman starts more serious and "realistically" dressed, and slowly deranges himself as he licks that quill of Sonic's he has (WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THIS BY THE WAY?????) so... yeah. You're getting what you want, AND Sonic is a nightmare amalgam.

Anonymouswizard
2019-11-15, 05:20 PM
That's what they're doing though.

Like it's pretty clear Sonic doesn't have an Origin in this film, and that Eggman starts more serious and "realistically" dressed, and slowly deranges himself as he licks that quill of Sonic's he has (WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THIS BY THE WAY?????) so... yeah. You're getting what you want, AND Sonic is a nightmare amalgam.

Like a Robin Hood film with the Sherif of Nottingham as the main character? I can get behind that kind of film (although I do think it's suggesting Eggman is starting halfway through his origin story). Although it is being billed as a Sonic Origin Story, which makes me worried they're not going to focus on Eggman enough to give us a truly good Eggman Origin.

Side note: what's the big deal with origin stories? I don't care what the hero's origin is, I want to see them doing hero stuff! If I have to sit through one more Robin Hood or King Arthur film that insists on being an origin story I'm going to get angry, just start it in Sherwood Forest or Camelot (also, bring back Robin Hood the yeoman, not Robin Hood the noble).

Anyway, back to Sonic. I'm really unsure about Eggman as shown by the adverts, a lot of whether or not I enjoy this film is going to be based on how serious versus silly Eggman is. Serious all the time would of course be a disaster, but Eggman to me has never been a 100% silly villain and so I'm going to need some straight laced villain scenes alongside 'wacky fun stuff'.

DigoDragon
2019-11-15, 05:59 PM

I'm wondering if the lack of other Sonic characters is because they want to put them at the end as a sequel hook. If so, that annoys me because really this movie could use a few more Sonic characters and less humans.

My heart will always be with Lou Albano and Danny Wells. :smallbiggrin:

Velaryon
2019-11-15, 06:41 PM
I have no interest in seeing this movie whatsoever, but now I'm starting to feel slightly conflicted over it. Changing a movie in response to audience advice is very admirable, and something I wish more studios would do - so now I kind of want this movie to do well.
Not enough to actually watch it, I think, but still.

This pretty much encapsulates my feelings about the movie. I like that they responded to feedback and made changes, but I still think it's a bad concept and that Sonic, while certainly an improvement over the original design, still looks a LONG way from good.

I've yet to see a CGI-cartoon-anima-in-a-live-action-movie that looks at all good to me. I'll take Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Space Jam, even Coolworld over Detective Pikachu and Sonic any day.

People sometimes like to talk smack about john but I tend to enjoy him in movies. I even found him really well cast in that romeo and juliet movie. "Peace? Peace?! I hate the word. As I hate Hell, all Montagues... and thee." Yeah the entire film, ESPECIALLY the starting scene was beyond absurd, but he did a really great job imo of being the intimidating "Oh no, TYBALT is here!" kind of guy. (I also loved the idea of setting the film in modern times with the original script)

It's been 20+ years since I was forced to watch that movie in high school English class, but from what I remember John Leguizamo is the only person who put on a consistently good performance throughout the film. The guy playing Mercutio got it together pretty well for his death scene, but for the rest of the film he was pretty mediocre and everyone else was pretty bad throughout.

Same here, at least for the live action segments. As a kid I never saw the Super Mario Bros. Super Show on TV but I did have VHS tapes of a few episodes. It wasn't until I got the show on DVD that I discovered every episode was pretty much the same plot over and over, but the live action segments still hold up pretty well and are funny, plus the guests were always fun.

The movie, on the other hand, was terrible from start to finish.

LaZodiac
2019-11-15, 07:06 PM
Like a Robin Hood film with the Sherif of Nottingham as the main character? I can get behind that kind of film (although I do think it's suggesting Eggman is starting halfway through his origin story). Although it is being billed as a Sonic Origin Story, which makes me worried they're not going to focus on Eggman enough to give us a truly good Eggman Origin.

Side note: what's the big deal with origin stories? I don't care what the hero's origin is, I want to see them doing hero stuff! If I have to sit through one more Robin Hood or King Arthur film that insists on being an origin story I'm going to get angry, just start it in Sherwood Forest or Camelot (also, bring back Robin Hood the yeoman, not Robin Hood the noble).

Anyway, back to Sonic. I'm really unsure about Eggman as shown by the adverts, a lot of whether or not I enjoy this film is going to be based on how serious versus silly Eggman is. Serious all the time would of course be a disaster, but Eggman to me has never been a 100% silly villain and so I'm going to need some straight laced villain scenes alongside 'wacky fun stuff'.

PEople like origin stories because one, people like it when stories start at the beginning. The Origin is usually "the period right when the exciting stuff is about to start". They're also good for aclimitizing to the world, or getting to know the character if they're new. They're also good for Franchising, since an origin story can be fairly self contained.

I mean he's Jim Carrey. He's gonna either suck a lot or be a highlight of the film. It seems like the intent is that he starts 100% serious and eventually evolves into like, 80% silly over the course of the film.

Peelee
2019-11-15, 07:11 PM

Different styles of media. Captain Lou was amazing, but Bob Hoskins would be better for a full-length movie. Hoskins would have been terrible in the SMBSS, though. Hell, the captain could have handled the whole 22 minutes live action if they'd let him. They're both fantastic Marios in their own rights.

Anonymouswizard
2019-11-15, 07:19 PM
PEople like origin stories because one, people like it when stories start at the beginning. The Origin is usually "the period right when the exciting stuff is about to start". They're also good for aclimitizing to the world, or getting to know the character if they're new. They're also good for Franchising, since an origin story can be fairly self contained.

Yes, but sometimes, sometimes it's nowhere near the most interesting point of the story, especially if we've seen it before. I'm not sure if we've had a Sonic+Eggman Origin, so it might be worthwhile from that perspective, but it's about as simple a setup as 'Robin Hood ishiding in Sherwood Forest, the Sheriff of Nottingham is hunting him'. I don't strictly need to know why Robin is hiding in the forest to enjoy the story, because the characters are archetypal and there's a lot of things you can do with them.

Like, in this case I'm willing to give it a pass, but if we get another Sonic movie attempt in say five years and it's another origin story, I'll be annoyed in the same way that every Robin Hood film that's been released in my lifetime has been an orign story and annoys me (I didn't even bother seeing the last, because I like Robin Hood*).

Anyway, back to Sonic. Part of my problem is that I'm going to compare these to the Sonic Mania shorts, which I found really entertaining partially because they stuck to the very roots and kept things simple. Everything I've seen about this film seems to be 'we're making it more complicated, therefore we need an origin story to explain it'.

* What? It's pretty much the one English myth that is well known in other countries. King Arthur is Welsh.

I mean he's Jim Carrey. He's gonna either suck a lot or be a highlight of the film. It seems like the intent is that he starts 100% serious and eventually evolves into like, 80% silly over the course of the film.

I got the impression that he begins at about 40% serious and just plumets. Especially if that 'who's in charge here' scene is from early on. But who can say.

Strigon
2019-11-16, 12:02 PM

I'm sort of with you there. I still might actually see the movie, mostly because I like the theatre experience and because Jim Carrey looks like he actually might be entertaining to watch (in a low-brow, "let's turn our brains off and just enjoy some escapism for a couple hours" sort of way,) but as much as I respect their commitment to the redesign, I was most interested in the movie for the meme. Without that? I dunno, would anyone watch The Room if Tommy Wiseau weren't so awesome at being awful?
Seriously, I have no acting experience to speak of, but I physically cannot be as bad an actor as him. No matter how hard I try, I always make "Oh, hi, Mark" sound way more natural than he does. It's an eternal mark of shame for me.

... The origin I want to see is Dr Robotnik, what drives a man to try to take over the world with hamster powered robots? What happened to make him embrace the name Eggman? Why does he keep leaving the Chaos Emeralds in Special Stages instead of in a safe on a space station?

I always thought he hated that name, and Sonic called him that deliberately to antagonize him.

I'm with you on the origin story front, too. Usually, I find them terribly boring, because they take about a third of the movie at least.
In some cases, they're necessary; most of the MCU heroes, for example, were unfamiliar enough to the general population to warrant them. But things like Batman, Spiderman or Superman don't need origin stories anymore. We all know how they came to be, and we don't need to see it again. Throw in a few minute of flashbacks for the people who are genuinely out of the loop if you must, but don't give us 40 minutes of an average guy, or someone who's just gotten powers but isn't doing anything.
Megamind did this very well; five minutes in, and we know all we need to know.
The new Spiderman movies did it even better - by not doing it. We still get to see his first real supervillains, but we don't have to go through the whole "normal Peter Parker in high school" shtick again.

Finally, that's what makes me genuinely hope for a sequel. That last scene in the original trailer? With bald Jim Carrey in the desert? I want more of that already, and it's clear we aren't going to get it.
The movie will never get a sequel, of course, because anyone genre savvy enough to care about Sonic will recognize how little effort was put forth into this movie, but I still want it.

Zevox
2019-11-16, 01:14 PM
I always thought he hated that name, and Sonic called him that deliberately to antagonize him.
As far as I'm aware his own feelings on it or where the nickname originated in-universe aren't ever addressed. It basically came about because of a localization issue - in Japan he was always called Eggman, but the American localization of the Genesis games called him Robotnik instead, apparently without consulting the Japanese developers. When Sonic Adventure came around they changed it so that he'd be called Eggman everywhere, but it's technically a nickname, and Doctor Ivo Robotnik is his "real" name that just never gets actually used anymore.

LaZodiac
2019-11-16, 02:26 PM
Yeah that's basically the idea. In the first cutscene where Sonic meets Eggman in Adventure he says something like "hey that's not my name" and that's all it's ever brought up with.

Anonymouswizard
2019-11-16, 04:09 PM
Yeah that's basically the idea. In the first cutscene where Sonic meets Eggman in Adventure he says something like "hey that's not my name" and that's all it's ever brought up with.

He's actually a it stroppy about it, but yeah. It's pretty much an excuse to change to Eggman, but it's so weirds to just have the one line and not a more developed switchover.

Millstone85
2019-11-16, 05:27 PM
it's so weirds to just have the one line and not a more developed switchover.I believe Nintendo had a similar experience with localization:

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000195401652-4z88q5-t250x250.jpg

Nice way to merge her Japanese and American names into one.
But, AFAIK, her "last name" was never mentioned afterward.

Peelee
2019-11-16, 10:17 PM
I believe Nintendo had a similar experience with localization:

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000195401652-4z88q5-t250x250.jpg

Nice way to merge her Japanese and American names into one.
But, AFAIK, her "last name" was never mentioned afterward.

When I played that as a kid I thought peach was the kind of cake she made.

DigoDragon
2019-11-17, 09:41 AM
Same here, at least for the live action segments. As a kid I never saw the Super Mario Bros. Super Show on TV but I did have VHS tapes of a few episodes. It wasn't until I got the show on DVD that I discovered every episode was pretty much the same plot over and over, but the live action segments still hold up pretty well and are funny, plus the guests were always fun.

Indeed yeah. The cartoon was pretty silly, but Lou always felt like the best voice of Mario in my mind.

Different styles of media. Captain Lou was amazing, but Bob Hoskins would be better for a full-length movie. Hoskins would have been terrible in the SMBSS, though. Hell, the captain could have handled the whole 22 minutes live action if they'd let him. They're both fantastic Marios in their own rights.

I think Lou could do a movie, except for that little annoying detail that he's been deceased for quite some time. :smallredface:

Something my wife mentioned when she saw the trailer, and that I wonder too, is why didn't they have Carrey just look the part of Dr. Robotnik from the beginning? We both think Carrey could potentially be a great hammy Robotnik and possibly steal the movie, but waiting until much later in the movie to look the part seemed unnecessary.

Traab
2019-11-17, 10:20 AM
For me the problem with jim carrey is, he either plays jim carrey in costume, or he plays a real role. I loved the truman show for example. It was a great example of the kind of acting he could do, but he tends to fall back into variations of fire marshall bill from In Living Color. Ace ventura, Me myself and irene, the grinch, the mask, (he was able to do kinda both with that too be fair, ipkiss was fairly decent of a character) and now this robotnik. Zany hyper mannerisms and exaggerated facial expressions combined with silliness.

LaZodiac
2019-11-17, 10:21 AM
They have Eggman started sane (well, as sane as you can be if your immediate reaction to seeeing a blue quill charged with magical lightning is to lick it) is to show first hand WHY people are after Sonic's power tm, it's very powerful but also very corrupting. It's a way of making the movie feel deeper thematically.

Rodin
2019-11-17, 05:24 PM
I got the impression that he begins at about 40% serious and just plumets. Especially if that 'who's in charge here' scene is from early on. But who can say.

That scene alone killed any enthusiasm I had* for this movie.

It's a scene that makes me want to punch both the character AND the writer who came up with the scene. It's offensively stupid.

It's also a scene that they thought was a highlight of the comedy good enough to put into the trailer. That's as good as the comedy gets. Can you imagine how much worse the rest of the comedy is going to be?

No, I don't think there will be anything worth paying money to see here. I do expect it to be entertainingly bad though. I look forward to seeing it torn apart on Youtube.

*not that there was a lot of it to begin with

Zevox
2019-11-17, 11:45 PM
That scene alone killed any enthusiasm I had* for this movie.

It's a scene that makes me want to punch both the character AND the writer who came up with the scene. It's offensively stupid.

It's also a scene that they thought was a highlight of the comedy good enough to put into the trailer. That's as good as the comedy gets. Can you imagine how much worse the rest of the comedy is going to be?

No, I don't think there will be anything worth paying money to see here. I do expect it to be entertainingly bad though. I look forward to seeing it torn apart on Youtube.

*not that there was a lot of it to begin with
Very much agreed. Robotnik is one of the chief reasons (along with the "Sonic in the real world" premise) that even the genuinely much improved redesign and the far superior tone of the second trailer don't change my interest in the film, and that scene is Exhibit A for why, both for those reasons and because it makes it impossible to ever take the character seriously. And while Robotnik isn't a 100% serious Grand Admiral Thrawn type villain by any means, he's definitely not one you're supposed to find utterly idiotic and non-threatening either, which is where a scene like that leaves him.

Floogal
2019-11-18, 03:41 PM
I don't know, compare the two 90's Sonic cartoons. On the menacing <--> goofy scale, "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" was quite far to the right, "Sonic the Hedgehog" was quite far the left. So there's precedent for a variety of interpretations. (Both had great voice actors for their roles.)

Traab
2019-11-18, 04:28 PM
Plus, among his brilliant plans for defeating sonic he had a wrecking ball swinging around under his flying machine and that was pretty much his first try at killing sonic, it didnt get much less silly from there.

Peelee
2020-02-22, 01:39 PM
So I've actually heard nothing but good things about this movie. To the point that I'm fully planning on seeing it now, which is a complete 180 and not something I'd have thought I'd say before it came out.

flat_footed
2020-02-22, 02:53 PM
I have seen it, and will say I was very surprised how much I enjoyed the movie.

MCerberus
2020-02-22, 03:15 PM
So I've actually heard nothing but good things about this movie. To the point that I'm fully planning on seeing it now, which is a complete 180 and not something I'd have thought I'd say before it came out.

It's very, very tropey with the base plot being pretty stock. It's pretty much carried by the tissue around that skeleton being done better than similar movies except the criminally underrated Rocky and Bullwinkle movie. So if you're okay with that and would enjoy peak Jim Carrey it's a solid watch

Bartmanhomer
2020-02-22, 03:26 PM
I saw Sonic The Hedgehog movie last week and I'm going to tell you my review of the movie.

Ok Sonic The Hedgehog was actually an origin movie. Sonic comes from another dimension he was raised by an owl The Echinacea raids and shot Sonic adopted mother. He went to Earth and met a human named Mick Wachowski. (I think that his name.) He met and fought Dr Robotnik )(Eggman) who was thin with hair and a short moustache. Sonic defeated and send him to the Mushroom dimension. In the end, Eggman was fatter, longer moustache and bald. And Tails arrived at Earth to look for Sonic. This movie was good. I enjoy everything about it. I'm glad that they resigned Sonic even though I like the old design but that just my opinion. I enjoy it because the movie was funny and Jim Carrey did a good job performing Eggman. The only issue I have with this movie is just not award-winning material. I'll give this movie 4 out of 5 stars. :smile:

Psyren
2020-02-23, 05:03 AM
Saw it (don't judge me, we weren't able to see Birds of Prey at the theater we went too and didn't feel like going elsewhere), and it was... fine. I had a lot of little nitpicks (how does Sonic know what things like Uber and livestreaming are from living in a podunk 100-person small town in Montana? And the whole roadtrip scenario strained disbelief too.) Sonic's dialogue and actions were also the sort of cringey "how do you do fellow kids" behavior that I expect a bunch of executives imagine Gen Z talks and acts like - e.g. Sonic does the floss dance, because of course he does - but as far as video game movies go I've seen much much worse, so this was... fine.

Sonic himself was a bit annoying, but James Marsden was funny and likeable, and Jim Carrey wasn't as bad as I thought he was going to be from the trailers. The origin of the "Eggman" moniker was fairly contrived but at least they got that out of the way.

The beginning with the owl felt like it belonged in a completely different movie.

Lemmy
2020-02-23, 07:29 AM
I'm hearing mostly good things about Sonic. I think I'll use the holidays to see it.

Worst case scenario... I spend 90 min watching a dumb summer comedy. It's not like there's anything else to see, anyway.

Kareeah_Indaga
2020-02-23, 10:20 AM
It's not like there's anything else to see, anyway.

This is my reaction too. The trailers didn't wow me, but it might be a good enough excuse to get out of the house for a bit. As long as I don't regret seeing it afterwards, it'll be a win.

Kato
2020-02-24, 07:54 AM
It was perfectly fine, which I guess is close to perfection for a video game movie.
Sadly, I think this might have been the first movie in a long time I've seen in German because nobody's airing a kids movie in English here..
But I hardly minded. Was it perfect? No. But it was entertaining enough for 90 minutes and Mr Carrey got me nostalgic more than Sonic did, to be honest. I could still list a bunch of problems but for a kids movie and a video game movie I won't complain.

(not sure how I'd compare it to the obvious (?) genre rival Detective Pikachu but going with my gut I'd say they are about on par)

Lemmy
2020-03-02, 02:06 PM
Watched it this weekend.

Turned out to be pretty entertaining. Not amazing, but fun enough for me to enjoy my time.
And it looks like it'll make a hefty chunk of money... Who would have imagined that listening to your audience would be more profitable than antagonizing and gaslighting them, huh?

Oh, right... EVERYONE. EVERYONE KNEW THAT. But apparently Hollywood has to learn this basic lesson again... And sadly, they aren't the only ones...

MCerberus
2020-03-02, 06:03 PM
Oh, right... EVERYONE. EVERYONE KNEW THAT. But apparently Hollywood has to learn this basic lesson again... And sadly, they aren't the only ones...

Scott.
Pilgrim.

There's a ton of old baggage about properties with strong geek-culture attachment that comes straight from that movie's failure. It reviewed well with both audiences and critics, nobody saw it, then it was a big piracy target when it hit video.

Lemmy
2020-03-02, 11:49 PM
Scott.
Pilgrim.

There's a ton of old baggage about properties with strong geek-culture attachment that comes straight from that movie's failure. It reviewed well with both audiences and critics, nobody saw it, then it was a big piracy target when it hit video.
I think that was more a case of Scott Pilgrim being a relatively unknown franchise. It was popular, but not as popular as they thought, IMHO. I know plenty of geeks who barely knew anything about the series at the time (myself included).

I still maintain that trying to listen and please your audience will far more often than not be much more profitable than antagonizing, gas-lighting and slandering them. Turns out, people don't like that, and are less than eager to spend their hard-earned money to be lectured by multi-billionaire corporations and out-of-touch celebrities and cry-bullies.

But, hey... They can keep trying. I'm perfectly fine keeping my money in my wallet. And I'm clearly not alone in that.

Kareeah_Indaga
2020-03-03, 05:59 PM
I still maintain that trying to listen and please your audience will far more often than not be much more profitable than antagonizing, gas-lighting and slandering them. Turns out, people don't like that, and are less than eager to spend their hard-earned money to be lectured by multi-billionaire corporations and out-of-touch celebrities and cry-bullies.

Second this. This is part of why I swore off ESO for the year.

Fyraltari
2020-03-03, 06:16 PM
Second this. This is part of why I swore off ESO for the year.

Elder Scrolls Online?

Peelee
2020-03-03, 07:12 PM
So it was way better than I expected (which was a very low bar, to be fair), but there were two issues I had pretty much the entire time. The first being that characters seemed to have audience knowledge throughout; for example, Robotnik never showed any credentials, but the sheriff believed him 100%, despite Robotnik starting off by lying about who he was.
Or Tom knowing Robotnik's name, despite (I believe) him never hearing it. Things like that.

Then there was the hanging chad of Tom being openly labelled as a terrorist, with a national broadcast, and then not being recognized as such by anyone but his sister-in-law and the government or media never revoking said status.

Kato
2020-03-04, 01:36 AM
So it was way better than I expected (which was a very low bar, to be fair), but there were two issues I had pretty much the entire time. The first being that characters seemed to have audience knowledge throughout; for example, Robotnik never showed any credentials, but the sheriff believed him 100%, despite Robotnik starting off by lying about who he was.
Or Tom knowing Robotnik's name, despite (I believe) him never hearing it. Things like that.

Then there was the hanging chad of Tom being openly labelled as a terrorist, with a national broadcast, and then not being recognized as such by anyone but his sister-in-law and the government or media never revoking said status.

I didn't notice the first thing, maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. But yes, the second was a big issue.
Putting aside whether they want to keep this kind of secret or start a(n inter)national manhunt, nobody recognizing him was extremely weird, even if it was only a short time.
I guess they might have revoked it after the finale, though, but not sure how well that would work.

Peelee
2020-03-04, 01:41 AM
I didn't notice the first thing, maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Maybe a better example would be Robotnik seizing the quill immediately and using it as proof that Donut Lord was harboring Sonic. Robotnik, at that point, had a footprint. Why does he see the quill as anything other than an unknown item lying around? He's never seen Sonic at that point. But it's all the proof he needs somehow.

Fyraltari
2020-03-04, 02:43 AM
Maybe a better example would be Robotnik seizing the quill immediately and using it as proof that Donut Lord was harboring Sonic. Robotnik, at that point, had a footprint. Why does he see the quill as anything other than an unknown item lying around? He's never seen Sonic at that point. But it's all the proof he needs somehow.

Because the quill is very unusual and in close proximity to Sonic’s last position so it is likely that the two are connected. And if they aren’t the only consequence would be to have inconvenienced Tom, which Robotnik won’t lose sleep over.

Also he is very cocky.

DigoDragon
2020-03-04, 12:51 PM
Saw the movie over last weekend and laughed a lot more than I expected. Jim Carey really gave it his A game humor.

Kareeah_Indaga
2020-03-07, 02:02 PM
Saw it today. Impressions as follows:

1.) I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
2.) Jim Carrey was not a good fit for Robotnik.
3.) I desperately want to see a crossover between this and Iron Man. :smallbiggrin:

Elder Scrolls Online?

Correct.

Maybe I was imagining things, but I thought I saw footprints in the driveway gravel leading up to Donut Lord's house when Robotnik was walking up. Presumably they were Sonic's. And then the quill would have just been obviously out-of-place enough to act as confirmation.

Fyraltari
2020-03-07, 02:36 PM
Correct.

I will probably regret asking but what do you mean exactly?

Traab
2020-03-07, 05:34 PM
I will probably regret asking but what do you mean exactly?

Im guessing but I assume the devs kept ignoring the customers and changing stuff in terrible ways, ticking off the player base. I still remember the good old days of everquest, when they nerfed monks so hard it spawned literally thousands upon thousands of pages of rage on the class message board. Everything from carefully gathered evidence of exactly how many ways the nerf messed the class up to inventive screaming about how and in what painful time frame they wanted the devs to die. They literally had to create an entire section for monk rage posts on the class forum to contain it all so it wouldnt bury everything else on the message board. I mean, every time a class gets a nerf the class complains about how unfair it is, but this was such a massive backlash I tend to think the devs only kept it in place for as long as they did out of spite and some strange desire to not make it look like they could be forced to backtrack by the players.

Kareeah_Indaga
2020-03-08, 09:08 AM
Im guessing but I assume the devs kept ignoring the customers and changing stuff in terrible ways, ticking off the player base.

In general yes. In the interest of not derailing this further please go to the Elder Scrolls thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?577748-The-Elder-Scrolls-XV-This-is-my-Thu-um-Stick&p=24390157#post24390157) and I'll answer there.

ON TOPIC...was it just me or were the bad guys at the beginning

Echidnas?

Because this raises questions about how they're going to do Knuckles.

DigoDragon
2020-03-08, 09:27 AM
ON TOPIC...was it just me or were the bad guys at the beginning
Echidnas?

Because this raises questions about how they're going to do Knuckles.

They seemed
to be Echidnas to me. Sounds like a good setup to show Knuckles' antagonist side against Sonic.

With Tails at the end looking for Sonic, my guess is there's a small resistance movement fighting back against that tribe back in Sonic's home dimension.

MCerberus
2020-03-08, 08:44 PM
They seemed
to be Echidnas to me. Sounds like a good setup to show Knuckles' antagonist side against Sonic.

With Tails at the end looking for Sonic, my guess is there's a small resistance movement fighting back against that tribe back in Sonic's home dimension.

I actually hope Jimbotnik is the ultimate threat at the end via Metal Sonic. I think that's the endpoint for the quill anyway. One of the cool things about the (minimalist) story in Sonic 3 was pulling back after the Sonic vs Knuckles fight and seeing the scale of Robotnik's plans.

Plus it would provide closure for Sonic's personal arc to, with his friends, fight the sociopathic embodiment of what other people would do with his powers.
Then for a third movie Carrey would be perfect to play an over-the-edge madman that would either have the ruby from Mania or try and control Chaos. Wait no that last storyline draws too close to introducing Big the Cat.