PDA

View Full Version : Making an Aristocrat/Founding Father

blackjack50
2019-11-12, 10:05 AM
I am basing a character on some founding fathers. The character will obviously be a noble background. But what I am curious about is class. I’m looking to have the character play more social interactions and such. He wouldn’t be much of a combatant, so should I take a bardic background? Or are there better options for strong role play characters (charis/intel/wis).

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-12, 10:15 AM
I am basing a character on some founding fathers. The character will obviously be a noble background. But what I am curious about is class. I’m looking to have the character play more social interactions and such. He wouldn’t be much of a combatant, so should I take a bardic background? Or are there better options for strong role play characters (charis/intel/wis). If your objective is to be the party "face" Mastermind Rogue or any of the Bard choices are pretty good. One of the things I like about Mastermind is the use of a bonus action to give another party member advantage.

You could also take the Noble background and play a sorcerer specializing in support spells and social skill proficiencies. :smallcool: Divine soul might fit into what you have in mind. (Xanathar's Guide to Everything). Baseline Draconic works as well.

Note: you still need to have a few combat/damage options open since this is a party game. Sometimes, you'll be needed to assist in taking down enemies who do not respond to social efforts.

Lastly: Warlock is not out of the question. I think Pact of the Tome or Pact of the Chain might work. Tome: There are some ritual spells that can help your party. Chain: that familiar can be a great little spy who helps you set up social encounters by digging up information on social opponents. (Imps and Sprites do that invisible spy thing pretty well)

Justs out of curiosity:
Who else is in the praty, class wise?

blackjack50
2019-11-12, 10:43 AM
If your objective is to be the party "face" Mastermind Rogue or any of the Bard choices are pretty good. One of the things I like about Mastermind is the use of a bonus action to give another party member advantage.

You could also take the Noble background and play a sorcerer specializing in support spells and social skill proficiencies. :smallcool: Divine soul might fit into what you have in mind. (Xanathar's Guide to Everything). Baseline Draconic works as well.

Note: you still need to have a few combat/damage options open since this is a party game. Sometimes, you'll be needed to assist in taking down enemies who do not respond to social efforts.

Lastly: Warlock is not out of the question. I think Pact of the Tome or Pact of the Chain might work. Tome: There are some ritual spells that can help your party. Chain: that familiar can be a great little spy who helps you set up social encounters by digging up information on social opponents. (Imps and Sprites do that invisible spy thing pretty well)

Justs out of curiosity:
Who else is in the praty, class wise?

Thus far we do have a rogue. And we have a fighter/barb/Paladin. Not sure yet exactly. That player has only had an idea for a character. Our 4th is probably going to be a caster from a bad family. He is always a caster from a bad family lol.

Lupine
2019-11-12, 10:43 AM
An interesting choice might be monk. No. Please. Hear me out.
It wouldn't be optimized, but the idea of monk fits really well with a thinker (meditation is literally the art of thinking.). Plus, having fighting capabilities in "unarmed" situations could be killer. Pun intended.

With shadow, and a thief/mastermind rogue party member, you could know what your adversaries are thinking about doing before they even tip their hand.

THEN. Monk has calligraphers tools. Time to fake a few letters, and drive the opposition into chaos. Rogue plants them. Combine with bard, and you've got a good face to go with, who can talk people out of things. Also, this team up works well for combat. (I would know. I DM this party, and they are very persistent about not dying, even when I low-key try to screw them over. grr.)

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-12, 10:48 AM
Thus far we do have a rogue.
And we have a fighter/barb/Paladin. Not sure yet exactly. That player has only had an idea for a character.
Our 4th is probably going to be a caster from a bad family.
He is always a caster from a bad family lol.
You have rogue
You have fighter/martial
You have 'Caster'

Bard or Warlock fits perfectly, though I'd go half elf to boost language and skill proficienies.

Thought: GOO, Pact of the Chain strikes me as almost perfect.
1. Telepathy. (Useful in a lot of situations)
2. Spy (pick a familiar that can turn invisible ...)

Or Bard, Valor.
A bit more protection with the shield and armor, good social skills, and some decent support and social spells.

Grey Watcher
2019-11-12, 11:43 AM
While there's a strong argument to be made for going the caster route, I'd just like to point out that you could draw inspiration from the people whose background was more military (eg George Washington) and go with a martial class. Fighter's Battlemaster, Purple Dragon Knight, and Samurai all have features that are at least decent in social situations, though admittedly Samurai is bit more focused on personal combat than leadership. (I realize Purple Dragon Knight is a sub-optimal choice in general, but this is also the specific niche that it's designed, however well or poorly, to fit.) You could also go with Paladin, especially Oath of the Crown (ironic, yes, but you can re-flavor it as Oath of Patriotism or somesuch while keeping the mechanics intact).

Just a thought I felt like putting out there. Depending on exactly what kind of caster the caster from a bad family is, you could do worse than having a second guy who can hold his own in hand-to-hand combat.

blackjack50
2019-11-12, 12:51 PM
While there's a strong argument to be made for going the caster route, I'd just like to point out that you could draw inspiration from the people whose background was more military (eg George Washington) and go with a martial class. Fighter's Battlemaster, Purple Dragon Knight, and Samurai all have features that are at least decent in social situations, though admittedly Samurai is bit more focused on personal combat than leadership. (I realize Purple Dragon Knight is a sub-optimal choice in general, but this is also the specific niche that it's designed, however well or poorly, to fit.) You could also go with Paladin, especially Oath of the Crown (ironic, yes, but you can re-flavor it as Oath of Patriotism or somesuch while keeping the mechanics intact).

Just a thought I felt like putting out there. Depending on exactly what kind of caster the caster from a bad family is, you could do worse than having a second guy who can hold his own in hand-to-hand combat.

It isn’t terrible to pick one of those. Some founders were known for their military backgrounds. My character won’t be that particular kind of military. Just a quartermaster. Supplies and such. Basically a supply clerk. I’d be open to mixing him some combat. I’d honestly love to make him prone to dueling lol.

IronMike
2019-11-12, 12:53 PM
An interesting choice might be monk. No. Please. Hear me out.
It wouldn't be optimized, but the idea of monk fits really well with a thinker (meditation is literally the art of thinking.). Plus, having fighting capabilities in "unarmed" situations could be killer. Pun intended.

With shadow, and a thief/mastermind rogue party member, you could know what your adversaries are thinking about doing before they even tip their hand.

THEN. Monk has calligraphers tools. Time to fake a few letters, and drive the opposition into chaos. Rogue plants them. Combine with bard, and you've got a good face to go with, who can talk people out of things. Also, this team up works well for combat. (I would know. I DM this party, and they are very persistent about not dying, even when I low-key try to screw them over. grr.)

Great idea. Thanks for this.

blackjack50
2019-11-12, 12:53 PM
You have rogue
You have fighter/martial
You have 'Caster'

Bard or Warlock fits perfectly, though I'd go half elf to boost language and skill proficienies.

Thought: GOO, Pact of the Chain strikes me as almost perfect.
1. Telepathy. (Useful in a lot of situations)
2. Spy (pick a familiar that can turn invisible ...)

Or Bard, Valor.
A bit more protection with the shield and armor, good social skills, and some decent support and social spells.

Yes. I’m trying to determine how much of a fan of espionage I want him to be. He would recognize the value, but I’m flavoring him as more of that gentlemen of the 1700s so he may also be more of a face man too. A negotiator. I’ve got to read more on the warlock lol.

Paeleus
2019-11-12, 01:52 PM
Disgraced Crossbow Expert Fighter (probably BM) with high charisma a la Aaron Burr.

Cleric of Liberty (Life/Light/Arcana[Freemasonry]/Knowledge); Kinda makes me think of Ben Franklin (especially if hes a tad bit lecherous).

Herald of Columbia (Celestial Warlock/Divine Soul)

Hail Tempus
2019-11-12, 02:09 PM
A wizard with high charisma and proficiency in Nature and Persuasion= Benjamin Franklin.

Ventruenox
2019-11-12, 03:56 PM
Mödley Crüe: But we aren't going to discuss any politics here, even in a historical sense.

Have you seen the UA Bard College of Eloquence (https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-EloquentHeroics.pdf)? Mix in a two level dip into Hexblade for medium armor & shield proficiency and CHA SAD. Refluff Eldritch Blast as something patriotic and go to town. Your versatility in and out of combat may be worth the delayed spell progression, especially if the Spell Versatility in the Class Features UA (https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-ClassFeatures.pdf) is used at your table.

Any background or even a custom one would work. I would say that your character's backstory, flaws, ideals, and bonds are more likely to be the most important aspect to your character concept.