PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Crimson Spear of Duke Garvoyl

Tornadofyr
2019-11-12, 11:28 PM
Inspired by the Rod of Count Rhodar Von Glauer from the Chain by Matt Colville, I made the Crimson Spear (Really a lance) of Duke Garvoyl, a powerful vampire known for killing the First Angel, He Who Bears The Halo From Which Crowns Are Forged. When awakened over time, it grants its wielder most of the abilities vampires have, but in-world, vampires only mimic the Spear's properties.

The Crimson Spear: Artifact Weapon (Thrown Lance, deals 2d6 piercing damage on hit, Strength-based)

Gives +3 to Attack and Damage rolls.

Legacy of Garvoyl: Undead obey you above all others, bowing to their king's representative. Undead cannot attack you, and if you spend a bonus action commanding them, will obey your orders, disregarding their summoner's commands.

Any suggestions for other properties?

JNAProductions
2019-11-13, 12:13 AM
It's already ridiculously OP.

+3 weapon is powerful, but no-save, no resistance OBEY ME! against all undead is insane!

Trandir
2019-11-13, 04:00 AM
So this is Frostmourne but without the all powerful lich that tries to control you? Looks fine if this is either the final boss weapon or a reward for a high level quest and after that you no longer face undeads.

If you want to give it an even bigger larger than life status you could add something along these lines:

Return: after you throw the spear you can spend a Bonus Action to call it back to your hand.

Mist Sostitution (3 charges): when you are the target of an attack or spell you can cast the Misty Step spell as a reaction by expending a charge. You leave behind an image of yourself made of mist. This item recovers one charge of Mist Sostitution every twilight.

Summon Greater Demon (2 charges): as an action you can expend a charge to cast Summon Greater Demon without needing to provide the material components and you don't have to concentrate on the spell to maintain it. This item secovers up to 2 charges of Summon Greater Demon the 8th twilight after expending one.

Combat Form: as an action you can cast Tenser's Transformation without needing to provide the material components and you don't have to concentrate on the spell to maintain it. After you use Combat Form you have to wait 2 weeks before using it again.

Again this item by concept should never be used by players but a boss monster with normal stats could use a OP magic item to live up to the expectations.

Tornadofyr
2019-11-13, 09:05 AM
I have since edited the spear so the Legacy of Garvoyl, while still not allowing a save, can only be used on an particular undead a number of times equal to 5 minus their highest mental modifier.

I quite like the idea of giving a very weak, but sentient, undead the spear and using the subsequent monster as a boss.

Tornadofyr
2019-11-13, 03:51 PM
I have decided that the Legacy of Garvoyl works like the Necromancer's Command Undead feature, which allows me to add a minor vampiric property: When you hit with it, it deals 2d8 extra necrotic damage. You regain hit points equal to half the total necrotic damage dealt, including other effects.