PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Creating a fey based humanoid. Looking at youn-ti as the base. Need help.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-13, 04:43 AM
Hello guys :)

I am going to run a game for some friends and it is going to be the first game of a good friend.

She wants to be the child of a unicorn(they are a powerful fey in my world).

She will be playing a fey warlock so I want the race to her.

For the ability score bonus I gave it a +2 cha because fey are charismatic and +1 dex because unicorns are horses with horns.

I what to change the immunity to a condition of damage type but it hard for me to find something that fits.

I will keep the advantage to saves vs magic.

I also can't choose racial spells.

I am asking you for help because you guys have a lot of experience with homebrew.

I know that making her based on Youn-Ti is very strong but it is a high power campaign and she will need this little power boost to keep up with the party.

Trandir
2019-11-13, 05:08 AM
Hello there not an expert but I can try:

Ability Score: Unicorsn are strong and wise, you might consider putting the +1 on one of those rather than Dex but as it is is fine.

Unicorns are immune to poison so why do you want another type of immunity? It both fits and is "balanced"

For the spells at will detect good/evil and once per day at lv 3 calm emotions with Cha spellcasting ability seems fine.

And that's it for me. Good luck for this homebrew

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-13, 05:17 AM
Hello there not an expert but I can try:

Ability Score: Unicorsn are strong and wise, you might consider putting the +1 on one of those rather than Dex but as it is is fine.

Unicorns are immune to poison so why do you want another type of immunity? It both fits and is "balanced"

For the spells at will detect good/evil and once per day at lv 3 calm emotions with Cha spellcasting ability seems fine.

And that's it for me. Good luck for this homebrew
So I may miss the fact that unicorns where immune to poison.

And the spells look good to me.

Do you have an idea for a cantrip instead of poison spray?
I am thinking about friends but you may have a different idea.

And thank you :)

Trandir
2019-11-13, 05:25 AM
So I may miss the fact that unicorns where immune to poison.

And the spells look good to me.

Do you have an idea for a cantrip instead of poison spray?
I am thinking about friends but you may have a different idea.

And thank you :)

Oh right the cantrip. I forgot that.

Druidcraft for a fluff/utility cantrip. The warlock will get eldrich blast so there isn't really a need for more damaging cantrips.

If you really want one you could homebrew a shillelag that works off Charisma rather than Wisdom.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-13, 05:41 AM
Oh right the cantrip. I forgot that.

Druidcraft for a fluff/utility cantrip. The warlock will get eldrich blast so there isn't really a need for more damaging cantrips.

If you really want one you could homebrew a shillelag that works off Charisma rather than Wisdom.

I was thinking about druidcraft but I do have a druid in this game.

I will like to avoid shillelagh because I don't want her to want to go to melee.

Composer99
2019-11-13, 07:28 AM
Unicorns are celestials in 5e, so they might not be the most reasonable basis for building a fey-based race. However, if they're fey in your setting or if you want to stick to unicorns as the theme, well and good.

Elvish types are descended from fey, and they have advantage on saving throws against being charmed and can't be put to sleep by magic. If you want to play up a fey angle, that might be the way to go, along with, say, resistance to poison damage.

As a cantrip option, unicorns already get druidcraft, so that does seem like the best option for a unicorn-descended being. Otherwise, dancing lights seems suitable. Or, instead of a cantrip, a 1/long rest use of faerie fire.

Paleomancer
2019-11-13, 09:25 PM
The Tiefling gives a pretty good model fpr how you might build this race.
* +2 Charisma if you're looking for the standard Fey glamour. +1 to Strength or Constitution for the horsey strength/endurance.
* Immunity to poison is probably fine, but in a pinch resistance to poison might work just as well. Perhaps advantage on saving throws vs. charm and sleep?
* Darkvision 60 ft.
* Fey Magic: Druidcraft would work well as a thematic and mostly flavourful starting ability. Maybe Faerie Fire 1/long rest at 2nd level, starting at character level 3rd?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-14, 05:16 AM
Ok, I will finish the race tonight, thank you all for the suggestions and help.
(Tomorrow is the first session we will play in, we only had session zero until now).

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-16, 05:43 AM
I ended up with:
at will detect good/evil(fey only) and once per day at lv 3 calm emotions
Darkvision 60 ft
Druidcraft
Immunity to poison
You have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Cha +2 Dex +1

JNAProductions
2019-11-16, 09:15 AM
I ended up with:
at will detect good/evil(fey only) and once per day at lv 3 calm emotions
Darkvision 60 ft
Druidcraft
Immunity to poison
You have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Cha +2 Dex +1

See, this is why you don't use Yuan-Ti as a base. They're too good for a race.

This is actually BETTER than a Yuan-Ti too! Basically the same, only better stats. (No one really needs Charisma AND Intelligence, but plenty of people need Charisma and Dexterity.)

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-11-16, 01:07 PM
See, this is why you don't use Yuan-Ti as a base. They're too good for a race.

This is actually BETTER than a Yuan-Ti too! Basically the same, only better stats. (No one really needs Charisma AND Intelligence, but plenty of people need Charisma and Dexterity.)

I know, but it helps me with balancing the powers in game.

I made it stronger because I know she will need it to be closer the the others.

I was trying to make something stronger in the first place.

This is a high power game and she is way behind the others.

JNAProductions
2019-11-16, 02:59 PM
Fair enough-I’d make a disclaimer noting that this is more potent than normal races, though, in case others want to use it.