PDA

View Full Version : Witch Hunter for Eberron (official books only)

Arkhios
2019-11-13, 10:00 AM
Okay, I think I'm finally settling on the character I want to play in our upcoming Embers of the Last War campaign, and it's a Lawful Good V.Human Acolyte of the Silver Flame; Argentum Agent/"Witch Hunter", with Aberrant Dragonmark for additional twist and flavor.

I'm pretty certain the character will be at least partly an Artificer, but I'm still not sure if I want him to be an Alchemist or Artillerist. Likely no more than 5 levels in Artificer, because I want the character to be physically strong and a capable warrior. The other class is definitely going to be Fighter, but I haven't decided on the archetype. Eldritch Knight could be interesting and would help progress spell slots a bit. Alternatively both Cavalier and Battle Master could work.

Any ideas?

jaappleton
2019-11-13, 10:06 AM
Okay, I think I'm finally settling on the character I want to play in our upcoming Embers of the Last War campaign, and it's a Lawful Good V.Human Acolyte of the Silver Flame; Argentum Agent/"Witch Hunter", with Aberrant Dragonmark for additional twist and flavor.

I'm pretty certain the character will be at least partly an Artificer, but I'm still not sure if I want him to be an Alchemist or Artillerist. Likely no more than 5 levels in Artificer, because I want the character to be physically strong and a capable warrior. The other class is definitely going to be Fighter, but I haven't decided on the archetype. Eldritch Knight could be interesting and would help progress spell slots a bit. Alternatively both Cavalier and Battle Master could work.

Any ideas?

Well, you gotta tell me what you want to go.

Just remember that Artificers don't get extra attack anymore. Only Battlesmiths. So plan your levels accordingly, if that matters to you.

Arkhios
2019-11-13, 03:49 PM
Yes, I'm aware that only Battlesmiths get Extra Attack. In fact, I dropped Battlesmith intentionally, as I was planning to grab Extra Attack from fighter.

What I want to do is to make a mix between John Constantine, Geralt of Rivia, Kaulder (Vin Diesel's immortalized non-witch Last Witch Hunter) and Van Helsing. Kinda like a switch-hitter, but with actual magic at his disposal, relying on magic and/or crossbows with ranged attacks while in melee delivering punishment with his longsword.

If I went with Artillerist, his Eldritch Cannon would definitely be of the Tiny variation, and act like a mystical one-handed gun, basically (which would replace the Crossbows, of course). An alchemist, however, would be a bit more subtle magic-user, and as such might be better if the character wanted to remain relatively unassuming while tracking his prey.

We get to start at 2nd level, so I could be Artificer1/Fighter1 from the beginning. Probably gravitating towards Fighter first, then Artificer, because Heavy Armor is nice.

Rara1212
2019-11-13, 06:16 PM
Inquisitor Rogue has some nice flavor to it for that, but then you'd probably want to go more for a single attack a turn.
Re-flavor a rapier to a long-sword &you have a nice Dex build.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-14, 11:49 AM
I'd go Eldritch Knight (if you're going Artillerist you're likely not going to be eligible for most maneuvers anyway), it's a shame you want to drop BS, the Iron Defender could have been your witch hunting blood hound. Between the ID, the Homunulous and a Familiar you could quickly find and herd your prey into a killzone.

...I mean a fair legal trial, judged by their peers where the outcome may or may not be burning.