PDA

View Full Version : Cooperative Crafting

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-11-13, 10:14 AM
Can someone explain how it works, because my Dm has informed me that if I want to (for example) craft a scroll of a spell that I don't know, but my Party's Druid does (I'm playing an archivist) my druid also has to have scribe scroll for him to be able to assist in crafting the scroll (Casting the spell at the required intervals).

I have rarely played a character that does any crafting, let alone playing an archivist/wizard that is trying to find the most efficient way to get as many spells as possible. What I assumed I could do, was pay a Druid/Paladin/Ranger/Shamen/Shugenja/Healer/Divine casting class to cast a spell for me a certain number of times, and I could scribe it into a scroll. But my Dm has told me that for me to do that, they have to also have scribe scroll in order for them to be able to assist in crafting in that way. Is this right, am I just dumb?

Jowgen
2019-11-13, 10:36 AM
Magic Item Compendium p. 232 has the most recent rules on the topic, this seems to be the pertinent section for your purposes.

All items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of feats and spells that the item’s creator must know, although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed. It’s perfectly acceptable for two or more characters to work together to create a magic item, with each character supplying some of the prerequisites. (In all places where this text refers to the “creator” of a magic item, it includes all characters supplying at least one prerequisite for the item’s creation.) The XP cost must always be paid by the character who supplies the item creation feat required by the item, no matter how many other characters cooperate in its creation.

Not that there are several ways around the Exp rule for this.

Telonius
2019-11-13, 10:39 AM
Here are the rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#prerequisites) for 3.5:

Prerequisites
Certain requirements must be met in order for a character to create a magic item. These include feats, spells, and miscellaneous requirements such as level, alignment, and race or kind. The prerequisites for creation of an item are given immediately following the item’s caster level.

A spell prerequisite may be provided by a character who has prepared the spell (or who knows the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard), or through the use of a spell completion or spell trigger magic item or a spell-like ability that produces the desired spell effect. For each day that passes in the creation process, the creator must expend one spell completion item or one charge from a spell trigger item if either of those objects is used to supply a prerequisite.

It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary.

If two or more characters cooperate to create an item, they must agree among themselves who will be considered the creator for the purpose of determinations where the creator’s level must be known. The character designated as the creator pays the XP required to make the item

It's slightly ambiguous, since it doesn't outright say whether or not everybody who cooperates needs the feat to join in. My own reading of it is that the line, "with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites," means that as long as somebody in your group of cooperating people has the craft feat (or the spell, or whatever other requirement there is), your group has met the prerequisite and can make the item. However, to be designated as the Item Creator (for level purposes), you would need the feat; since the feat is what allows you to "create" an item.

Railak
2019-11-13, 12:09 PM
You both need the feat
Cooperative Crafting
Prerequisites
1 rank in any Craft skill, any item creation feat
Benefits
You can assist another character in crafting mundane and magical items. You must both possess the relevant Craft skill or item creation feat, but either one of you can fulfill any other prerequisites for crafting the item. You provide a +2 circumstance bonus on any Craft or Spellcraft checks related to making an item, and your assistance doubles the gp value of items that can be crafted each day.

Telonius
2019-11-13, 01:02 PM
Ah, yeah, that would be a good thing to clarify - is this 3.5, or Pathfinder? (The "Cooperative Crafting" feat is from Pathfinder, the other rules we posted were 3.5).

RatElemental
2019-11-13, 02:26 PM
If the druid had scribe scroll, why would it need to be cooperative crafting at all? The druid would meet all of the prerequisites at that point.

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-11-14, 02:06 PM
***CLARIFICATION***
This is in 3.5, my group has never really liked pathfinder, and since we were all born and raised in 3.5, we prefer to keep our distance.

The Random NPC
2019-11-14, 08:27 PM
Even if this was Pathfinder, the situation described is the same. Only one of you needs Scribe Scroll.

Ramza00
2019-11-14, 08:37 PM
PHB2 has both a spell and a feat to help with cooperative crafting. While this stuff is in PHB2 it is also online as a web enhancement.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a