PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Minions

Ruethgar
2019-11-13, 11:22 AM
So I’ve a low level Shadowcraft Mage who won’t be getting higher level or gaining new spells beyond maybe some from feats. He can Shadow Illusion up to 4th level spells and I was looking for ways to have somewhat long term illusionary minions.

Currently he can have Phantom Guards and Servant Horde as multi-day effects for the appearance, but all I can find for the combat ability is Steeldance as far as shadow replicable spells. The servants can move the swords(since otherwise they have no movement ability). The guards can be set to at least follow their respective sword if not “hold” it. Steeldance can last a few minutes, but only two swords which I guess is ok for low level. The duration is good for an encounter as guards even if a bit clunky as aggressors(directing unseen servants and swords to attack together is a bit meh vs ‘defend this line’ and done).

However this is all a bit much and I was wondering if there were a way to consolidate it into one spell, or at least two, without jeopardizing the hours per level aspect. I know there’s an Invisible Spell feat, but is there a visible one? Would Spell Thematics be enough to overwrite Unseen Horde’s invisibility?

Edit: Shadow Guardians. Severely tainted with evil, but raised the spell level enough to Extra Spell it onto the list.

Miss Disaster
2019-12-04, 03:38 PM
This thread came & went .... yet it looks rather interesting. I'll research this a bit tonight and see what I can come up with.

Ruethgar, I am curious if you need this combo/setup for a stationary battle ... or one that involves travel?

Ruethgar
2019-12-04, 08:13 PM
Was looking for one that allowed travel and Shadow Guardians managed to fit the bill of all in one shadow minions, more than well enough for my purpose. I also found the spell Hound of Doom which is rather versetile having all handle animal tricks available to it. That means it can speak short messages, is fully trained for every purpose, can wear armor, and has a slew of skills available to it.

It would be nice to be able to manage a more skillful companion. I realize you could just Cohort a Dark creature, but would rather it come from magic. Like a shadow clone of yourself or something.