PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Vegan (Jokey PrC)

RatElemental
2019-11-14, 02:10 AM
I was joking around with a friend of mine, and this is the result of that. I sure hope at least someone enjoys this. I also hope I haven't completely botched how psionics work. Beware: this is probably wildly unbalanced. I won't mind any tips on how to be more clear, however.

The Vegan
https://media.tenor.com/images/cead48bd3f6570ff54ce07afeeed3f1d/raw

For those who have proven their dedication to veganism, the full power of the mind is laid open for them to command.

D6 Hit Die

Prerequisites: Must have abstained from any animal products for at least one year, 6 ranks in any Perform skill, 6 ranks in at least one of Bluff, Diplomacy or Intimidate.

Class Skills: As Bard, but with Autohypnosis added, and Psicraft and Use Psionic Device replacing Use Magic Device and Spellcraft.

Skill Points: 4+Int Modifier.

Level
BAB
Fort
Will
Reflex
Special
Powers Points Per Day
Powers Known
Max Power Level Known

1st
+1

+1

+2

+2

Vow of Veganism, The Power Within
1st

2nd
+1
+1
+3
+2
+1 Level in Casting Class
2nd

3rd
+2
+2
+3
+3
The Power Without, +1 Level in Casting Class
3rd

4th
+2
+2
+4
+3
+1 Level in Casting Class
4th

5th
+3
+2
+4
+3
Level 5 Vegan, The Power Encompassing, +1 Level in Casting Class
5th

Powers: At each level, a vegan chooses new powers known, restricted in power levels known and number of powers known as indicated by the table. She draws from the psion list, as well as discipline lists (see below). Her manifesting ability is charisma.

Vow of Veganism: A Vegan has vowed to uphold their vegan lifestyle. Should a vegan ever consume milk, honey, eggs, meat or wear leather, or any other food or clothing made from or derived from animals, then 3 rounds after the offense occurs two Vegan Police will appear before them. The Vegan police are near godlike beings, and will strike the vegan with a de-veganizing ray, stripping them of all manifesting powers (not just from this class) until they atone by abstaining from animal products for a year plus one month per vegan level and receiving an atonement spell.

The Power Within: When Selecting powers, a first level vegan may choose powers from the psychokinetics and psychometabolism disciplines.

Casting Progression: At second level and each one after, the vegan gains new spells per day and an increased caster level as if they had gained a level in any class capable of casting spells that they already possessed, if any.

The Power Without: When Selecting powers, a third level vegan may choose powers from the telepathy and clairsentience disciplines.

The Power Encompassing: When Selecting powers, a fifth level vegan may choose powers from the psychoportation and metacreativity disciplines.

Level 5 Vegan: A Vegan who makes it this far has proven their dedication to veganism. The Vegan police now afford them two strikes before appearing on the third. In addition, by successfully taunting an opponent or flaunting their superiority, they can regain power points.

For taunts, treat this as an opposed roll between the vegan's intimidate check and the foe's will save. Upon success, the vegan regains power points equal to the amount they beat their opponent's roll by divided by 3 (round down).

For flaunting, the vegan makes a bluff or diplomacy check against the will save of someone who is at least indifferent towards them. Upon success the target's attitude is changes to unfriendly, and the vegan regains 1 power point per category they shifted to get there.

These abilities only work on intelligent creatures who the vegan shares a language with, and require a full round action to carry out.

pi4t
2019-11-19, 11:44 AM
It's conventional to give every manifester a copy-paste block of text explaining power points. Here's the one for the Psion, for example:

Power Points/Day

A psion’s ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points he has available. His base daily allotment of power points is given on Table: The Psion. In addition, he receives bonus power points per day if he has a high Intelligence score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Power Points). His race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items.

The "Powers" ability would normally be written as "Powers Known", too.

Something worth considering is the character's manifester level, which is very important in psionics - it caps how many power points you can spend on a single power. Since a 5th level power (for example) costs 9 points, as you've written it a vegan has to take the practised manifester feat in order to be able to cast their higher level powers. You might want to consider giving it to them for free (and, if you're concerned about balance, adding a feat tax like skill focus to the class prerequisites). Or just have their manifester level increase by 2 every level after the first.

I'd also like to point out that if this is for 3.5 rather than Pathfinder, you can enter the prestige class at level 4. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but most PrCs don't let you in until level 6 in my experience.

The chassis (bab, saves, etc) is also...strange. Normally BAB would go either 1-2-3-4-5, or 0-1-2-3-3, or perhaps 0-1-1-2-2 for casters. This one starts off as full bab and then slows down. Saves would normally go either 0-0-1-1-1 or 2-3-3-4-4. (Pathfinder, incidentally, instead goes with a less dip-encouraging 0-1-1-1-2 and 1-1-2-2-3). Also, Reflex is normally placed before Will.

heavyfuel
2019-11-21, 12:12 PM
Vow of Veganism: A Vegan has vowed to uphold their vegan lifestyle. Should a vegan ever consume milk, honey, eggs, meat or wear leather, or any other food or clothing made from or derived from animals, then 3 rounds after the offense occurs two Vegan Police will appear before them. The Vegan police are near godlike beings, and will strike the vegan with a de-veganizing ray, stripping them of all manifesting powers

Wait! Don't I get three strikes?!

Level 5 Vegan: A Vegan who makes it this far has proven their dedication to veganism. The Vegan police now afford them two strikes before appearing on the third.

I don't think Todd was a high level vegan. He was 24yo and had recently graduated from Vegan College. Anyway, consider giving this capstone earlier. :smalltongue:

Overall I think the class is really really strong. You can get 5th level powers at ECL8, which don't make sense, since 5th level powers cost 9pp, which means a minimin CL of 9.

Honestly, I'd scrap this separate psionic progression and simply say "+1 level of existing manifesting class" at every level, while maintaining the caveat of Power Within and Power Without to restrict disciplines