PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous caster using higher-level slots?

Hiro Quester
2019-11-14, 12:59 PM
In the Players handbook it says this about Spell slots:

A spellcaster always has the option to fill a higher-level spell slot with a lower-level spell. For example, a 7th-level wizard has at least one 4th-level spell slot and two 3rd-level spell slots (see Table 3–18: The Wizard, page 55). However, the character could choose to prepare three 3rd-level spells instead, filling the 4th-level slot with a 3rd- level spell. A spellcaster who lacks a high enough ability score to cast spells that would otherwise be his or her due still gets the slots but must fill them with spells of lower level.

This section is mostly about Wizards and preparing spells. Can a spontaneous caster like a sorcerer, also cast a 3rd level spell out of a fourth level slot? (e.g. if I need that 3rd level spell, but have used up my 3rd levels slots for the day, can I cast it out of a 4th level slot)?

Or do you need the Heighten Spell feat to do that? Or Does Heighten Spell just ensure your can use the Higher DC of that higher spell slot?

Eldonauran
2019-11-14, 01:04 PM
Heighten spell only increases the effective level of the spell to match the level of the slot it is prepared in (or cast from), which is used for DC calculation and other mechanical interactions. You can always use your higher level slots to cast your lower level spells through, whether you are a spontaneous caster or prepared caster. Those spells still count as their original spell level.

Spellcasting for a spontaneous caster is very similar to that of a prepared caster, except where it is explicitly stated to be different. Spontaneous casters can fill their higher level slots with spells (or cast them) the same as a wizard does, they just don't need to prepare the spell before hand (which is the main difference between prepared and spontaneous casting).

Ramza00
2019-11-14, 01:10 PM
Yes Sorcerers and other Spontaneous Casters can do a lower level spell in a higher level slot. It is merely wasteful to cast grease in a 2nd level slot when you "want" to cast heighten grease, or incendiary slime and so on.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-11-14, 01:12 PM
I can't quote you anything that says such but I've never heard of anyone doing it different. The example is a wizard but there's nothing suggesting it's limited to prepared casters.

Not that heighten is such a bad idea.

Ruethgar
2019-11-14, 01:53 PM
I tend to let spontaneous use the spell points system to give it that more spontaneous, freeform, feel. Then you don't have to worry about lower spells in higher slots.

nedz
2019-11-15, 06:46 PM
Yep. I call this Downcasting, but whatever.