PDA

View Full Version : Best Direct Damage Bard Spells? (Non Magical Secrets)

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-11-14, 04:10 PM
Just toying with spell lists again for my level 10 Lore Bard and I'm noticing that between levels 10 & 14 I'm not adding any magical damage causing spells. Animate Objects ROCKS and Conjure Woodland Beings is exciting. Polymorph combined with my Bag of Devouring can be an instant win button. They just don't cause direct magical damage which would be nice sometimes.

I feel like some of the best spells in the game are in my arsenal but maybe its the 3 levels of picking up Mass Suggestion and Forcecage that have me bummed. What should I be looking at?

Oh, I have:
Vicious Mockery - Fun, when I use it on near death enemies and "talk them to death" it gets a laugh
Dissonant Whispers - Opportunity attack creator and does some damage.
Thunderwave - Gets me out of melee
Heat Metal - Win Win Win but I swear we haven't fought anyone in armor in 20 sessions lol
Phantasmal Force - Crippling but not much damage
Shatter - Decent damage and range. Somehow this causes more complications than the Wizard exploding a Fireball does lol.

Appleheart
2019-11-14, 04:27 PM
Just toying with spell lists again for my level 10 Lore Bard and I'm noticing that between levels 10 & 14 I'm not adding any magical damage causing spells. Animate Objects ROCKS and Conjure Woodland Beings is exciting. Polymorph combined with my Bag of Devouring can be an instant win button. They just don't cause direct magical damage which would be nice sometimes.

I feel like some of the best spells in the game are in my arsenal but maybe its the 3 levels of picking up Mass Suggestion and Forcecage that have me bummed. What should I be looking at?

Oh, I have:
Vicious Mockery - Fun, when I use it on near death enemies and "talk them to death" it gets a laugh
Dissonant Whispers - Opportunity attack creator and does some damage.
Thunderwave - Gets me out of melee
Heat Metal - Win Win Win but I swear we haven't fought anyone in armor in 20 sessions lol
Phantasmal Force - Crippling but not much damage
Shatter - Decent damage and range. Somehow this causes more complications than the Wizard exploding a Fireball does lol.

Synaptic Static is pretty awesome.

Nidgit
2019-11-14, 04:33 PM
Bards aren't really about direct damage in the first place. If it's really what you're craving, Magical Secrets is right there.

Synaptic Static, in the meantime, is a fantastic 5th level damaging and debilitating spell. If your DM allows UA, the recent expanded Bard spell list includes Mental Prison and Prismatic Spray for more damage.

SteelArcana
2019-11-14, 04:46 PM
Animate objects can dish out some solid damage, though it is a 5th level spell and not "direct" damage like you said.

Before then, not considering magical secrets, you've pretty much listed the notable options.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-11-14, 06:42 PM
Synaptic Static, is a definite contender. Decent damage and a decent debuff in one.

Its something that keeps the caster involved also I suppose "helping" a DM remember the negative D6's and I do enjoy having a busy character.