PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Vaati (Wind Duke of Aaqa) Monster Stats [PEACH]

Rogue Shadows
2019-11-14, 08:28 PM
Damn it's been awhile since I've been on these boards...

Anyway, I'm slowly but surely gearing up to run a high-level 5e game that takes place across the Inner Planes, and so naturally one place the PCs might end up going is the city of Aaqa, where they could run into the mysterious Wind Dukes, the vaati. Here's their old 1e or 2e writeup and lore (http://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstrousmanual/v/vaati.html), can't tell, I'm not familiar enough with either system.

But in any event, I wanted some stats for the vaati, just in case my players come across them and decide to fight them or otherwise I need their stats (and since one of the potential adventures might involve stealing a Mote of Purest Air from Aaqa, that's quite likely). This is just intended as a chance for me to flex my monster-making muscles.

So...how'd I do? This is specifically supposed to be a Wergadeam, the most basic kind of vaati.

Vaati
Large elemental, lawful neutral
Armor Class 19 (natural armor)
Hit Points 127 (15d10+45)
Speed 30 ft., fly 90 ft. (hover)

Str 17 (+3), Dex 22 (+6), Con 17 (+3)
Int 16 (+3), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 15 (+2)

Saving Throws Dexterity +11, Intelligence +8, Wisdom +7
Skills History +8, Insight +7, Perception +7
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities cold, lightning, thunder
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 17
Languages Auran, Common, Primordial
Challenge Rating 13 (10,000 XP)

Innate Spellcasting. The vaati's innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence (save DC 16, +8 to hit with spell attacks). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- At will: detect magic, gust of wind
- 3/day each: lightning bolt, wind walk, wind wall
- 1/day each: conjure elemental (air elemental only), gaseous form, invisibility, control weather
Magic Weapons. The vaati's weapon attacks are magical.
Wind Duke. While on the Elemental Plane of Air, a creature with a Fly speed that makes an attack against the vaati must attempt a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw. On a failure, the attack fails and the action is wasted.

Multiattack. The vaati makes two attacks with its scimitar or two attacks with its longbow, then uses its Gale ability if available.
Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d8+6) slashing damage, plus 7 (2d6) cold, lightning, or thunder damage (the vaati's choice)
Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d10+6) piercing damage, plus 7 (2d6) cold, lightning, or thunder damage (the vaati's choice).
Gale (Recharge 5-6). Each creature within 30 ft. of the vaati must succeed on a DC 16 Strength saving throw or take 27 (6d8) bludgeoning damage and be pushed 30 ft. away from the vaati and be knocked prone. On a successful save, the damage is halved, and the creature is pushed 15 ft. instead and isn't knocked prone.