PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need some advice on advancing my Fighter/Sorcerer

dragsaw
2019-11-15, 12:40 AM
So we just hit lv 5 and im trying to decide of i should multi class into sorcerer now or get extra attack or as im a EK get 2nd level spells. Me and the paladin have a way to activate the extra damage on a homebrew blade-cantrip (damage if they dont move and attack with disadvantage but is a d6 and not a d8 like BB and GFB) so my damage should be around the same if we are able to combo together. I am a bit worried about being a bit lack luster compared to her though.

I am using great weapons and do have GWM, as for EK i will have a chance to retrain it later so im not sure if its worth keeping or swapping for samurai or battle master. My idea is fighter 11/sorc 9. So im also not sure the best order to take the levels from here. I do know that going to EK7 is a strong option but i feel that is delays meta magic and 3rd+ lv spells to late to be usefull.

We are currently in DH and are planing on doing DotMM next so i can plan for a full lv20 build.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-15, 12:54 AM
What are your stats like? I'd suggest picking up Extra Attack to keep you competitive damage wise then unless you need the stat bump switching over to Sorc.

dragsaw
2019-11-15, 12:57 AM
What are your stats like? I'd suggest picking up Extra Attack to keep you competitive damage wise then unless you need the stat bump switching over to Sorc.

Yeah stats would help.

18, 9 16, 14, 12, 16. My racial stat bonus (dragonborn)my CHA was always going to be higher than int.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-15, 01:15 AM
Yeah stats would help.

18, 16, 9, 14, 12, 16. My racial stat bonus (dragonborn)my CHA was always going to be higher than int.

Wait is that in order? You have a negative Con?

You don't really need much of an Int to be an EK, you could even go negative if you want. With an 18 in your primary you can afford to go straight into Sorc after Extra Attack without falling behind.

What are you planning to do for damage scaling if you're using GWM though?

dragsaw
2019-11-15, 01:21 AM
Wait is that in order? You have a negative Con?

You don't really need much of an Int to be an EK, you could even go negative if you want. With an 18 in your primary you can afford to go straight into Sorc after Extra Attack without falling behind.

What are you planning to do for damage scaling if you're using GWM though?

So i goofed, 16 con 9 dex. So the blade cantrip has a 2nd effect that i forgot about that makes whatever i hit in the area have disadvantage on weapon attacks but only does a d6 and not a d8 like BB and GFB. Its real strong but another player made it and the DM did approve it. But i strongly suspect it will be nerfed.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-15, 01:35 AM
So i goofed, 16 con 9 dex. So the blade cantrip has a 2nd effect that i forgot about that makes whatever i hit in the area have disadvantage on weapon attacks but only does a d6 and not a d8 like BB and GFB. Its real strong but another player made it and the DM did approve it. But i strongly suspect it will be nerfed.

Now that makes more sense! What are you looking to get out of Sorcerer though? Any particular spells you have in mind or strategies?

cullynthedwarf
2019-11-15, 01:40 AM
Is there something attractive about wild magic to you or are you just wanting a full caster class to add to your EK?

If its the latter what about a college of war bard? Just a thought also why that particular class break down 9\11 seems odd. 8\12 makes more standard sense or is there something vital you get as a 9th level fighter?

dragsaw
2019-11-15, 01:43 AM
Now that makes more sense! What are you looking to get out of Sorcerer though? Any particular spells you have in mind or strategies?

AoA is a big one, mostly because i have a ice magic thing going. That and 2-3 attacks with quicken spell seem like a fantastic combo, more so if i action surge. Quicken Haste and Quicken Hold Person/Monster are to major ones. Mostly as i have GWM (should have taken it later but hey) and Quicken Hold, then my attacks with GWM then again with action surge is nasty as it would be auto critting.

But yeah it was mostly as i wanted a good chunk of Melee and ice magic. Warlock was out because like half the group have warlock levels now or planned. That and i dint want a patron just for ice magic.

dragsaw
2019-11-15, 01:45 AM
Is there something attractive about wild magic to you or are you just wanting a full caster class to add to your EK?

If its the latter what about a college of war bard? Just a thought also why that particular class break down 9\11 seems odd. 8\12 makes more standard sense or is there something vital you get as a 9th level fighter?

Oh, no no friend. 11 fighter for 3 attacks and 9 sorc for 5th level spells.

Its mostly to add some caster levels but i also decided to have a ice theme and sorc fist the best with my stats

Dork_Forge
2019-11-15, 01:51 AM
AoA is a big one, mostly because i have a ice magic thing going. That and 2-3 attacks with quicken spell seem like a fantastic combo, more so if i action surge. Quicken Haste and Quicken Hold Person/Monster are to major ones. Mostly as i have GWM (should have taken it later but hey) and Quicken Hold, then my attacks with GWM then again with action surge is nasty as it would be auto critting.

But yeah it was mostly as i wanted a good chunk of Melee and ice magic. Warlock was out because like half the group have warlock levels now or planned. That and i dint want a patron just for ice magic.

Armor of Agathys isn't a Sorcerer spell (I think it might be on one of the Giant Soul's expanded lists though), though your DM may be willing to work with you (especially as an Ice Draconic Sorc).

dragsaw
2019-11-15, 01:54 AM
Armor of Agathys isn't a Sorcerer spell (I think it might be on one of the Giant Soul's expanded lists though), though your DM may be willing to work with you (especially as an Ice Draconic Sorc).

Yeah i was going to get it from frost giant sorc, you do have a good point i will ask him about grabbing it as dragon or even as a EK spell?

Dork_Forge
2019-11-15, 02:06 AM
Yeah i was going to get it from frost giant sorc, you do have a good point i will ask him about grabbing it as dragon or even as a EK spell?

It's worth trying, at the moment it doesn't really seem like you concept would particularly gain anything from MC sorc. You're not using Shadow Blade, metamagic would be nice but hardly your main schtick (and may just encourage nerfing of that cantrip) and not casting much in general. I think you should ask your DM if you can just pick up AoA (and some ice cantrips) from Magic Initiate and then cast it with your EK slots. Raw that doesn't work but it wouldn't really be unreasonable (especially as a third caster) to allow you to do that.

dragsaw
2019-11-15, 02:10 AM
It's worth trying, at the moment it doesn't really seem like you concept would particularly gain anything from MC sorc. You're not using Shadow Blade, metamagic would be nice but hardly your main schtick (and may just encourage nerfing of that cantrip) and not casting much in general. I think you should ask your DM if you can just pick up AoA (and some ice cantrips) from Magic Initiate and then cast it with your EK slots. Raw that doesn't work but it wouldn't really be unreasonable (especially as a third caster) to allow you to do that.

I did ask about that a while ago and was unfortunately shot down. Im waiting to hear back if i can grab it as EK or a normal sorc spell. I could just drop sorc but then i would need a ASI to get my int to match my CHA. Not my best idea to want a hybrid gish with the stats i rolled

Dork_Forge
2019-11-15, 02:44 AM
I did ask about that a while ago and was unfortunately shot down. Im waiting to hear back if i can grab it as EK or a normal sorc spell. I could just drop sorc but then i would need a ASI to get my int to match my CHA. Not my best idea to want a hybrid gish with the stats i rolled

Nothing is saying you need to raise your Int, neither AoA or the cantrip you described use it and an EK in general doesn't require a stellar int (and + is a bonus, but it's easy enough ot pick spells that don't require Int at all).

Saying that Sorc and EK CAN be a very fun build if you choose to go that route. One of my favourite games I played an EK and Ice mage Sorc, being able to actually use my staff as a weapon was very satisfying and whilst I wasn't casting as high as the other caster I could bust out Action surge as needed to pull of some very nice nova rounds. Twinning Ice Knife is also a fantastic low cost way to aoe a tight group.

cullynthedwarf
2019-11-15, 03:43 AM

If its the latter what about a college of war bard

Or am I missing something with the sorcerer?

Also thank you for clarifying about your level orders

dragsaw
2019-11-15, 03:46 AM
Or am I missing something with the sorcerer?

Also thank you for clarifying about your level orders

Sorc is mostly as i have a ice theme going and it was a good way to get some more cold spells, i will have a look at bard though!

HiveStriker
2019-11-15, 08:50 AM
So we just hit lv 5 and im trying to decide of i should multi class into sorcerer now or get extra attack or as im a EK get 2nd level spells. Me and the paladin have a way to activate the extra damage on a homebrew blade-cantrip (damage if they dont move and attack with disadvantage but is a d6 and not a d8 like BB and GFB) so my damage should be around the same if we are able to combo together. I am a bit worried about being a bit lack luster compared to her though.

I am using great weapons and do have GWM, as for EK i will have a chance to retrain it later so im not sure if its worth keeping or swapping for samurai or battle master. My idea is fighter 11/sorc 9. So im also not sure the best order to take the levels from here. I do know that going to EK7 is a strong option but i feel that is delays meta magic and 3rd+ lv spells to late to be usefull.

We are currently in DH and are planing on doing DotMM next so i can plan for a full lv20 build.
Hi!

The main advantages of going multiclass Sorcerer are:
- more spellcasting in general (quicker slot progression, earlier access to some nice spells like Mirror Image -although with your DEX it's not a good idea XD)
- ability to optimize slots (so if you tend to be a frontliner, converting one 4th level into two more Shields may be worht)
- action economy optimization (Subtle so you can cast while using a shield, Quicken to later pair Eldricht Strike with devastating AOE, or simply Careful/Empower).
I strongly suggest avoiding Twin because of the scaling cost and the fact it doesn't synergize equally well with all spells.

As for progression, well, I'd aim first for Fighter 5 / Sorcerer 1, then probably getting another level of Sorcerer early for metamagic conversion (2nd into 1st level slot can always be useful) then see what's most important.
Myself would definitely go for 3rd level of Sorcerer right now, because I love spells like Enhance Ability and I most always pick Subtle. But that does delay access to Eldricht Strike and 3rd attack by a modicum amount of time.
Whatever happens, my next "step" would probably be Fighter 10 / Sorcerer 5 though because I'm extremely fond of Eldricht Strike.
Of however you don't fancy making it the bread and butter of your tactics, then I'd choose between...
- Push Sorcerer as high as possible early, aiming then for a Fighter 6 / Sorcerer 9, because I want to Quicken spells as often as possible, and/or access more powerful spells because my party has limited spellcasting so far.
- Push Fighter as high as possible early, aiming for Fighter 11 / Sorcerer 4, just enough to be able to upcast Shadow Blade to empower 3rd attack while also having enough fuel for defensive spells.

In short: decide which of the following is a priority to you: Eldricht Strike, high level spells (and which ones), or plain weapon attacks with buffs. You should then have no trouble deciding how to level. :)